Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Harley's still doing fine....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Toecutter, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Harley-Davidson Net Jumps 18% on Higher-Priced Models

Oct. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Harley-Davidson Inc., the maker of Electra Glide and Fat Boy motorcycles, said third-quarter profit rose 18 percent on demand for its highest-priced models.

Net income climbed to $312.7 million, or $1.20 a share, from $265 million, or 96 cents, a year earlier, the Milwaukee-based company said today. The results exceeded analysts' estimates, and Harley maintained its forecast for per-share earnings growth of as much as 17 percent a year through 2009.

Harley stoked demand for its cycles by adding a more powerful V-Twin engine and a six-speed transmission to its Dyna, Softail and Touring models, which sell for more than $30,000 after riders customize their bikes with chrome components and other accessories. Harley-Davidson sells about 30 percent of motorcycles worldwide with engines of 650cc or larger.

International sales rose 19 percent on gains of 14 percent and 30 percent in Japan and Canada.

Harley's shares rose 28 cents to $63.43 at 10:52 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange trading. They have gained 23 percent in 2006.

Harley-Davidson has shipped 256,348 motorcycles worldwide through the first nine months. The company said it expects to ship between 349,000 and 351,000 motorcycles for the year, compared with an earlier forecast of 348,000 to 352,000 cycles.

Harley earns more from motorcycles than any company, including Honda Motor Co., the world's largest motorcycle maker. While Honda sold more than 10 million cycles, scooters and all- terrain vehicles last year, 25 times Harley-Davidson's unit volume, it had only $980.4 million in operating income from those products, compared with $1.3 billion for Harley-Davidson in 2005.

Harley changed its stock symbol to HOG, a slang term for large motorcycles that dates back as far as the 1920s, in August. The symbol also refers to the Harley Owners Group, a club with more than 1 million members.

2. no suprises there toecutter, HD is not going to disapear any time soon.
  3. Not to mention with the rising fuel costs world wide, bike sales are going great everywhere....

Remember, those accountants need bikes as well ;)
  4. With the patriotic fervour that helped them through a bad patch with government assistance in the 70s now even at a higher pitch, and an affluent baby-boomer demographic, these figures are not surprising. I wonder what their revenue for accessories and clothing is, separate from the bikes themselves???
  5. good news for harley owners, it means they will be able to invest more back in to design ;)
  6. Doesn't seem so rosy when you take this into account from the past 12mths though...

That's a MASSIVE loss of value, so it would be expected that they may see some gains follow.
  7. Is that the best you can do?

triway - your article is actually 18 months old :roll:

Harley just released 96" V-Twins, so latest engine upgrade was six/seven years compared to 15 from Evo to Twin Cam
  8. In 2005, the Company’s net revenue and net income grew
    6.5 percent and 7.8 percent, respectively, making 2005 the 20th
    consecutive year of record net revenue and net income. Net
    revenue of $5.3 billion was $327 million higher than in 2004,
    while 2005 net income of $960 million was $70 million higher
    than last year.

Revenue from sales of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles grew
    to $4.2 billion in 2005, an increase of 6.5 percent over 2004.
    In 2005, Harley-Davidson motorcycle shipments were a record
    329,000 units, up 3.7 percent over 2004. Buell motorcycle
    revenue of $93 million was up 17.8 percent. Revenue of Genuine
    Parts and Accessories in 2005 totaled $815.7 million, a 4.4
    percent increase over the previous year, and General Merchandise
    revenue was $247.9 million, an increase of 10.8 percent compared
    to 2004.

See page 32 of 2005 annual report here
  9. When I was waiting for DuHAST to arrive at Peter Stevens Harley in Melbourne I had a quick look at the accessories and the prices! They all seem to be very well-made, but they ain't cheap :shock: :LOL:
  10. And they look pretty darn good. With the XT as well, I think Harley are finally deciding to get their sh1t together and start making some bikes that go well as well as look good...
  11. I wouldn't kick a V-rod out of bed if it farted.
  12. :rofl: :rofl:

so the company making more profit off an already overpriced bike is good news why? :shock: i mean how can paying 6 times what a bike costs to build help you feel better about your purchase? harley make a bike for $5k and sell it for $30k, honda make a bike for $5k and sell it for $10k - of course they'll rake it in :LOL: then you've got accessories and mechandise blah blah blah blah you know the story :p

dont get me wrong, i really dont mind harleys, i'd even probably own one (alongside another bike for more exciting riding) if they weren't so stupidly overpriced. what i dislike is the way the company operates, and the riders that somehow think that anything non-harley isn't a 'real' bike :roll: nothing against the bikes themselves, but sometimes you've just gotta laugh :LOL: