Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

have I been riding long enough for a "big bike"?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dan_, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I've been riding for 2 months and I've logged about 2500kms of commuting and short (<100km) trips. Already, I feel restrained by the 250cc and would love the extra capacity...

I'm on my (NSW) L's and recently have been allowed the privilege of switching from a NSW to a QLD licence - apparently if I upgrade my NSW L's to P's and then change states this would allow me to move from my NSW P's to a full QLD licence (as banana benders have no bike P's).

So having found an interesting way of going to my full licence after as little as 3 months of L's, the question I want to pose to you is this:

Do you think it's too soon to go the full bit?

(I'm looking at something like the VFR800Fi as opposed to CBR/YZF/NINJA... )

I'm no racer or speed freak but I also understand that I have sooo much to learn. I'd love a comfortable bike for mid distance hauls (~400km) that doest feel like it's going to sh!t itself or rattle off the mirrors when I give it gas...

Please don't say that I'm only as dangerous as my right wrist - I'd be more interested in hearing whether there are other beginner mistakes that are magnified by riding a stable of melbourne cup winners (or maybe harold park trots winners in the case of the VFR) as opposed to the pony club ride I'm on now.

Cheers! :)

2. Anything in particular wrong with a 500-650cc LAMS bike?

I made the jump from a VTR250 to my 1050cc Triumph Tiger after about 45,000km and 15 months. Frankly, I could be happy with half the power the 125rwhp the Tiger puts onto the road. The other half is "nice to have", but almost totally unnecessary.

With three to four times the torque and power, you must be infinitely more precise with the throttle (four times more precise? :p ). It's a lot less forgiving than a 250cc - around town the difference between the Tiger cruising and the tiger idling is about, oh, 1-2mm of throttle rotation.

Clutch is usually a lot heavier when commuting, as is the gearshift. More fuel consumption, more tyre wear.

If you've only covered 2500km, I'd be hesitant to go straight for a 100+hp sportsbike like a VFR800. 2500km isn't much at all.

3. Love the VFR - a fairly manageable bike till the VTEC kicks in - then it's pretty crazy. The test ride I did wasn't that favourable to getting the VTEC into some corners but would like to know what it was like :shock:

You've said you aren't into the outright power of the inline 4's - so maybe look at some other twins :cool:

4. i struggle to think you've mastered (or even come close to) your 250 steed, with 2500km under your belt. what bike are you riding by the way?
    and these <100km trips, where do these take you? get out for a full day, do some 300-500km days, head into the real twisties that take 100km to get to.

i dont believe anyone should upgrade, without having worn through at least one set of tyres, or maybe 4 sets if you're using stickies :LOL:

i've done nearly 40,000km across the 3 VTR250's i've owned, and yes, i think i could upgrade. for a while i though i had reached the limits of the bike. but i was forgetting my limits too. there is so much to learn about riding, other than simply being able to negotiate suburbia, or the local twisties.

expand on your personal abilities on the bike, your body position and riding style, cornering and braking and throttle control. extending these abilities gives you so much more room for error, should a dodgy situation arise.

as Spots suggested, consider a LAMS bike if you feel your shaky rustbucket is gonna fall to pieces on you. but yes i think a large upgrade is too soon yet.

5. 2 months? You should be able to ride THREE big bikes by now. At once.

6. Re: have I been riding long enough for a "big bike&quot

This is the best thing about a 250, Dan. It teaches you how to ride rather than how to hang on. When you can't rely on sheer horsepower, you begin to learn how to ride smoothly and quickly using the instrument you have at your disposal. You learn how and when to corner, clutch control and gear selection, threat perception and management, etc.

If you get on a 600/1000 too soon, you will miss out on those valuable and highly cost effective lessons.

11,000km and 12months after receiving my road licence I am still learning, because every month I am pushing the envelope further. You know you're getting somewhere when you start closing in on 600cc squids through the twisties, rather than being overtaken by them.

However, if you feel your 250 is causing you unhappiness or discontentment, then upgrade. If your motorcycle doesn't put a big smile on your face at least once each trip, then get the Viffer and don't look back!

Alex

7. Re: have I been riding long enough for a "big bike&quot

exactly.

