Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Has anyone used the Colourtune or Carb tune product?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by murphyjr, Dec 11, 2005.

1. I wanted a way to tune and balance my own carbies
    This webpage www.carbtune.com has two tools the Colourtune and the Carbtune that make it easy for anybody to tune and balance their own carbies on motorbikes.
    The Colortune has a clear spark plug that lets you look into the combustion chamber while the engine is firing. The colour of the combustion flame tells you if the mixture is correct. With the carburettor mixture screw you can then adjust the flame colour to get the correct mixture.
    The Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizer will accurately sync the throttles on motorbikes.
    On the web page the it all seems straight forward enough
    Has anyone else tried this equipment or is there a mechanic out there who can give a professional opinion.

2. I've got a Carbtune. It's a good bit of kit. Works well, and has done so for, ummm, close to two years, now.

The Colourtune... lots of luck using one on a 4-valves-per-cylinder multi... :)

3. I have used the Motion Pro tool which does a very similar job to the Carbtune. The actual process is quite simple, effective and reasonably quick. I had a an erratic and annoying idling problem on the FJR and the local workshop suggested a change of spark plugs (@ $150 fitted!) to solve the problem. I knew the problem wasn't the spark plugs so I bought the tool and changed the spark plugs (for under $15) while I was at it and the bike has been running fanatastic ever since. Be aware that since the tools (Carbtune and Motion Pro) use mercury, there can be a problem shipping the product from overseas (some suppliers - mostly American -will refuse to ship the item internationally - full stop). I bought the Motion Pro locally and it wasn't much more expensive than buying it from overseas.

4. Carbtune uses polished metal rods, not mercury columns.

5. Carbtune 2 does, not the original.

I've always used a Carbtune 2, and was great for everything but the little 4pot 250's - they don't generate much of a vacuum oscillation to keep the rods moving a little.

6. I owned one of these when I lived in the UK. When I came to OZ I got rid of nearly all my tools (big mistake). One of the things I gave away was a Morgan carb tune II. I have since bought a new one from the UK and have to say that the build quality has reduce over the past few years. The unit I own now looks the same but isn't as good as the first one I bought. If you hook all the lines up to one manifold you do get a veriance between all the bars. It not much of a differance but it no where nearly as good as the original one I bought many years ago.

7. The posters original question concerned Colourtune and the Carbtune. These are fundamentally different things.

ColourTune is solely used for setting mixture as described. It cannot be used to measure induction pressure, and therefore has no application in balancing carbies. I have used Colortune since the 1960's and absolutely swear by it. It is the next best thing to a Krypton Computer costing megabucks. Since the introduction of unleaded fuels the 'plug-chop' type of simple test for mixture, has become less precise at the lean end of the scale, as much of the white deposits on the plug were due to the lead. The ColorTune is simple to use and absolutely infallible as you actually see the combustion flame. It comes with an extention tube including a 45deg mirror for deeply recessed plugs. As stated, it has absolutely no role to play in carby balancing.

8. and perhaps you should read the original post and the replys again inci

the two tools both deal with carburation - one with mixture, the other with vacuum.

Wether or not the burning gas colour is of any use in the current crop of multivalve engines (you will be talking about older non-injected bikes of course) was brought up by IK, but vacuum balance of throttle butterflies is still an integral part of carb tuning. It is also about the only thing joe average can play with on many carbs, as the mixture screws on all the early 90's onward 600's i've owned come with bonded caps over them.

9. Sorry, I seem to have missed your point. We seem to be saying exactly the same thing.

10. sorry, i got the impression from you that you thought the original poster was going to attempt to balance them using the colourtune, whereas he mentioned both tools in the post.

11. I just use vacuum gauges for balance $90 from MCAS Basically the same as the carbtune.

I looked at the colourtune once, but then I read somewhere that CV carbs aren't meant to have a constant mixture right across the range.

This means the colourtune would only be right at one spot and wrong eveywhere else

I never got around to checking this, as this is not what I believed, but it put me off enough to not bother.

12. each to their own, but i find the columns much easier to compare than trying to read the dancing values on a pile of circular gauges.

the colourtune was mentioned as only being for adjusting the idle mixture, not the main jets - and you'd need a load dyno to do it properly for all jet mixtures anyway.

13. That is a good point, and one not always understood by users. The colortune can be used for checking main jet mixtures, but obviously not for adjusting them. Even on an EFI engine, the colortune can be used to monitor mixture e.g. in the case on replacing an exhaust system and checking if the characteristics are within the capacity of the EFI to compensate, or experimenting with plug heat ranges. To a small degree it can also be used to check parameters outside the control of the EFI like badly adjusted valve clearances, as this will have an effect on mixture.

14. I made my own 4 tube manometer for $35 from parts I bought at the hadrware store and haven't looked back.
    You only really want to measure vacuum relative to the other carbs, doesn't really need to be graduated terribly accurately, although mine uses a metal ruler as the backing. I have to admit I pinched the idea off the net and modified it to suit a 4 cylinder engine.

Regards, Andrew.

15. i have a carbtune and it works really well. very durable and accurate. much easier to use then tubes filled with oil. :p

you are quite welcome to use it any time, i'm down in north dandy.

i have a zx9r but i wouldnt recommend the colourtune, since there's no way you can see the spark plugs with the engine running. :)

16. i did that once, and the old fizzer6 inhaled great quantities of water unexpectedly - great clouds of steam from the exhaust, but never affected it adversely

17. I think the trick with that is to put a plastic bottle teed into the suction line. This acts as a dampener.

18. was fairly cheap in the end to just get a commercial unit and not have to worry about mercury or water ingestion. It is generally ok but with the water etc had to be careful not to return the throttle too quickly after snapping it open a little to seat the adjusters.

19.  Top