Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Having second thoughts...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Bonni, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I've got my private lesson at 10am this morning and I'm feeling really nervous. There are a number of things bothering me at the moment.

I worry about being a danger on the road - this isn't new, I worried about this when I was new to driving a car too.
    I'm thinking that maybe I should go with a scooter instead and upgrade to a bike when I feel more comfortable and confident.
    I've decided that the CBR125R isn't for me, I don't want a bike that's sporty - I just want one thats comfortable be it a bike or a scooter. Yesterday I sat on the VTR250, CBF250 and the CBR125 and then only one that was the right height was the CBR125 and I don't want that one, the alternative if I stick with a bike is possibly a Virago - its low enough but I worry that a cruiser style of bike is too much of a departure from what I've been learning on - the CB250 - a low one.

Any thoughts?
    B :(

2. You can have any bike lowered to suit you so pick the one you like the feel of, regardless of distance to the floor. The 125 would not be too sporty in my opinion either.
    There are many dangers on the road, whether you are one of them or not is up to you, just be sure (and I mean 100%) of every move you make, and you'll be alright. :)

3. WHy such a limited choice in bikes? Most people can't put both feet flat on their bikes, as long as you can comfortably put one foot down, the seat height will be fine. Your legs will strengthen after a couple of months riding, so don't worry about the bike falling over.
    I would buy the bike you feel comfortable with, you will get used to the whole motorbike thing given time, it is avery unnatural thing to do initially.
    Start riding in quiet back streets, at odd hours when no one is around, and your confidence will grow.

Regards, Andrew.

4. If you're comfortable on the CB250 then why not look for one of those! They're a great learner bike as anyone who started out on one will testify! If you want proof do a search in here on the CB250.While they're probably one of the slowest 250's they're a hell of a lot better than a scooter. If you plan to ride a lot in 100k zones a scooter will be just plain dangerous! They're really only good for inner city commuting! The CB is low maintenance, uncomplicated, very forgiving, has a good sized fuel tank and are bomb proof! Also a lot more comfortable than the Across I started out on!

5. There are plenty of 250cc scooters that will sit as comfortably, or more comfortably, at 100kmh as a cb250. Dangerous? I don't think so, you clearly haven't ridden any 250cc scooters.

6. Thanks for the quick replies guys - just to clarify,

I'm not keen on the riding position of sportier bikes and though the CBR125 doesn't have the power of most, it does have a leaning forward riding position and I find that uncomfortable.

The limited choice - its just due to my lack of knowledge.

And the bike would be mostly commuting and not doing more than about 80.

7. +1 to Lady Yamahas comments on the CB 250. not sure about the scooter though as I havent had the pleasure. The CB's are a great learner bike, and as stated Bomb proof with majic fuel economy. Mine gets over 400k's before hitting reserve.

8. Scooter is every bit as dangerous on the roads as a motorbike. We all go through nervous thoguhts about riding at times.

If the CBR125 isnt the right ride position, look at something else.

These days nearly every bike seems to be jacked up extraordinarily high. most of the 600's are taller than most of 1000's in the seat.

It's getting pretty ludicrous because it's actively putting people off riding for a bullshit racetrack pose that has no need in the real world. On Superbikes and Supersport where there is a racing class and they need the ground clearance for slicks that's one thing... but when it's commuters and sports tourers as well it's just crazy.

9. I agree with the scooter and bike being as dangerous - hey 100k is 100k regardless of what you're on.

But my reasoning is about my controlling the bike/scooter, you simply have less to 'do' on a scooter.
    I haven't had much trouble with changing gears or stalling on a bike so that tells me the problem is in my head.

I'll see how I go today and report back - I'm hoping that I'll be more confident and feeling like I can kick *ss in the prac test. Then it won't be an issue.

10. And that is what is wrong with the Victorian Motorbike licensing system. You can do all your training on a scooter which has no gear changes and after 12 months on that go out and buy an R1 or a CBR1000RRRRRRR or a Duc 1098 or a 14 litre bike.

Personally, if you do your license on a scooter then you should only be allowed to ride a scooter. If you do your license on a MC then you shoulod be allowed to ride both. Just like a car. If you learn in Auto, you can only drive an auto.

