Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Has science finally answered the question: Why are x-hand corners more difficult than y-hand corners

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by AzzA68, Sep 30, 2012.

1. The 1012 Ig Nobel Prizes were recently announced, and there may be something in it for us riders.

The new kid on the block is "Posture-Modulated Estimation"

:-s"Huh?" I hear you say...

PSYCHOLOGY PRIZE: Anita Eerland and Rolf Zwaan [THE NETHERLANDS] and Tulio Guadalupe [PERU, RUSSIA, and THE NETHERLANDS] for their study "Leaning to the Left Makes the Eiffel Tower Seem Smaller"

Still reading, read on...

In two experiments, we investigated whether body posture influences people’s estimation of quantities. According to the mental-number-line theory, people mentally represent numbers along a line with smaller numbers on the left and larger numbers on the right. We hypothesized that surreptitiously making people lean to the right or to the left would affect their quantitative estimates. Participants answered estimation questions while standing on a Wii Balance Board. Posture was manipulated within subjects so that participants answered some questions while they leaned slightly to the left, some questions while they leaned slightly to the right, and some questions while they stood upright. Crucially, participants were not aware of this manipulation. Estimates were significantly smaller when participants leaned to the left than when they leaned to the right.
    So next time you're wondering why right-handers are fvcking with your head, it's because you're a victim of Posture-Modulated Estimation. 8-[

If you're tired of reading and would like to have Doctor Karl make you smarter, click here... perhaps we can answer his question at the end of the video.
  2. and if your in a cage..... bikes appear smaller
  3. I heard about this & thought it would be a good negotiating tactic when buying a vehicle, but I couldn't work out if I should lean to the left or right!
  4. I'm in doubt... and I've learned that if in doubt 68 is the best answer.
  5. I always thought it was 42. When did this change? Why wasn't I notified?
  6. That might explain Wayne Swan's cavalcade of of budget deficit blowouts...
  7. Are there any noticable differences between riders who ride on the left hand side and those who ride on the right hand side ?
  8. I always thought "one" was the best answer, closely followed by "zero"
  9. WELL my chicken strip is non existant on the RHS and about 3mm on the LHS so that bows me out of it :-s

42 IS still the ultimate answer , unless of course its multiple choice then "C" if in doubt :rofl:

But maybe our minds are just too highly trained Magicthighs (some will get it)

10. For sure. Aussie riders who ride on the right hand side, have a significantly higher chance of crashing....
  11. perhaps the road camber accounts for the discrepancy between your LHS and RHS...

42 is most definitely the answer.
  12. I always wondered if it has some relationship to the way you stand on a surf/skate board. I for one ride goofey (right foot forward, as opposed to "natural" which is left foot forward). I always preferred turning backside (left) than front side (....do I really need to say it....)

I'm not saying that riding a board makes you that way, rather that the reason you ride the way you do also affects other things (like left/right handers).
  13. is that why you always put your right glove on first?
  14. Surely this is only true amongst people who are taught to read from left to right.

I'm surprised this got through peer-review without at least one person suggesting they should have checked a few people with Arabic or something similar as a first language to see if the results were reversed. I guess psych. journals must just have lower standards when it comes to scientific method. :-s
  15. what, that horizontal writing system that puts the large letters on the left (capitals) and small letters on the right? :wink:

As compared to other horizontal or vertical writing systems.

How about binocular disparity (depth perception) ... perhaps it depends on how 'one-eyed' we can be.
  16. Only if you consider a capital letter to somehow have a greater magnitude than a lower case letter. I would think that the number series (ironically based on Arabic numerals) being written from left to right, and taught by counting from the lower value to the higher value, would have a greater influence.

After all, I don't recall being taught the alphabet by reciting "Upper case A, lower case a, upper case B, etc". ;)
  17. Yep, capitals are bigger apparently. :)

But in positional systems the larger something appears doesn't necessarily equate to it being higher in value, eg. astronomy.

How large something looms, and the value it's attributed, depends on orientation from and proximity to the zero point.

Right handers vs left handers are bound to vary according to lane/road position, along with our own dexterityand natural inclination/bias.

Cultural conditioning – such as driving on l/r side of road (or reciting stuff) – imposes a habitual conditioning, conformity (doesn't eradicate natural inclinations) ... and balancing on a board leaning left or right taps back into those instincts (comfort zone).

Wax on, wax off. Such studies are bound to have some inherent and cultural biases.

They'd have probably gained some interesting insights by putting equal numbers of left handed, right handed and ambidextrous participants through the test.

Afterall, isn't psychology intended to be about exploring matters such as perceptions in depth.
  18. What about "f", in cursive handwriting the lower case is actually larger than the capital - and there's no difference in height between the upper and lowercase versions of h, k, l, p, and q (and possibly also t depending on whether you use an American or English standard).

Of course things are different with typed text, but I was taught to write in the era of blue pencils and three-lined paper. Of course given how much electronic communication is bereft of proper use of capitals, or any attempt at punctuation, I'm not sure how much "cultural conditioning" effect the size of capital letters will have had on most of Gen Y.
  19. actually, the ascii value of 'A' is 65, where as 'a' is 97.

As you count your way up the ascii table, 'A' does indeed come before 'a'.
  20. You curs'ing me? :-s
    If you'd started writing several thousand years ago, it'd probably have been all in capitals.

I don't know either ... prob familiar with size of caps lock button though (txting). Perhaps it'll influence the size of thumbs. :wink: