Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

having a shocker with my bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by zoot, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Hi all feel the need to vent my frustrations,

I bought a 94 Blade about 2 and a bit months back, privately. It had only 26 K's on it & rode well & the buyer seemed like a genuine guy . I bought it to commute about 50K's to work a day & use as my only transport for me & partner. Shopping, lifts to uni & work for girlfreind, trips to family in Wollongong etc etc . I needed something reliable & strong.

I spent 1000 getting new tyres & steering head bearings etc , which was fine, prepared for that . But since then it has been a nightmare . It has constant flooding issues as mid temps. It has died on me 3 times in the last 2 weeks, twice of which I have had to pay to get it to the shop , they replaced a fuel pump & carb float valves & I went away happy thinking thats it solved. A week later, same issue as before, and they look at it , get it going and it lasts 1 day , on Sat morn it just dies on me . Paid again for it to get moved .

Now I think the people at the shop are doing OK ( but obviously not really getting to the bottom of it ) , and I really dont know if the guy who sold it to me knew about issues or not, i prefer to think he didnt . It is just really getting me down as public trans to work is a total c@#$ & I am just losing $ .

So I guess when they call me , unless they can say they have solved the issue & are confident in that , I will just bite the bullett, trade it in at the closest dealer for something newer & reliable as I need a working bike ASAP . I will have to borrow $ to get the new bike & will no doubt lose thousands on the Blade.

Its really got me down, you know you feel stupid for buying the thing, shoulda bought something newer in the first place, etc etc . I am no mechanic, I am happy to pay people good $ to do work for me, I just want a reliable bike I can use every day that makes me happy & does its job. Not so happy.
  2. Sorry to hear about the trouble you having mate. I would say trade it in and let someone else try to fix it. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and run.

At least with a new bike you will have peace of mind when you are riding that it wont stop on you.
  3. Fuel supply is good? carbs have been rebuilt? have the screws been messed with? - Also, is there a fuel filter in line? sediment is the best way to clog the float needle and kill fuel pumps. (Think abrasive slurry)
  4. I wouldn't be so quick to trade.

It's the third time for the same fault back to the shop, so I would be proposing that they give me a loan bike for a week or two, and use that time to sort the problem out properly. I would also expect to get it fixed at a reduced cost per hour, given this is their third shot at it. Surely they have some pride in their workmanship? The least they could do is properly diagnose the problem, or estimate what needs to be done to diagnose it, and give you a quote.

Mind you, 26,000 Km on a 13 year old bike. That seems highly unlikely. Perhaps 113,000 Km, or 13,000 since the speedo was replaced. :roll:
  5. Its been looked at by 2 seperate shops, maybe it is some of the things you suggest , but I dont have the time or $ to pay someone to "maybe " work it out. The problem i have now is that I have to pay to get it working before I can trade it in for anything decent . I need something that goes, cant keep paying people to try & find the cause.
  6. Moving sludge/water in the system can cause similar intermittent problems.

Sucks, zoot! I know exactly how you feel; happy to pay to have it fixed, but just want it fixed.
    Downside: intermittent problem that makes the bike unreliable.
    Upside: you may actually need to get in there and learn a bit about fixing a bike yourself which can prove to be invaluable knowledge later on :)

Guess it depends how much free time you have.
  7. I think the K's are real, got all log books etc & , service history. Or maybe I am completely gullible & got taken for a good ride. At the point of not caring, this week it needs to get fixed properly or im off to the bank & the bike shop.
  8. I would disagree. The shop is not doing OK. The thing is still busted. Now people get this attitude of "they are trying / nice guys / etc.." when talking about service centres.
    They are NOT mates, they are pros being paid!

Tell (not ask) the shop that you want it fixed (free). If they don't, tell them you will be going to Consumer Affairs / Fair Trading and asking for a refund of some money.

You have a legal right to have work performed to a reasonable standard, use it.
  9. Of course one always has this right.

We refund the money of anyone taking this line in full without any issues :)

We also make it clear that we are severing this business relationship.

Sometimes there are faults that with all the best of intentions and with all the best equipment and with well trained staff are simply almost impossible to isolate.

If people can't understand that then the business relationship has suffered irreconcilable damage and both parties are best suited by finalizing it *shrug*.
  10. I just want it fixed, I dont wanna have to talk with consumer affairs etc. Whats I am hoping is that today they are going to realise that this is a serious problem & put the effort & diagnosis required into fixing it . I am not angry about this , wanting to complain etc , i am just getting down about it . If I thought taking a tougher line with the shop would geta better result I would do it. Having said that I agree that many service providers in many industries do get away with poor service these days & people just cant be bothered " making a scene" .
  11. I agree with ZXR12. To be so final with a supplier really is a good way to terminate it. For sure, I'd also want the supplier to go some way to helping me too. I don't want to be paying up to 80/90hr for someone to learn my bike and try to fix it. It helps of course to be taking it to a Honda supplier and workshop, as the theory is that they should see enough of this type of bike to be able to have a fair stab at diagnosing the problem.

