Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Harley Davidson Night Rod

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by cougs, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Thought I might write up a little review of the new ride now I've had it a week or so and put some miles onto it.

The Bike:

2007 VRSCD Pacific Blue Pearl
    1130cc injected 60Deg water cooled V-Twin
    18.9l tank
    Slipper clutch
    Has new 2:1 pipe, hi-flow air filter and fuel manager fitted
    New Burleigh fat bars - slightly wider and touch more pull back than STD
    'Special' fwd controls fitted
    Stock seat
    Brembo brakes - dual disc front, single rear
    Dunlop Sportsmax rubber, 240mm rear
    Various bling

The Good:

The look. I like it because its different. I wanted a Harley but didn't want to go the same road as everyone else and also wanted something that didn't need bolts tightened after every ride.

Torque - plenty of it as expected from a v-twin, and unlike her air cooled cousins she likes to rev. 4k - 7k RPM makes you sit up and take notice.

Brakes - absolutely fantastic. Smooth and solid, pulls up real well.

Mileage is not bad as long as you don't put the boot into it. Getting 280ish kms before the light comes on riding normally so not too bad.

Gearbox is tight and firm in changes, none of the usual clunk you'd expect from a HD. A little slow to get off the mark due to the gearing but very smooth in the changes.

Will better $1.00 in every gear, tickes along about 3800rpm on the fwy at the 100

Riding position - surprisingly comfy. I'm 6' and fits perfectly. The seat is fine and I've had no drama in riding all day with a break every 2 hrs for fuel/coffee etc

Alarm - no button fob automatically arms when i move more than 6 feet from the bike. Keys stay in my pocket unless I'm locking or unlocking her (great for quick stops where I'm in sight of her)

Instrument cluster - easy to see and read. Digital odo, clock, range to empty and trip meters. Tacho and fuel guage.

Self cancelling indicators work quite well.

Very stable on the road - easy bike to ride both fast and slow. Light for a Harley (289kg dry) and quite manouverable. Low centre of gravity no doubt helped by the under seat fuel tank. I test rode a heap of bikes and compared to say a Road King this thing is a dream to ride around town. I wouldn't say its an ideal commuter just yet though...

The not so Good:
    Price. Well, its a Harley and you don't buy one if you're looking for a cheap bike. I'm sure someone will tell me I could have bought a {insert bike here} ans still had change for a track bike, but I don't care.

[Depending on your preference, could be a 'good'] the pipe is loud, earplugs are a must for longer trips.

Storage - small amount of space under the seat, but try and add saddle bags and it spoils the look IMHO. I wouldn't mind a rear seat cowl a-la the Boulevards for some extra storage - there's a mob in the US that do them but pretty pricey so the leather pouch strapped to the forks will do for now (I don't see it when riding so don't really care what it looks like!).

Being a cruiser it doesn't tip in all that far to start with but with the wide rear it takes a little extra effort, you have to positively steer it rather than just lean (mind you, for me thats a positive)

The Verdict (so far):

Glad I bought it.

Looks good but importantly for me rides well....I bought it to ride, not polish (but will do a little of that too)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sounds great. Does it have a temp gauge? I ask because I watched a documentary / informercial about the making of these, in the test mule prototype stage, and they had a lot of trouble keeping them cool. That bit of 'bodywork' around the radiator is very carefully designed, and the end result of a lot of trial and error. Keep an eye out for leaves and scraps of paper and stuff getting in there.

You say it takes a bit of muscle to get it leaned over - once it is, do you have to hold it down? Or does it stay on line until you stand it up?

They're a nice looking thing, I must admit.

3. My next bike is the Nightrod Special so i'll agree with everything u say :)

4. No temp gauge (you can fit an aftermarket one which I might do) but it does have a warning light.

Once its leaning it tracks quite well and is pretty stable, and stands up effortlessly. The tip in is not a great effort, just due to the wide tyre profile.

Ground clearance is quitre low though - I sc**** the boots & pegs earlier than I was on the Hyo so cornering speed is something that must be kept in mind.

5. To cruise or not to cruise..............
    yes.. no.. yes.. no.. yes.. no..

One of each would be the answer but??????

6. haha...I have a similar dilemna, but from the other viewpoint....

7. You should bring it around one TNMR, I'm sure we'd all lurv to see and hear it ;)
    Nice review (y)

8. yeah - it'll be out and about....gotta get some pics side by side with the Vmax!

might take her for a run down to Rawson on Sat and I'll drop in to Sat prac from time to time

9. Friken love night rods!

10. Isnt that a V-Rod?
    I thought the Night rods were all blacked out?

11. Night Rod Special (VRSCDX) were all black.

In 07 the Night Rod were available in 3 or 4 different co ours as well as black. Different from the VRod in that the engine is blacked, the headlight cowl and a few other bits + pieces.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

12. AWESOME bike, Cougs. That's why you wanted to keep it a a secret. hehe.

See you around sometime soon on the one of the cruises. (y)

13. I've always admired the V-Rods. Unlike the air-cooled Harleys, they don't sound like a huge wet fart.

The only thing I find strange about them is the riding position. They're supposed to be a replica drag-bike, but the foot pegs are forward. Most of the time they look like a big scooter when there's a rider on board. Anyone else agree, or am I smoking something again ?....

14. hi guys,
    i have lusted after a V-Rod ever since i set eyes on one a few years ago...
    In typical fashion I am plotting my upgrade from the ER6 not even a month after having come off my L's.
    I am a purely commuting rider at this stage, so I want to know if there are riders on here that commute on the HD and if so do you manage to filter/split through city traffic on it?
    My primary concern in going towards a cruiser is the added width and how that might affect my ability to get through traffic.

15. It's not the V-Rod but, when I was commuting on the DR650, the one rider I saw regularly who could consistently keep up with (or, given the right circumstances, get away from) me through traffic was a five-foot nothing, 50 year old woman on a Nightster. Not to blow my own trumpet but, as an ex-Pom I'm a fairly...erm....assertive filterer. So yes, cruisers can split and filter with the best of 'em.

16. Sporster, yes. Big twin, no. v-rod, maybe.

17. cheers fellas....

18. Commute on mine semi regularly - Monash &/or Eastern Frankston - Collingwood. No dramas filtering or splitting except Punt Rd near Swan St where its really tight

19. They do look good but I just didn't gell with the riding position of any of the V-Rod or Night Rods I sat on. They put my legs forward and my arms forward and made my back into this C shape, just didn't work for me.

Love the look of Night Rods.

(even if Stroker reckons my bike sounds like a wet fart) :finger:

20. The riding position is a bit 'clam shell' like, but I've done 1000km+ days on mine without too much discomfort