Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Have you ever been in a motorbike accident?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Justin Stacks, Dec 11, 2012.

1. For those of you that have been in an accident, did you consider giving up motorbike riding, did you get back on the bike ASAP, or did you take some time off to have an extra long think about it and if so, how long did it take for you to decide?

• Like Like x 1
  2. yes accident
    no never contemplated giving up
    yes got back on as soon as possible...(even before fully healed).
    yes..took time off work and spent that time deciding on what my next bike would be...
    then bought one...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I've only had the one serious crash, but I was looking at for sale ads of bikes before I could even walk again. Did certainly take some time to regain confidence on the bike, but I couldn't see any reason not to ride again.

Coincidentally around the same time someone I know had an even worse car crash. They kept calling me crazy for getting back on a bike, but couldn't see any issues (or hypocrisy) in the fact they went and bought another car as soon as the insurance check came through.

End of the day what others do is irrelevant. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you want to ride again, and if so then your only concern should really just be how to minimise the likelihood of being involved in another crash.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. A couple years ago

I went for a lil slide at about 60kph on the esplanade (came round the corner hit gravel lost the back wheel etc..)about a month into riding on my old bike, i actually had to ride the bike home as i had no one to trailer it for me, i spoke to my dad who rode for years and he told me to hop back on it and ride home or you won't get back on the bike again, i had bent handlebars, no mirrors,indicators etc..

so that was a fun scary ride home but i did it, and it was the best advice i ever received.

Don't dwell on it too much just hop back on as soon as possible and keep riding, you'll regret it if you don't !!!
  5. yep, nope!
  6. No, but I did wonder if I would be physically able to ride again.
    Yes, but refer to my next sentence.
    It took seven weeks for my bike to be road-worthy again. Another week passed before I straddled it, for I was out of the country. In total, eight weeks. However, I rode through the accident scene the day I picked up the bike.
    As soon as I realised my injuries weren't a show-stopper — about two weeks.
  7. #7 Brmmm, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Have you considered that those who realised riding was not for them are unlikely to hanging around here? Bound to get biased views.

If crashing makes you wonder whether you are up to it, either you need to get some more training/skills (good insight that you are high risk) or you perhaps you didnt fully appreciate or consider the risks in the first place ( and the crash was a wake up call). I think the latter is more likely if you are riding on a whim/impulse/peer pressure. Best to figure this stuff out before you start riding IMO.

In other words, i had a good long think about the risks of riding before I started riding. Crashing is a risk that I accept and actually crashing would not change that risk much or therefore that decision (much). I think.

Some people seem to think that crashing is a good way to learn. I'm not one of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Have a read of this http://netrider.net.au/threads/not-a-near-miss-but-a-direct-smash-from-behind.140878/ OP was rammed from behind by a driver who should not be on the road, OP took all reasonable precautions.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yes. Ended up in hospital for a few days and permanent scars on my knees... there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

Was off the road for 6 or so months while I saved up money for a new bike.

But not for one second did I think about giving up riding. It's become a passion of mine and it's too much fun :D
  10. Almost everyone will have experienced slow speed drops. I came unstuck at 90kph on a freeway while travelling in a dead straight line. Walked away from it.

It scared the crap out me but I picked up the bike and rode it home. That was around the time that I retired that particular bike, but I was back on my main machine the very next day.

I'll second what Brmmm said - there will such a strong self-selection bias on this forum that the results of your question will be basically meaningless from a statistical point of view. If, on the other hand, you're just interested in hearing about people's experiences, then that's a different story.
  11. yes
    before I stopped sliding
  12. got hit/knocked off bike by a car after 3 weeks of riding... never contemplated quitting, did contemplate getting rid of bike... first scratches on my new baby and i have a thing about that sort of thing.

i had a drop on some tram lines last year in torrential rain and am still getting my confidence back in the rain (and avoid tram lines like the plague)... it's made me second guess myself a lot cause it was so sudden... im doing as many learner rides as i can get out to to try and get my confidence back.
  13. I just asked if quitting was considered. Obviously, the quitters will no longer be here.

I don't question my confidence because the smash was not my fault.

