Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hart - Confidence and Road Skills Course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Aly, Sep 25, 2011.

1. I went to the above course today and it really helped with my confidence on the bike. Just thought I'd come on here and recommend it to anyone who has just done their L's. It was good to have support on my first ride on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I did my second Prac session at HART yesterday. Had Ross and he suggested this course. I am going to see when the next available time is. The nerves in me are starting to kick in way more than I thought. My basic bike skills are pretty good, need to put them into practice.
  3. Sundays learner rides do that as well.

Saturdays learner rides also,

And you will get some one there that can help you as well.
  4. I havent got my bike yet. I'm starting to get nervous. Do you think I should just wait until I get my bike and then just take baby steps in my area? Like I said the bike doesn't worry me,just the unknown of the roads, drivers etc.
  5. Like hell they do. Saturday and Sunday rides are awesome for people once they have a little bit of experience. You have to remember that for some people the L's test is really the only time they have been on or even seen a bike and they dont get over 30kms an hour! Saturday and Sunday rides aren't put putting around straight roads in first and second gears. Reefton for your first ride is not a good idea!

Tigress, at the confidence course you only ride on the road for half an hour. The training before hand is very useful but you may have already got that with the number of practise sessions you have done. Like you, I didn't have a bike after my L's course. The confidence course gave me a chance to ride on the road before I got my bike. Without this course there is no way I would have been confident enough to ride my bike home from the shop.
  6. You make some valid points Aly!

I think the confidence course is a good idea. I just wanted some opinions before I booked it. The practice sessions at HART have been fantastic. I don't think I need anymore, but the confidence one would be good. I need to incorporate the skills on the road and start learning new skills.
    One more step before I go shopping for my bike.

7. baby steps are good. when I got my first bike did little rides around the back streets most nights after work. lots of stops and starts and corners. helps with running it in too.
  8. Reefton and Blacks Spur are just roads,

I have taken heaps of Learners across both, lots of times,

I have just taken one old Duck from Nothing to learner to licence and own bike,

And she did stack it on the Reefton, But she would have done that any where,

Sooner or later, She looked at the gutter and promptly fell into it,

Reefton, Beach road, Freeway, Back road, carpark, They are all just roads,

You are not riding on your own, You are riding in a group, And the better riders are looking after you,

I do know what its like to go through the learner process,

And how shit scared you are to even get on the thing,

I have watched heaps of learners on here become quite good riders, and watched a lot of them stack as well,

Before you walk, you usually spend some time crawling, Bikes are the same,

There is also a Mentors thread on here if you want some one to hold your hand.
  9. There is a major difference between a "learner" and someone who has never ever set foot on a road. Tigress has an hour ride BEFORE she gets to Sat practise and any of the usual ride meet points. Saturday and Sunday rides are generally all day rides too.

Its very easy for experienced riders to forget how terrifying that first week of riding is. In regards to your partner, she has had the luxury of seeing your bike, seeing you ride and wasn't she also pillioning? That's a huge head start on the experience some other people have.
  10. I am quite aware of that.

People I have taken out are struggling to Sit on the bike, let alone ride it, and Yes,
    Their pants are usually full,

They are bloody terrified, And untill they drop it the first time, and find they are not dead, injured or terribly mutilated, that fear will stay with them,

The first drop takes away a lot of the ingrained fear most non riders have of bikes, You can laugh about it then,

But they all get there, It just takes patience, I do have patience,

Ride at you own pace, no matter how bloody slow you are, You will get there,

Its miles under your bum that make you a rider, Not the roads you ride, They are still, just roads,

Once you can ride well, you will understand where I am coming from,

You can put it into practice and teach others to ride,

Yes, Heather was lucky, She got taught from the top down, Not like you, from the bottom up.

She got taught by a bloke that learnt to fall off a bike properly before he could even ride the bike,
    If you cant fall off properly, you will get injured or dead,

Speedway Solo, Has two wheels, one motor, one gear, and a clutch, No brakes, and its all Roll Off, Roll On,
    Thats what I learnt to ride on, Round dirt track full off holes and lumps of dirt, Or the salt flats,

Back wheel almost passing the front one, Hahahahahahahaha
    Smooth is the tar road to get there.

Heather rides like this, One day, you might, She's a Nanny rider also, and always will be,

11. Hi ALy,

Just did my baby learners course as well at HART ST Ives with Richard and Tony. I am waiting for my Bike so thought I might as well do some training while I wait. Was very good (only two of us in the class) and gave me some practical ideas about riding on a road layout vs carpark particularly with regard to road positioning and cornering safety without having to worry about oncoming traffic if you slightly cock up! Also did some slow practice and braking both of which were very valuable.