11. Actually if I was going to upgrade to a bike - I'd be re-tested.
    Safety is the issue here and I want to be safe.

12. Ahem! If you do your L's on a scoot you can ride both but if you do your licence on a scoot that's all you can ride! To ride a bike you have to go back & redo your test on a bike!

13. Bonni, Good luck with the training today. Dont stress about the wet. If you can do it in the wet, you can do it anytime.

14. Do you know where it says this o nthe Vicroads website. My understanding and after talking to a few pweoplw about it, they have all agreed.

Would like to see where Vicroads state this.

15. how about a kawasaki balius 250
    has a very low seat height, relatively similar riding position as the CB250 but has a lot more go. ie you probably won't be bored with it a few months down the track. the thing is it's an inline 4 so needs lots of revs to really get going. I think it's a great bike to inspire confidence. Of course there's nothing wrong with starting on a CB250 either have known quite a few people to stick out the 12 months oor more on one.

16. No no no. Its the same licence no matter what you ride.

17. Bonni - a couple of things....

Scoots are maybe safer (in the eyes of some), but unless they're Big Wheel scoots, a scooters smaller wheels tend to be a bit less stable, and they get swallowed more easily by potholes and the like, upsetting the bike. So don't necessarily believe scoots are always safer.

(Standby for flaming replies from scoot pilots, I guess...)

Comfort is an individual thing - a CB250 or similar sounds fine to me as a good way to ease into things without any extreme leanings towards either the sports or cruiser camps.

I disagree with slow suzi on the sports position. Taken to extremes it can get a bit mad, but a sports crouch gives excellent control, and if the fit of the bike is perfect, it's quite comfy - the wind that you cop in the upper body takes the weight off your wrists. Adelaide to Melbourne? No problem at all.

I sincerely hope that things have gone well for you, Bonni, and if you're nervous, choose a quiet time (very early Sunday mornings is good) and ease into things at your own pace. You'll love it, or I'll give you your money back....

O.B

18. Hi Bonni

I like you was a nervous beginner(still am), but you will get the hang of it. The whole changing gears will become second nature the more you ride.
    I am yet to ride in city traffic but I am lucky that my town is not a busy town, having said that i am still to ride up and down my local main st!

As for the bike situation I am riding a GN250 Suzki, like yours it has an up right position. I will be switching to my Virago soon. I have seen several Virago s with L plates. I guess it all depends on what sort takes your fancy, sports or crusiers?! I like the Virago because I think I will be doing more 'cruisey' types of rides.

I wish you all the best in your riding quest. Stick at it and you will learn to love it. I hope to be going for many more rides. Hope to see you out on the road one day!

Rah

19. I'm learning on a little cruiser and I wouldn't recommend it.

The seating position on a cruiser may seem less confronting, but the overall geometry of the bike makes it harder to handle at low speeds. Cruisers are also a little lacking in the cornering department, again a geometry thing, so that means that the two things that you're most likely to be concerned about as a learner are harder for you than if you were on a sports bike.

Fear is something we all have to confront, riding is a series of new things to learn every time you go out. Don't feel that you have to do it all at once, just pace yourself.

And forget about the cruiser until after you've learnt to ride.

20. Update

Can I first of all just say that you guys ROCK!

Thankyou for all the support - I've been hanging on everyones word.

Now for the update.

I had my private lesson and decided after an hour of using the bike that my confidence wasn't growing - so I decided to switch to a scooter, eventhough the instructor had faith in me to keep going with the bike.
    THEN they asked if I wanted to stick around in the arvo and do my test then and there, rather than waiting till Wed night - when I had booked in.

So I did it and I passed. Now the real learning begins. I'll be getting a scooter first and I'll get used to the road conditions on that. Then I'll be taking my boyfriends CBF250 to practice on (on Sunday morns in a Bunnings carpark somewhere) and when I feel ok about that then I'll be re-tested and up-grade to a bike of my own.

I feel better. I feel more confident - I think my comfortable learning pace is about 10 times slower than the rider training pace. So this will work for me.

Thanks again everyone!
    B