Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"HART" or "Stay Upright"? (for intermediate training)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VladTepes, Jul 9, 2012.

  1. I've been back on the bike (after an extended abscence) for about 10 months now, confidence is good, capability much improved.

    Areas I would like to improve on are: slow speed manouevers and high speed cornering.

    (the latter is I think fear of a lack of grip - that is, there's probably much more there that I am afraid to explore...)

    Anyway looking around there seem to be two real options in rider training - given what I'm looking for which of the following courses do you think would offer me the best value (not financially really, but content wise)

    Who has done courses with these organisations and what comments can you offer please?



    this one probably


    $205 4 hours



    these specifically

    http://hart.honda.com.au/QLD_Advanced/Intermediate or


    $180 6 hours
  2. Watching this thread closely, as I have also created a thread in the training, vendor section.

    Have you checked out the Team moto or Morgan and Wacker courses? They are also at Mt Cotton.
  3. Hopefully this is not completely useless to you...

    I've done both Stay Upright Advanced 1 and HART Advanced 1 here in Victoria.

    The main difference I found was that HART provided motorcycles whereas S.U. you bring your own. Assuming that holds true for the courses you're looking at, with both low and high speed maneuvering being on your agenda, I'd lean towards HART since it's their bike that would get dropped.

    To be honest I didn't find much difference between the two in terms of what was covered, apart from a different approach to emergency braking, and I prefer the S.U. braking "technique" to the HART one (it's all about when to apply rear brake) but that's just personal preference.

    Not sure how much high speed work you get to do in the intermediate course, but I suspect you're really wondering about grip & lean angle, and you can get the bike over pretty far without having to be on a race course so that should be fine.

    If you're not wanting to really push the boundaries in your training, then I'd lean towards S.U. since experience on your own bike, especially slow speed & emergency braking is worth more than double practicing those things on someone else's bike. Just double check with your insurance that they will cover you, but most do. I have to tell my insurer in advance if I'm taking my bike on a course and then I'm covered.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Often insurance will cover you if the mob offering the training are accredited to test people for their licence. So CSS is never covered since they don't do licence testing ;)

    Looks like S.U. may not be an option then, unless a) they provide bikes, or b) you don't mind being uninsured when you do the course...
  5. I see they do cover the HART intermediate but not the Advanced 1.

    I suspect somebody has the idea it teaches "racing" as opposed to "safer riding / motorcycle control". A rubbish assumption but one it may be hard to change.
  6. I've just complete the HART Advanced course(St Ives) 2 weeks ago and give it the thumbs up. The course is conducted on a closed road course which was perfect for putting into practice the techniques learnt throughout the day. The instructors were extremely helpful answering any question asked no matter how stupid it felt. The last hour of the course was spent lapping the track which was a load of fun.

    BTW - People on the course hired bikes (Hornet 600 & VTR250's)
  7. I did both my Q-Rides through HART brisbane. The guys were brilliant, but can be a tad abrasive at times which seemed to work at drilling the message into us. I was lucky enough to have a good spread of experience with the instructors (one dirt bike rider, one racer, and a crazy scotsman) who enjoyed what they were doing. I get the impression its more than just a pass/fail/issue completion certificate sort of thing for them.