Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Has the "Speed Kills" campaign failed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Sir Ride Alot, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Below is an article that was posted on the MRAVic site.

Is it safe to say that the “Speed Kills” campaign has failed?

Vicroads, the TAC, Victoria Police, Monash Uni and the ALP State Government have pushed this message for years yet the road toll is up.

If “Speed Kills” and many speed limits were reduced then why has the road toll gone up?

This campaign has cost the community an enormous amount of money including fines.

Who will be held to account for this?

Surge in motorcycle deaths hits move to slash toll
    REID SEXTON April 23, 2010 The Age

RISING motorcycle deaths will be a big barrier to reaching ambitious road toll targets, according to Victoria's top traffic officer, as rider fatalities soar to record levels this year.

The latest figures reveal that a quarter of the 99 deaths on Victorian roads this year have been motorcyclists, the equal highest since 1990 and the highest proportion of overall deaths in at least 20 years.

The statistics have shocked police and hospitals, with The Alfred urging riders and car drivers to be more aware on the roads.

Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay said the soaring toll was one of the biggest threats to achieving the state government target of 237 deaths a year by 2017.

Mr Lay said road congestion, fuel prices and environmental concerns meant the number of registered motorcycles in Victoria had reached record levels, while the run of warm days this year meant motorcyclists had flocked to the roads.

Another factor, he said, was that older people with disposable income but without the right skills were increasingly buying motorcycles. He warned that the motorcycle boom would only gather pace in coming years.

''We know there are more motorcyclists on the road, so we're going to see them in more crashes,'' he said. ''We also know that by making a very small mistake a motorcyclist can be killed because they have no protection.

''If we can't get on top of the motorcycle stuff, this may well be what threatens our 2017 target.''

Mr Lay said motorcycle deaths - which stand at 24 this year compared with 13 this time last year - had soared recently, partly because many roads that motorcyclists liked to use, such as in the Yarra Ranges, were shut because of the bushfires.

VicRoads figures show the number of motorcycles and scooters registered has grown 60,000 in the past seven years to 165,100. That number has grown 10,000 in the past nine months alone.

The warning comes as Victoria launches Operation Yellow Flag/Black Flag, a campaign targeting motorcycle safety in the Yarra Ranges this weekend.

Motorcycle Riders Association president Kerry Walton said more awareness campaigns were needed and that all riders needed advanced training.

Speaking at The Alfred hospital yesterday, Dr Fred Mori said motorcyclist injuries were rising and would become worse in the future. He said riders risked horrific injuries if they or car drivers did not take care.

''My own message is for everyone to remember that we have to be responsible for each other,'' he said.

Colin Roles knows about the importance of taking care on a motorcycle but also realises that even the most well-prepared rider can risk serious injury.

In January, while driving through Henrietta in rural Tasmania, he hit a damp spot on the road at 100 km/h and was hit by an oncoming car.

Despite wearing full protective gear, he sustained a crushed spinal cord, broken leg and a fractured hip and elbow, and may never walk again.

Mr Roles, 51, said that if this could happen to an experienced rider like him, imagine what could happen to those who were not prepared or concentrating. ''Sometimes a lot of the idiots come unstuck,'' he said. ''But sometimes the good guys come unstuck too.''

2. yes. putting down speed limits wouldn't help one iota.

the message should just be to drive safely and be aware of things going on around you, bike, car, truck etc. all the same.
  3. I thought that was a good article and to the point.....

You have to consider that a few years back, vic toll nearly got to 1000 so together with the increase number of drivers every year, overall it seems to be going in the right direction.
    But increase moto toll is a concern so ride carefully everyone as I'd like to keep on riding with fellow riders.
  4. "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    As with the seemingly mathematically impossible situation where he rate of employment and the unemployment rate both increase simultaneously the increase in motorcycle deaths may not be a speed related issue, the answer is participation rate. In short there's more people on motorcycles thus more people to fall off them.
  5. ^ agreed. and more people who buy a bike just to commute, not any passion for it, thus don't take the time to learn - cause all they need to know is brake, accelerate and in actual bikes (not scooters) clutch. they don't actually have to be good at it!

