Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners? [vic]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by samtastic, Jun 18, 2010.

1. hey guys,
    Victoria-related question:
    looking to get my Ps soon. In doing a little research, I've found out that P plater riders have a speed limit they can travel at.

Do L platers have such a restriction?? I was under the impression they don't. Have a been speeding the whole time I've been on my L's?

I've looked online, but I can't find a concise answer.

cheers
    sam

2. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

Not in Victoria.

Sure you're not mistaking the NSW system for Victoria's?

3. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

Yeah the posted limit

Please tell us of the p plate limit

4. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

yeah not in vic, sounds like you've been lookin at nsw stuff.

5. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

the first kitten is the hardest.
    but after you've killed a few it gets easier to live with.
    still, sometimes, their cute little furry faces come to you in your nightmares.

6. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

L & P Plate drivers/riders can go as quick as the posted speed limit, some other states have speed restrictions but we in Vic don't any longer.

7. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

...Why?

sad_kitten.

8. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

Sam, as the Original Poster/Thread Starter can I ask you to edit you thread title to highlight that you're in [Vic] as per the guidelines found in the Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance forum sticky READ THIS before you post to Politics and the Law.

TYVM

9. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

That's incredible, I thought the 80/90/100 limits were Australia wide for some reason. Lucky bastards >:E

10. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

that's what they WANT us to believe ](*,)

11. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

vic goverment wants you to be nice and close to the speed limit so that you can be caught which you won't be at 80 or 90.

12. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

thanks guys. that clears a lot up. was sure i was looking at Vic sites, but mustn't have been.

good. the speed limits sound crazy.

while we're chatting about this though, in Vic, do you have to do a course to get your Ps (red) and then another to get your red Ps? And then you have to wait between 1 to 3 years (depending on which site I'm reading... probably looking at the wrong state again) before you get your full rider's license?

Can anyone point me to a site that lays it down simply (I can't find the site relating to motorcycles L/P/full-license - can only find it for cars)?

basically, I've got my full driver's license. Have been riding for about nine months (most days a week) and am ready to get my Ps. Just wondering exactly how I go about this. From memory, I do a course similar to my L's course, pass it, then I go to RACV and show them, pay up, and then I get my Ps. But as Im on my full driver's license, I don't have to display the P plate on my bike, right? And a year (not three) after getting my Ps, I get my full rider's license? (and can take pillion passengers?)

^from memory, this is how it works... but now I've confused myself by reading all the wrong websites : S

cheers

13.  Top
  14. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

You're correct. Once you pass your license test, you do NOT have to ride around with the P plate on your motorcycle, as you already have a full car driver's license. You'll simply get an "R" (motorcycle) class added to your existing full driver's license.

HOWEVER, you'll have an "E" condition on your license until 1 year from the date that you pass the motorcycle license exam. And until this date, you still have to stick to the LAMS bike, can't take pillion passengers, and 0 BAC while riding. (Basically same restrictions as you were on your Ls...)

Finally, you do not have to go any other places once you pass your test on the course -- the course provider will forward all the paperwork to VicRoads and the new plastic license will be mailed out to you. (Someone correct me on this last point if this isn't true for a particular training provider...)

15. Re: have i been speeding? is there a speed limit on Learners?

i think now because theres a new licence production system in place that you have to go into vicroads to get another photo taken, then its about a 2 week wait for your new licence.

16. A family member and friend who both recently got photos taken for said licence stuff both received their licence back within 2-3 days when told "about 2 weeks", so it may actually come within a couple days of getting the photo taken as said above.