Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

haynes manuals

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by aste9974, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bought one for my bike, any good?

2. Is that like asking if your bike is any good after you bought it?
    Probably a question you should ask beforehand :p.

Haynes are usually ok, they do expect a certain half reasonable understanding of how things work in a mechanical sense.
  3. This is probably in the wrong forum and probably should be in the maintenance forum.

I have a Haynes for one bike and Clymer for the other. They are much of a muchness. They cover some things in explicit detail and then gloss over something else where more information or pictures would be helpful.

I would suggest if you have one for your bike then you should be able to work out whether it tells you what you want to know.

Overall I would suggest not bad especially if there is lttle alternative.
  4. Compared to a genuine workshop manual in Chinese?
  5. When it specifically says "remove the 7 bolts holding the final drive gear assembly to the engine", and it still wont come off, you eventually work out that there are 8 bolts.

I've just had a thought, I wonder if they meant to say 7mm bolts?
  6. Mine's quite useful, I also keep the digital version plus official service manual on my ipad. Multiple manuals seem to keep everything covered.
  7. Interesting bro, where did you get the one for iPad? Need one for the Strom.

8. I'm not sure off the top of my head and I've only got my ipod touch with me on holiday. I think I just tracked down a scanned PDF version and run a reader on the pad. I ride an sv so similar engine, I'll see if I can find one when I'm home in a few days.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mehh, used a haines to rebuild the xr.
    read genuine for work......
    chure the genuine is double the price. but in my opinion it seems to be better and gives more info (part numbers, tensions, settings etc...)