just look at the crazy pizza hut / domino's scooter ridings. f***ing crazy.
  6. How many of those deaths were "unriders: ie unlicensed riders?
  7. There is justification in that:

In VIC, they hand out licenses as long as you can ride a cb250 at 25kph in a parking lot without going higher than 2nd gear.
    When I got mine, while practicing the emergency stop, was told that if i did it on the test from 30kph I would need to do it again as it's too fast.....WTF
  8. i know. it should be a week long intense course with people who REALLY want to ride.
  9. Well how about they pull out the stats from the year before?! I think the guy summed it up right there. There are a shitload of fair weather riders out there and if u have a bad year where the weather sucks or the roads are closed like last year then less of those guys will come out (think of the snow season, its the same shit). The fair weather riders are a variable which can grosely change the stats.
  10. 2004 (01/01 - 24/04) - 13 fatalities
    2005 (01/01 - 24/04) - 13
    2006 (01/01 - 24/04) - 18
    2007 (01/01 - 24/04) - 12
    2008 (01/01 - 24/04) - 19
    2009 (01/01 - 24/04) - 13
    2010 (01/01 - 24/04) - 24
  11. Putting it in that way... Seems like an outlier. It is still 1.6 times the previous 5 year average, which presents the question:

12. its all the boat people coming here lol
  13. it's actually just OK. based on the first 6 observations a 95% prediction interval for the next is from 9 to 24 so it just sneaks in.
    calculations are dependent on assumptions but they are defendable.
  14. Perhaps two classes of bike licence are required, a scooter one & one for proper bikes.

Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to be able to get your licence on a step through automatic scooter but once off your P's can then immediately buy and ride a 1000cc sports bike without any form of additional training??
  15. Please, no more legislation.

I really doubt the kind of person who wants a litre bike will start out with a scooter anyhow.
  16. Personally I'd be happy to see additional training as a requirement in order to come off your restrictions once the time has elapsed. If you're happy on your scooter or your LAMS bike, carry on! If you want to jump up to the litre bikes, go do your Advanced 1 with Stay Upright or whoever.

My $0.02
  17. I think, you should have a system of training where you're tested at a level of higher competency (control in real traffic situations) for you L's and proof of riding hours (as per cars) for your P's. This riding around a car park at 25k stuff is really a joke.

Maybe a system where every rider havins to complete some form of riding log every year may help address the accident numbers of those who stop riding for years then return to riding.

After all, riding is one of those skills where rust easily appears when you don't ride for a while.
  18. IMHO, Speed doesnt kill.

Its certainly a major factor and contributes to a fair few crashes for a number of reasons.

At a higher speed, your bike travels a lot further over time however our reaction speeds are a constant. When we react to a given situation, a faster bike will also take longer to slow down.

This is why we have speed limits on the road. You just cant anticipate whats around the next corner. However, on the track, theres a 100% chance that there will be no small children playing in the middle on the track.

The speed kills campain works. It just doesnt work for idiots
  19. plenty of parents forge the car log books for learner drivers. That is not the solution.
  20. I see the article as an excuse for the failed "Speed Kills" campaign. It's like they are trying to shift the discussion away from speed. I have read the article a number of times and cannot find the word speed. Is it just me?

Speed limits were reduced, speed camera numbers increased and record fines have been handed out yet the toll is up. This is a clear failure and the people pushing that line must be brought to account.

There are far more issues on the road than speed alone as mentioned in this forum many times. Have people been misled by the bureaucrats? Does the evidence suggest this?

Is this what happens when the bureaucrats are given the power to change law?

Lower speed limits in rural/country areas used to give a clear message that you are now approaching a built up area and you would definitely slow down. Now with the new low limits on many of the roads including long straight country roads with no side roads the message is lost. Individual skill building and judgement is being diminished. You can’t put up a sign for every single situation that a road user will face. There are too many variables.

The rural and country roads in my opinion are now the most dangerous driving/riding environment that we have ever seen.