Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hazard lights no longer working

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by monaro57, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi all

Wondering if there might be an obvious solution to this.
    Yesterday I installed a new set of LED indicators with flash resistors on the rear of my 2004 Yamaha R1.

After install everything working fine, wiring correct and all looking good.
    What I have since noticed is there seems to be an issue with the hazard lights. Turn on the hazard lights and they flash and turn off straight away, and that's it. I have to turn the ignition off and back on even for the indicators to work again.

Is there an obvious solution or idea of what might be causing this?

Seems to me there might be a short in the hazard light circuit. Given the indicators flash fine I'm wondering are they on the same circuit. Or could it be too much load on the circuit running all four lights, however I would have thought LEDs draw less.

Any ideas?

The same mod works fine on a 2007 R1.

2. Same thing with my Honda. A LED flasher can did not help.

It looks like they've tried to simplify the wiring and switching for hazards. This means that for hazards, the polarity at the lamp base is different to the normal one side wiring. That allows them to reduce the number of poles the hazard light switch needs.

It's solved by putting in a ballast resistor (one per side).
  3. So you think it could be polarity with the new wiring, even though the indicators work fine. I will have a look over the new wiring.
  4. No, I mean that when you use the normal blinkers it's one way; when you use the hazards, it's the other way. Just an artefact of the way the wiring is hooked up. It of course makes no difference for incandescent bulbs but the D in LED stands for diode.
    • Like Like x 1