Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Havent the tables turned now

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Rocket3, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I thought I would put this up for people to have a read off, people constantly seeing OMC's in the news papers , but very RARELY do you ever see this and that makes it noteworthy especially when they are talking about crimes and what constututes a criminal orginisation :-s

2. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
  3. link to article?
  4. One a week seems pretty high - and that's just the ones who get caught.

"Law Institute Victoria president Caroline Counsel"

They only elected her because of her name... :)

5. Back in the uk a very amped up copper once attacked me in my own unit because he thought I was a burglar while 2 other cops stud and watch. Made a complain and it went nowhere. Even when I went to the police station to complain it was nearly 5 hours before someone came out to see me.
  6. The most dangerous outlaw gangs have badges and government backing.
  7. I'm not surprised. This is what happens when you get rot from the top down. Lack of ethics and respect for the truth leads to a lack of respect for the public on the street.
    To be fair though, the whole community are also less ethical and respectful.

8. With that name, could Ms Counsel have been anything but a lawyer :D?
  9. You know, this would probably come as a shock to some people.
  10. It's just a media beat up created by the OMC's to throw the public's attention of them and on to someone else.....

Just in case people take that seriously, I'm joking ok.

Good find Rocket.
  11. Remember this guy ?

FORMER police officer Mark Standen yesterday joined the worst of those he has locked up in Long Bay - jailed for at least 16 years for his role in a drug importation plot.

The 54-year-old one-time assistant director of the NSW Crime Commission was a shadow of his former self as Justice Bruce James handed down a sentence of 22 years, noting Standen had shown "no remorse" for his crime.

In August, Standen was found guilty by a Supreme Court jury of conspiring to import 300kg of pseudoephedrine - used in the manufacture of the illicit drugs speed and ice - as well as taking part in the supply of the substance and conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Disgraced cop Mark Standen jailed

Dressed in the prison greens that will now be his uniform until at least 2024, Standen sat impassively in the dock of the Supreme Court as Justice James spent nearly two hours detailing his plot with former food wholesaler Bakhos "Bill" Jalalaty and his one-time informant and drug trafficker James Kinch.
    Recommended Coverage
    One fax undid a top cop
    BUT for a single-page fax sent from a kiosk north of Amsterdam, the life and crimes of Mark Standen would never have been known.

Justice James said Standen was motivated by growing debts to take part in the plot that stood to earn him millions of dollars. At a sentencing hearing for Standen last month, Crown Prosecutor Tim Game SC said "it was hard to conceive a more grave breach of trust", given his senior position at the NSW Crime Commission - an "abuse" that was taken into account by Justice James.

"A matter seriously aggravating the prisoner's criminality was his misuse of knowledge and contacts he had acquired in his career as a law enforcement officer and the abuse of his position with the NSW Crime Commission," the judge said.

"As an assistant director of investigations with the NSW Crime Commission, one of his duties was to investigate drug trafficking, that is, criminal conduct of the very sort in which he engaged.

"(His) motive was clearly financial gain for himself ... not for the purchase of luxury items, but to clear himself of his debts.

"I take these matters into account. However ... they afford little mitigation (because) the amount of money which the prisoner anticipated receiving as his remuneration went far beyond the amount required to pay off his debts."

Standen has been in custody since his high-profile arrest in June 2008. Backdating of his 16 year non-parole period means he will be eligible for release on June 1, 2024.

Justice James said Standen "had a long and successful career as a law enforcement officer (and) he has suffered extra-curial punishment in the loss of his career and in public disgrace and humiliation".

Standen's two brothers attended most of his long trial, and were in court yesterday to hear the final chapter.

Standen acknowledged them before he was led away by sheriffs, completing his spectacular downfall from respected senior drug investigator to convicted criminal.