8. Yeah sure, go out and buy yaself the latest 500+ kW/tonne rocketship......... *shakes head* :roll:

Im with Joel on this one mate, take it sleazy, dont try to run b4 you can walk

OZ

9. im all up for more power to make life easy as in running up the freeway with only 30% throttle and not 90%. power can also save your life when you need it but oh so quickly remove it also. imo i dont think 2500kms with no real big trips is enough but then again you may be ready to move up. im looking at a bigger bike for ease, comfort and the ability for it to drag my heavy ass about but most weeks ill get the 250 to do something not thought of before. bigger bikes also cost bigger $ to use.

10. No. 2500km's isn't much.

I'm with some of the others - Nibor, Spots, S_D , etc.

As a rough rule of thumb, my favourite bike shop won't sell a 600 to a new rider until they have done 20 000km's on their 250. Similarly they will only sell a 1000cc to someone that's done 30 000km's on their 600.
    In most cases its an honesty system, but they do have guys that start off with them and stick with them - so they know exactly how much they have done.

Saying all that, if you really want to move up / can't stand the 250, have a look at something like a CB400F:

https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50985

11. Why not? I did, I'm still alive.

In the end it is you that is control of how much of the power goes to the wheel, if you are sensible there is no problem, if you're an idiot then you'll get into trouble on a 250cc bike.

Don't worry about all the Nanna's here, a newer VFR will provide you with much more than just hp. Better suspension, brakes, comfort etc...... All good things for anyone on the road imho.

DO IT!

12. "*cough*" bullshit"*cough*"

So if I walk in and want to buy a 1000cc sports bike, they are going to give me a pop quiz on my ability before deciding whether to take my cash? :roll:

They're either bullshitting you or they won't be in business for too long.....

13. 2 months/2500km :shock:
    Mate, I don't know how well you ride or how well your head is screwed on BUT I'd seriously be thinking twice before making such a jump.
    Do you think you've experienced enough variables and conditions to be able to jump on something that big so soon.
    Are you competent in: traffic, twisties, heat, cold, rain, wind etc.. the list goes on.
    Have you made enough mistakes yet ( cause you usually make a shit load the first 12mths ) .. which is more forgiving on a 250.
    Sure, Power can be a GodSend in many situations, but used incorrectly it will bite you big-time. ( so I'm told ) :wink:
    Your Choice ..

14. +1. That's 1250k a month, which is not a lot for a new learner. I average 2000k a month, mostly through commuting and in all weather, day or night.

As mentioned previously, have a look at a LAMS 500cc range. My KLE 500 is doing a great job of training me in the nuances of riding. It has decent power and I feel very comfortable on it. Once I crack 10,000k (probably today or tomorrow) then it's time to look into getting my P's.

At the end of the day, it's your life and your decision.

15. As I said, in most cases its down to the rider's own honesty. They asked me the same questions and after they where satisfied, they chucked all the bikes I wanted to take for a test ride at me.
    I can't prove if its bullshit or not, just telling you what I have been told.

And yes, I guess if you insist on waving $20K in front of their noses for the latest and greatest, they will sell it to you if you really want.
    In reality its a recommended guideline that they propose for new riders. At least its an attempt to build in some guidelines and some responsibility.

16. I spent a fair bit of time on a couple of 250's. I went from the Across to the CBR600F3. My first trip on the CBR was heading out of the city through busy unfamiliar roads, the CBR looked after me real well - I just kept the revs low. As time progressed I learned to rev out the bike more to get more out of it.

So there's a few things to keep in mind, the power will most likely be more manageable in the lower revs. The brakes are probably going to be about 3 times better than most 250's - then there's CBS to learn. Oh and the VFR will most likely be heavier than your current ride too.

It can be done, but there'll be a fair learning curve.

Mightn't hurt to ask your insurer what they think too.

17. makes sence but impossible to police and someone who isnt strong of character will just leave the shop. that said though there are many people out there who do ride well with less kms than others. while i dont think 2500 is enough it may just be for the OP.
    but... who gives the people at the shop the right to say when you can have a new bike.. i wouldnt shop there

18. I think that if you feel the need to ask other people if you're ready, they're you're not ready. Only you can make this decision mate.