Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Head check and roundabouts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Robert Craggs, Jul 7, 2015.

1. #1 Robert Craggs, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    Hi there. Assuming I want to turn left at a roundabout, I do mirror signal head check, then move into left tyre position in the left lane. Now that I'm in the correct road position, I assume I don't need to do another head check before making the actual turn. What's expected for an assessment? I would also like to know the exact step by step procedure for right turn at roundabout, and straight across at a roundabout. I have a test in 3 weeks and have just realised I may be doing too much head and shoulder checks. I will speak to my instructor when I see him next week, but I'd like to clarify before I see him. Can anyone please help me. Much appreciated, cheers, Craggsie.

Ps: oh but of course I'd check and give way to the right
  2. You answered your own question mate. The instructor will give you the better answer compared to ours.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You don't need to do head checks at roundabouts.

I suggest not moving too far left in the lane prior to entering the roundabout as that leaves possibly enough room for some idiot behind you who plans on going straight or turning right to sneak up on your right and zoom through.

A further thing to remember about roundabouts and almost everyone gets this wrong, you don't necessarily give way to your right.

You give way to those leaving or already in the roundabout. You must not enter until there is a safe gap, but that doesn't give someone approaching from your right automatic right of way if you have entered the roundabout and they try to just speed through with an assumption that they have right of way.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. yup agree with TWEETTWEET , the give way to the right is not the law anymore but you watch how many drivers still adhere to "give way to the right" at roundabouts !!!. TWEETTWEET has explained perfectly how using a roundabout should be done but still be aware of those not up to date with the changes (I was one of them till corrected by daughter doing her L's :whistle: )
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It won't take too long to discover how drivers take advantage of any gaps you leave at intersections. Waiting to turn left at a round about, I had a driver beep me and gesture to move a little further left so she could turn right. I ignored her, but it taught me to own my lane early on and not be so timid.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. It's not really going to help your test, but from the comments above you can see that people don't know what to do at roundabouts. I suppose one reason for not doing "too many" head checks is that it's taking your attention from looking elsewhere. A roundabout is one place where you need to be really observant soo many places hazards can come from. But... doing a 270deg/right-hand turn in a small roundabout is one thing I found difficult until I really used the "look where you want to go" or as Uncle Greg has drilled into many down at Staurday Elwood cones "Turn your f***ning head".
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks for your replies. What if I'm doing a right turn on the roundabout. Again assuming it's single lane and I'm in right tyre position. In this scenario, am I required (as well as signalling) to do a left shoulder check before exiting the roundabout to ensure no one is sneaking up behind me in the left tyre position? I ask this because I am essentially cutting across the left tyre position from my right tyre position to exit. Or is it assumed that my head checks as I pass each exit arm of the roundabout are adequate enough?
  8. Who has been instructing you? I'm curious where you get this idea you need to head check every time you re-position within your own lane.
    You are only required to do a head check for the purpose of passing the test when you change lanes, move off, or do a U-turn from a standing start.
    When moving within your lane from right to left wheel track and vice versa there is no requirement to perform a head check. When making a right hand turn via a roundabout, you do not have to head check left as you exit, but on a multi-lane roundabout, it is good sense to glance over your left shoulder if you are in the right (inside) lane and about to straighten up for the exit because some morons like to turn right from the left (outside) lane, and that could mean they keep turning into you in their attempt to keep going round past your exit.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. I don't know that there is an answer for this one, it may be it's a matter of opinion.

Doing a right turn at a roundabout your vision sweeps across most exits anyway.

This manoeuvre in a single lane roundabout is one of the things that gives me the most trouble. Trying to keep a good line and feel stable requires me to use the head to turn: Turn the head hard right as I turn in, keep the head hard right and then as I see the exit lane turn the head smoothly to the left - looking where I want to go. Anything else & I feel wobbly and unstable. To check left or right for hazards, just a quick flick of the eyes or use peripheral vision ("a twist of the wrist" has as section on practising using peripheral vision"). Also:

At some point you should be indicating to the left to show you are exiting.
    You should be applying positive drive during a bend.
    You may need to brake in mid turn, which requires delicate balance of rear vs. front brake.

i.e. you are quite busy and maybe head checks is just throwing in another task during a tricky manoeuvre.

I take a one block detour on my commute home to avoid a tricky down hill right turn and instead go through a small roundabout just so I can practise this. Still haven't got enough control to be staying in one wheel track. Go in wide on the left, kiss the right-hand apex at some point and probably mid lane on the exit.
  10. Head check head check head check.
    You can never do to many... Unless you are making yourself dizzy then don't...

I find imho that I now get into the habit of checking and it helps so nothing comes up and surprises you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks Tweet. Is that the same in every state? I'm in WA.
  12. The roundabout rule is an Australian Road Rule, Head checks are not law.
  13. Thanks mate, I'll also obviously talk this over with my instructor. Cheers.
  14. There is a NSW variant about indicating on exiting a roundabout, in VIc and Qld it is optional, NSW it is mandatory. Not sure about WA. Other than that the law on give way is the same as you say.
  15. It's not a legal requirement to do head checks on the road (maybe should be), but as long ago as the late 70s it was definitely an aspect of my driving test that you could lose points (in the test) for not doing correct head checks, or not enough of them.
    OP, just get into the habit of doing head checks on ALL directions - you can't lose points for doing too many, and it might just save your life one day.

Edit. What I'm getting at is that the marking system in the test is not purely limited to legislated road rules.
  16. Oh that's an interesting point Titus, because atm I'm more interested in Regis to the test.
  17. I mean in REGARDS to the test
  18. One of the other guys and myself kept getting told off on our Qride for doing too many head checks. We'd pull up to the "intersection", check left, check right, then check left again as we were going. I guess the point being is that we weren't looking where we were aiming for.
  19. Seriously? They told you to stop doing those head checks?
    I am plain flabbergasted.
    Has anyone else had this kind of feedback from instructors?
  20. Still not as bad as in a car or other vehicle, with the pillar blind spots, moving your head like a chicken.