Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HART practice sessions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Tigress, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi,

Last week I got my Learners at Stand Upright in Hoppers. I've booked in for a practice session at HART(Somerton) I would like to take a few sessions. Has anyone else done this?

Struggling with gears and shifting and coordination of everything. Everyone says it's easy but I feel like it's something I should know how to do right away but I don't.

Any other advice or practicing the skills that I've learnt until I buy my own bike?
  2. That's exactly what you will practise at the session. They'll put out cones for you do ride around and do a few exercises with you. Just tell them what you would like to practise.
  3. Hey Tash, even though I'm one of the inexperienced I have to jump in here. You'll find heaps of people say it's 'easy', when in point of fact if you've never ridden a motorbike before, it's going to be hard. It's hard to concentrate on changing gears, braking, looking around you and that's not even on the road! If you're struggling with changing gears then all of your concentration will be on that to the exclusion of everything else. I learnt off the road, away from traffic and this was invaluable for me. I'm now starting to ride on the road but I've consolidated my changing gears so that I can do it without thinking. My braking is a little on the shaky side but, like you, I'm looking to do some defensive rider training to give me a hand with that. I guess my (personal) best advice to you is to go at your own pace, don't worry about what everyone else says and practice heaps. My 25 years of driving meant squat when it came to riding on the road. All the best.
  4. Aly I think Tash isnt quite up to riding in yet, asm I correct here Tash?
  5. I was talking about the HART practise sessions that she asked about. I have done one.
  6. Learn at your own pace and get the basics of control down pat first. Doing a few instructed sessions is a great idea. You got to the L's stage and if you build up your confidence at your own pace you'll be fine.
    I think sometimes you can listen to too many different people at once and just end up confused. If you follow the HART route then just pay attention to them for now. It isn't a race to get "there" (wherever there actually is).
  7. done a few hart sessions. first was when I switched from a scooter to a bike and wanted to get used to the gears. my wife has done a few for the same reason. did another one last year as I'm crap at slow riding. how good they are depends on who else is there. last time someone was being re-tested so I didn't get much attention. but it was OK as I knew what to do and I mainly wanted to do it on someone else's bike. I think they are good value.
  8. I've completed HART Advanced I and can definitely say that the quality of teaching is solid.
  9. Thanks everyone!

I booked in for my practice next test week and I will take as many I can until I have enough knowledge to be able to buy my own bike and keep practising in my area, just around the block here and there.

Before my learners test I had only been a pillion and going on a group ride was so much fun(it's what made me decide to get my licence)

One of the other students in my course drives a manual and she even had a hard time grasping the gears/clutch/break coordinations.

I had good balance, leaning and not looking down to indicate etc but while I was riding the instructor told me to go into 2nd gear then my brain went in overdrive......break, break clutch, gear up. Have to learn to do that without thinking about it....I know it's just a matter or going at your own pace, all in good time :)

Netrider is fantastic(just for the record)!!
  10. hang on....you are breaking when moving from 1st to 2nd? I think you must have misunderstood the instructor there...
  11. When I shift from 1st to 2nd he told me to

release the throttle
    pull in the clutch and then
    shift gear up

to downshift he told us to

break front then break rear
    then pull in clutch and shift gear down
  12. ah okay. I thought you meant you were braking when shifting up gears.
  13. No sorry that was my mistake LOL

I'll get there :)
  14. Just watch the rear brake when shifting down into the lower gears, don't hit it too hard whilst releasing the clutch. The rear wheel can get slippery while slowing down as all the weight goes to the front
  15. One of the most valuable things I learnt with HART was to preload the shifter. That way when u pull the clutch lever in, it'll click into gear quickly and smoothly. Then release the clutch smoothly :D

Oh also remember muscle memory - it'll take a couple of hundred shifts before it starts getting easier.
  16. brain overload! hahhaha

I must admit I did better than I thought I would for a 2 day course and never having ridden a bike before. The instructor was really positive and told me I was improving :) He said I have good posture, I don't look down, I have good focus but the gears and shifting is what I need to work on. I'm proud of what I have achieved so far and even if it takes me many sessions I will persist!

I will be more comfortable once I complete a few more sessions. I'm enjoying the learning experience.
  17. How tall are you?
  18. 175 cm or 5"9
  19. I did my learners last weekend, have driven a manual car for 15 years and only managed 2 good gear changes 2 days!

It is difficult with someone watching you, isn't it? There's no substitute for hours of experience on the road, going at your own pace. Do it enough times and the muscle memory will take over.

You will develop a good sense of gear changes in a manual vehicle (bike or car) by listening to the engine and feeling the speed, even if you're not the one in control.
  20. You wont drop them like I do then :)