Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Have Honda - Will Travel!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by 8Track, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Hi There,

Just introducing myself as a new member of the forum (long time lurker).

I live in Adelaide, had my L's for 6 months, and ride a museum quality 1981 Honda CX500. I bought this bike from a delighful old fella who literally wrapped it in cotton wool. It lived in his loungeroom for over 25 years!

Anyway, the bike is back on the road and being ridden a couple times a week.

I am a pleasure rider (not commuting) and have done about 6,000 kms in the 6 months I've had my L's. I am going in for the advanced course soon. This forum has been very helpful with its riding tips, and I have quickly developed a high degree of comfidence in my riding skills.

Thanks everyone,

2. Hey Mark, welcome to NR :)

Glad you were able to sus out useful stuff, from
    amongst some of the nut-house 'occupants' here :LOL:
  3. Welcome Aboard Mark !
  4. Hello Mark & Welcome! A fellow CX'er & from Adelaide no less. I am sorry...

Just kidding, post up some pics of your museum specimen, would love to see it. Same vintage as mine, bet your is in better nic though.

Cheers! :grin:
  5. Welcome fellow Adelaidian! Hehe.

Congrats on the license, welcome to the world of two wheels!
    Tis great fun. Have you explored many of the roads yet?

I just rode over to Phillip Island for the first time, im still stoked!!!

Might catch ya out there sometime!!!
  6. ahh the CX500
    i rented one in december 1988 in cairns for a week
    no licence...no shirt...lol
    that bike looked after me
  7. Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I think the CX500 makes a perfect learners bike. Nice smooth power delivery, reasonable brakes, decent ergonomics for the taller person (I'm 6'3" in my motorcycle boots), easy to service yourself, and not too expensive!

I've ridden plently of places on the bike....Down to Victor, up to Nuriootpa, all through the hills, McLaren Vale, the beaches etc. I am totally addicted - I can't keep away from bike shops - drooling over the Suzuki M109's :grin:

I have tried to post photos but I am not allowed by the software until I have 5 posts. So I'll get the count up now and then put them up.

8. OK Post 6 - Photos should work now:

9. Beautiful bike there mate! Looks like it's in fantastic condition. Have you kept it in the manner she's used to (And let her live in your lounge room) :LOL:
  10. Hi Dan,

Thanks for the compliment on my bike. The condition of the bike is as new. No dents, no rust, no scrapes, no dirt, no dust, no tarnish, nothing at all that would make you think its ever been on the road!

I keep it locked up in my garage under a bike cover. Only gets ridden on dry days and never ever washed with a hose/water. I just use that waterless carwash stuff and keep it polished with meguiars car polish.

11. Well it's certainly working :)

Without putting them side by side, they look alot like the CB's as well. (I'm getting my CB in a few weeks)
  12. Hi Mark

Welcome to NR.

Beautiful bike you have there. I always had a spot in my heart for CX's. Think I must be addicted to bikes with sticky-outy bits.