Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Has anyone..

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by blackhornet, May 15, 2014.

1. Put a cbr250rr 4into1 header pipe onto a 250 hornet if not would anyone be able to recommend if they would fit?

I am currently surfing the web to find out if this can be done as I want to run an exhaust systhe hrs foot peg rather then up under the seat.

I have been quoted $450 for an aftermarket muffler and custom made pipe connecting to the headers but if the headers off a cbr will fit the hornet will be a much cheaper option.

Any help would be awesome guys cheers

2. I wouldn't bother. Probably too much work to do to get it right. Put the cash into fuel and training instead. (Y)

3. While helpful (and somewhat irrelevant) as your opinion on what I should be spending my money on is, my question still remains unanswered. The modification is half the fun, the passion to do it makes up the rest. I would assume that's why this section titled "Modifications & Projects" exists. For those of us who want that little more than fuel and training.

4. Step 1: Create a thread in the Welcome area, introducing yourself and saying which general area you live in (no need to give away too much of your anonymity). This explains why @Mcsenna@Mcsenna asked if you were @hornet@hornet's Kenyan cousin after you made your first post about needing a replacement rear brake lever: it was a gentle "who are you?" (y)

Step 2: Look at some photos and specs online to see if your intended modification is possible or not. The two bikes have the same engine, so the header is likely to fit onto the engine (unless there are multiple cylinder head options). However, they don't have the same frame, clearance to the front wheel (which needs to be considered at all suspension positions, also allowing space for fork flex under hard braking) and they absolutely don't have the same swing arm:

CB250 Hornet.
    CBR250RR.

The swing arm for the CB250 will probably be wider than the swing arm for the CBR250RR because it has a wider rear wheel - see the specs located at:
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb250_hornet 96.htm
    and
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cbr250rr 90.htm

The swing arm pivot bolt position looks to be very similar for both bikes (look at it with respect to the centre of the timing access cover, both horizontally and vertically, and scale it according to the size of the wheels of the bikes in the photos - both have 17" wheels - don't look at tyre diameter, as this will deceive you).

Clearances on motorcycles are usually quite tight (for this, you'll need to consider the full range of motion of the swing arm), so the straight line (to the pivot bolt position) of the CB's swing arm is very likely to put it straight through the CBR's exhaust (the CBR's swing arm is made to go "up and over" to the pivot bolt, giving more clearance for the exhaust).

Step 3: Not many self-confessed "power ranger['s] on two wheels" would ride a LAMS bike if they were off restrictions. Considering the high probability that you're on restrictions, there's a high probability that your skills are still developing. The fact that your previous posts were in an attempt to find replacement parts for the RHS of your bike seems to suggest that you're repairing it from a crash (rear brake lever, scratched up RHS engine cover - which might be compatible with a CBR's, but you'll need to check thicknesses in relevant places and pick-up locations for crank angle sensors if necessary for the spark module - and note that the VTR250 has a V-twin engine, not an in-line 4-cylinder engine like the one in your bike, so the RHS engine cover won't fit - which can be confirmed by looking at the picture of it in BikeBandit's listing: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1990-honda-interceptor-250-vtr250/o/m2921#sch11302 ). There is, of course, the possibility that the damage was done by someone else, but the pragmatic approach is to assume that the rider probably did it himself, and needs some rider training to increase his skills, so he's less likely to crash again. It also makes riding much more enjoyable when you have better skills. While you're riding, you won't even see your exhaust, so whether it's high-mount or low-mount is largely irrelevant...

So... I think I've probably knocked that modification on the head for you. Also, bear in mind that any modified adaptor to fit a low-mounted can to your current header will need to be made so it doesn't foul onto anything (especially the swing arm), and you'll need to keep it well away from the ground, taking into account maximum lean AND compressing the suspension (which happens naturally while cornering), and you need to leave a bit of room for sharp bumps on the road.

I realise it's frustrating and annoying when you ask a question about modifications and the seemingly irrelevant answer "invest in some rider training" is given to you. I've been in your situation (even fixing the RHS of a bike due to accident damage), and I've been given the same answer by others who were astute enough to pick up that I was an unskilled rider, even though I was on a non-learner bike. Yes it's frustrating hearing "don't do that, get rider training", but once you get the training and practice what you learn on the road for real, you'll be glad that you've spent the money on your skills (which you take from bike to bike), instead of spending it on modifications to a bike that you won't be keeping indefinitely. You might even become one of these nutcases who answers inexperienced riders' modification questions with "get rider training", just as I have! :wacky:

Good luck with the rider training! (y) ;)

• Like Like x 1