Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hazard Perception by Motorcyclists...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by boz, May 9, 2006.

1. I am not sure if anyone has seen this MUARC report (I searched the forums, didn't find mention of it):

Hazard perception and responding by motorcyclists – Summary of background, literature review and training methods

It is a relatively short report, and on my initial skimming seems quite fair. It says that riders have more hazards to perceive and worry about than car drivers (and this includes car drivers), and that riding a motorcycle is more complex than driving, which also poses some unique needs for rider training (e.g. we can't simply slam on a brake regardless of the situation - we also must worry about traction, stability, etc.).

There are some aspects which I don't necessarily agree with and they don't provide proof (although this was a summary report). One such item: stating that older new riders (i.e. learners in their 40's+) don't have as many accidents compared to young new riders because they have more experience on roads and therefore better hazard perception. An alternative explanation is the type of riding being undertaken by the two groups - many learner older riders will have alternative means of transport which and so may adopt behaviours (such as taking the car on some days) which minimise their risk. Many young learner riders won't. There is, of course, mention of the fact that some riders may adopt risks because they are unaware of the potential harm which will come to them in an accident (or, if they are aware, assume it won't happen to them). note: it was a skim read, so I may have misinterpreted or extended beyond what they actually said.

It was based on two other reports which I have not read (one is 100 pages, the other 61 pages). See here for an overall description of the hazard perception project etc.
  2. Interesting comment. Insurance statistics and therefore premiums clearly reflect a higher risk in younger riders. However, if you look at accident statistics generally and extract the unlicenced casualties, older riders are over represented among the unlicenced. It seems that licenced (and therefore trained) older riders are definitely safer than younger riders, but it also seems that older riders are more prone to thinking that, 'I couldn't be bothered getting a licence, I've been on the road for years'......resulting in high accident figures.
  3. the comment they made was only about riders who had learner permits (not unlicensed). So they were comparing old vs. new riders with learner permits.

Are the stats publically available for unlicensed riders? I know the TAC have their system online, but I didn't think you could identify groups by licensing status, only age group and sex.