Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Harley parts

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by Willzah, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Ummm, not a surprise - this has been going on for decades. Parts have been made in many countries, and many factories have been set up on non-us soil.
    Just because a part comes from a certain place doesn't mean the rider is happy about it - often they aren't even aware...
  2. American build not made...
  3. Er... yeah.

Same way your Hyosung forks are Chinese, not korean. Your Triumph has Thai parts on it and on and on. Doesn't really matter as long as the local quality control is up to scratch.
  4. Note it is a carbie part. Hardley carbies have been Japanese at least since the early eighty.

so: "Welcome to last century"

BTW the cast wheels are made in Adeliade.
  5. I spose he's pointing out the irony that such an iconic american manufacturer as HD, which even successfully lobbied against foreign motorcycles, uses foreign parts a.k.a. 'jap-crap' in their vehicles.

But yeah, old news. They don't even design their engines themselves anymore. Soon it'll just be jackets and badges.
  6. Are you talking about the V-rod engines? They were co-designed by Porsche, weren't they? I've seen a doco about the making of the engine and Harley were certainly involved. Megaphat, it's also interesting to know that Harley lobbied for foreign motorcycles a few years after they had the tariff introduced.

I think Ibast is right - they switched to Mikunis many moons ago.
  7. And everyone else is pointing out that this is hardly an earth-shattering revelation.

Doesn't Harley now make FAR more money from merch than from bikes? Their sales are down something like 80% this year - hence off-loading MV and closing Buell to save money.

Maybe rationalising the business further to concentrate solely on their main volume sales (merch) would make sense.