Good luck with fixing it. Once you do, I think you'll have a cracker of a bike.
  12. I don't think it is unreasonable (per ZX12) to have a bike return a couple of times, and IF the fault is one that could not be found, or a new fault, paying extra is not an issue.
    Where I strongly disagree is with the "caveat emptor" attitute in the rest of the post.
    If you re-read my post I suggested Consumer Affairs if they shop didn't come to the party. That is why the Fair Trading legislation exists.
    I would only advise this course of action if the shop was unreasonable. And the shop wouldn't have to terminate the "relationship" I would do so myself.
    Shops with this attitude also tend to end up mentioned here. Not where they want to be normally.
  13. Holy Cow! This is a bike, and a 94 model to boot. For the $1000 outlay you had planned, this should be more than sufficient to basically strip down the whole unit, re-establish virtually all systems and engine components and capture any problems.

I had a detailed flow chart book for an old cbr600 I had years ago, that spoke to "diagnosing" the bike with virtually any issue. Allowing for testing bypassing and system checks. All in all, you could see where a problem lay within a few hours, but might require some cost to fix. Eg. wiring loom, valves, Ignition timing units etc.

I am sure one also exists for the blade and other enormously popular bikes.

I think what we face here is mostly highly inexperienced staff with high turn-over and companies that deal in a very small market, where margins are quite thin. This is not to blame the businesses here in Aus, but it is a result of our small population and market dynamics. I am suggesting that the body of knowledge within our market is quite poor, compared to larger nations like the UK and USA.

There is a very good business opportunity for individuals, who say have the skills and equipment to service customers bikes, that have expressive intimate knowledge of specific bike models. This means, having spent quite a few hundred hours, pulling them apart and understanding hundreds of issues and causes.
  14. With respect, you know none of this is true. The $1000 was for tyres and head bearings. It was not known at this time to have a fuel supply issue.

We don't know where the bike was taken for the service. We don't know if it was a small backyard operation or a Honda dealership. We don't know their profit margins or their skill level of the operators. In fact, we know nothing of what you state is the reason for the inability to fix this bike.
  15. Not sure where you're located but if in Victoria get RACV Total Care immediately. I got it recently and it paid for itself straight away with 2 free tows, one to home and another from home to the mech. It's also really good peace of mind knowing you can get your bike home free if you get stuck somewhere.
  16. im in sydney & if the NRMA offers the same service I will take them up on it no worries. Anyone know?

And yeah the 1K was for tyres & steering head bearings. I also paid out $550 for fuel pump & valves & $160 for new switch gear, so you know, not reaaaally that keen to keep reaching for the back pocket.
  17. Yes NRMA do provide it.

Whereabouts in Sydney you located? Am sure someone could recommend a good mechanic for you.
  18. Cool, I will look into the nrma deal, so you pay a certain amount a year & they arrange a tow truck to move your bike do they ? Or do they get the proper bike movers to do ? Anyway I will look into it.

I am using people that were recommended by NR's, and as I said, I am sorta OK with what they have done up to now. I dont think changing mechanics is the go, as at least I have spent good $ with these guys so they are not charging me for everything. I am loath to start from scratch with a new bunch.
  19. Call NRMA and ask about moving. If I need 'em, I'm just gonna join on the spot - it's an extra $50 - so far I'm way ahead.

OK the mechanics were recommended that's a good start. But to me, if they are epxerts in their field, they should have fixed it the first time and defintley the second. There are only so many things it can be.

You're probably pretty close to getting the bike all sorted - all the best with it.
  20. If you can find a way to get a shop to take the bike and hold on to it for as long as it takes to prompt the problem (be test riding) and then solve it, that's the best way. As ZX12 said, intermittent problems are a bastard and if you want if fixed without replacing everything methodically in an expensive 'process of elimination' (and I'd be suss of buying both a fuel pump and needles- I mean which one's the problem, guys?), you need to give the the chance to find the problem this way.

The second alternative is to go to every single shop and mechanic and ask if they have dealt with this, and to hope it's a model-specific issue.

I have a bike that runs like crap- it has never started or cold idled properly- but otherwise runs well. I live with it because I know no shop will be able to fix it without going through this sort of 'replace everything a step at a time' approach.