I would recommend people doing this course as it is a good bridge between L's and P's and is slightly more formal training that the Sat/Sunday runs but I think that they also have a significant place as well. One thing I have learnt though is that formally trained trainers are generally better and stopping bad habits from the outset whereas informal trainers tend to try to get the person just to replicate what they think is right in a less rigid manner (I have done a lot of training courses in other topics and it is truly an art-form in its own right to get people trained properly!).

All that being equal, I am looking forward to going to the Netrider days and meet a few people and also do some further training at practice days prior to doing the MOST test.

And as a secondary point, I am surprised how helpful and enthusiastic people are to help (both on the courses and on places like Netrider) so makes my interest in riding that much more and encourages me to get out to ride more!

Kudos to all.

Cheers Spocky
    • Like Like x 1
  12. How does one fall off a bike "properly?" :-s :-k
  13. A legend in his own lunchbox no doubt.
  14. If you dont fall off properly. Enjoy your shattered bones, Hospitals are full of riders like you.
  15. I'm sure there are some great accredited and proven courses out there teaching these incredible skills. Frankly, unless you are riding in an environment where coming off is a fact and you can semi train for it - the time is probably best spent learning skills somewhere else. Alternatively, people who have experience in activities which have heavy impacts will probably have half an idea.

It isn't something which is worth teaching. Nor is sticking a learner on an inappropriate road for their skill level productive (in fact not just learners). It only serves to put them, and other traffic at risk (particularly one as unforgiving as the reefton). Not only is it bad advice, it is downright dangerous - regardless of how many years/km/hours you have been riding. Like it or not - not all roads are created equal and they do require different skillsets. Not only that, riders should be acutely aware of the skillsets they have, and those they aren't so great at. The reefton is just another road for someone who is used to it or a local, or someone who has some experience and confidence in their abilities - no different to the cbd roads, are just another road to those who are familiar with them. They require completely different skills though. Of course though, this will pale into insignificance once you have pointed out "how many miles are under your bum" or "how many years" you have been riding.

Some of the learner sessions are appropriate, as are some of the great intermediate/confidence courses out there. Which works best will come down to the person at hand. A bit of official training certainly doesn't hurt though, and helps interpret the shared knowledge on NR from time to time.
  16. Hi I agree/disagree with some of the points made, so I'll just give u my thoughts & experiences from when I got my learners. pillioned for about 10,000 kms, yep that helped as I was continually given info, also feeling the movement, taking in all that's around you, road condition hazards plus always being told to ride like your INVISABLE to everything that's on the road, that one has really stuck. got my "L"s on the thursday, bike on Saturday, never riden a bike before, down to the local car park, as a pillion!!!!!! next day down canterbury rd BUT with the OL BUGGER sitting behind & out to the right so no cars could get close to me. I had the luxury of having him there for quite a few weeks every time I rode, I continually checked my mirrors to see if he was there, it was my security blanket. when i had trouble with the roundabouts he would pillion me around & around to get the feel, speed etc on my bike. Also I often say if I hadn't been driving for 40 years it would have been a slower process as well cause I don't have to concentrate AS hard & can think a little more about the bike skills, but that's me. I still have reservations about going on a learner/noobie rides, but when I did the great ocean ride with a couple of the long time riders, (thanks george, & the other guys) they were awesome they did a great job of babysitting me. To me, that's another issue us noobies have to except is being LOOKED out for, being independent generally,then excepting that as noobies WE do need to b looked out for, for how ever long it takes, again, an individual thing, i still struggle with that one.

Is it possible for u to have some one with u when u go out for a few times, even in the car park? just till u get use to the feel of the bike then u don't have to think about traffic.
    the other thing i did to get the feel of the clutch control was practise in the yard, forward & back, forward & back.

where do u live, I'd b more than happy to come to the car park & just sit while u play around or back streets. It
    s just having s'one there if u need a little help.
    Message me if that helps.
    Oh, by the way, I'm thinking of changing from a cruiser to a sports so I'll b going thru a similar thing having to change positions etc.

Yep, I ride like a Grandma, cause I am one, but that's how I enjoy my ride, riding a bike is for the enjoyement of it, not to be stressed over it, NO MATTER how u ride, it's a personnal choice.

Take ya time tigress & do it at ya own pace, sure, listen & watch to pick up valuable pointers from some very experienced riders, but eventually ONLY YOU CAN RIDE YOUR RIDE.
    All the best, most of all, have fun & b safe.
  17. Heathermac makes many valid points. My experience is that nothing prepares you for riding in traffic (apart from riding in traffic). You're really not going to know how you go until you get out there and ride and to that end you've got to ride at your own pace in a way that feels comfortable to you. I think as learners we tend to overthink things a bit (I know I have) and from my perspective nothing beats getting time on the bike.
  18. All good things take time, and if I had 1/3 of the riding experience and skills of Deadman I'd be a very happy chappy..
  19. You have got it, in one, Go forth and conquer, Cheers,
  20. I might be a legend in my own toolbox,

But I can ride, And I do it extremely well.