I was just curious to get others reactions because in my situation, I feel like I used my "get out of jail free card" having been able to walk away, and if it were to happen again, I may not be as lucky.

But that's life I guess. There's risks in everything we do.
  14. NO such thing as a get out of jail free card, just supersticious beliefs. Everyone's life experiences are going to be wildly different, so you need to shake that thought out of your head. WAs a nasty and unexpected incident for you to have and that may take some time to digest. OH and so true in that everything in life has an element of risk. .do you want to live and enjoy life or hide away from every risk and be miserable? Good luck sweetie..
    • Like Like x 1
  15. she called you sweetie and she's hot - WIFE HER NOW.

also...had a few slower crashes...sliding along the road into a roundabout nearly being driven over by a landcruiser...sliding along helmet first along gravel (road was being resurfaced) ...and lastly...breaking my ankle from the weight of the bike slamming down onto it in a accident around strathfield...still rode home to penrith (took shoe off when i got home and watch my ankle blow out to the size of a softball)

i've also had accidents on pushbikes that've seen me placed in a drug induced coma ....countless stitches and so forth

throughout all of this the one thing remains true - i love riding....and will not let such trivial setbacks stop me from doing what i love (was riding my bike at 2am on trips to the servo a week after breaking my ankle....was cold copping the air thru the bottom of the cast.)

the only time i'd ever hang it up is if i lost the passion for it....became a vegetable (no offense intended to anyone whom know's people who have found themselves in said state.) or if i had sustained an injury that could seriously harm my quality of life if i was to continue riding- stuffed back...doctor saying you keep riding with your back hunched over like that it will get worse fast or some shit
  16. Your crash will be harder to contend with than others. Almost all accidents, no matter the stupidity of the driver the rider should be thinking, "I could have avoided that". While you could have been looking in the mirror and seen her coming, I doubt even if you had seen her coming you could have done much to avoid it. Everyone here would have ended up on the pavement in your situation.

The mentality of "I wont fall for that again" helps people get back on the bike. You can't really use that.

But what you need to remember is your accident was as unlucky as they come and is rather rare. It probably had nothing to do with the fact you were on a bike, as there were two of you your visual impact would have been the same if not greater than a car. It wasn't being on a bike that caused your accident but simply being on the road (and you can't ever give that up). Had you been in a car and got thumped from behind like you described your injuries could have been worse. That 15m you talked about flying is what saved you, that was your stopping distance.
  17. Some years ago I had an 'off' on Macquarie Pass, I didn't know it till recently but I broke a few ribs, I was off work, and off the bike, for more than 3 months. I actually posted up here that I was quitting, older and wiser heads bet that I wouldn't. I said I was going to sell the bike, but my wife said, "You can't ride it now, wait till you're OK and see what you want to do then". Needless to say by the time I was nearly healed up I was buying the bits to fix it.....
    I THINK a lot has to do with how you analyse the accident; I knew what I had done wrong so I knew I should be able to avoid that next time.
  18. I had taken up motocross and left road riding behind, had a big stack doing a jump and broke my leg, tree branch through my leg, broke arm, broke ribs punctured lung. First thing I did was sell the dirt bike and whist still in hospital went through bike mags and the week I got out of hospital bought a brand new 03 GSXR 600
  19. After my off, I got back on ASAP. Stood next to the bike for aobut 1/2 an hour comtemplating riding. I had spinal fractures but did ride 11 k's a few days after my accident. Once I had gone for the ride, I felt that I would be ok to get back on when ready. I did that about a month later.. Still riding daily, 2 years after the accident with permanent spinal fractures that will never heal.

Beg, borrow or steal, my advice is to get back on NOW even if it's a short ride. Make your decision after you've done this.
  20. Nearly two years ago, when i was on holiday. Managed to ride the bike 35km to a help point. I wasn't in a mobile covered area. Considered hiring another bike to finish the trip, but once the adrenaline wore off, i found i could barely lift my arms. I was without a bike for nearly 3 months. Apparently i was driving the guys a work nuts because i didn't have a bike. It was never a question of if to get back on the bike, but how soon.