Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Harley Davidson FXDB StreetBob

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Kurse, Dec 26, 2008.

1. SO I'm in the market for a cruiser, and I've got my heart set on a 2009 StreetBob. I took an FXSTC for a spin, it had forward controls and an exhaust, was fun as to really enjoy the ride and not care what everyone else was doing, I now realise how much fun cruisers can be.

Then the other day I take an FXDB 2007 model for a ride, forward controls and exhaust [two main mods I'll be putting on mine]. First thing I noticed was the vibration, my GOD, it vibrates friggin heaps, way more than the softail custom.

The vibration I can handle but one thing I'm worried about is, I found I struggled a bit keeping my feet on the pegs when I'd take off and also cruising at 100 ks, my feet felt like they were really hanging out the side and I had to constantly keep my legs tense to keep em on the pegs. This didn't happen on the softail custom, so I assume it's a Dyna thing yeah? Probably due to the slimmer frame?

Maybe my legs will get used to it, but if they don't, then my long rides I'm planning - Queensland, Perth etc are gonna be a bit hard on my legs.

I like the feel of the forward controls, I'm aware the stock controls on a SB are mid-mounted, the other option is highway pegs, but I'm thinking that could be dangerous if I use em heaps and need to brake in a hurry, I figure I'm better off just getting forward controls, plus another set of pegs at the front looks a bit retaded in my opinion.

I come from a sportsbike background and have only ridden a handful of cruisers, so maybe it's me not knowing how to ride that style of bike.

Anyone ridden a StreetBob before and knows what I'm talking about? Anyone own a Streetbob?
  2. Had the same problem when I first got my Yamaha Cruiser. It felt like only the inside 1/2 of my bootsole was in contact with the pegs.

Perseverance paid off though. After the first couple of hundred kays I 'adjusted' to the peg placement and now It's really comfortable. :grin:
  3. BIG differene between the Softails and Dyna's.

Softails have their engine solidly mounted to the frame and use counter balancers to reduce vibrations - so at idle very smooth. Even up the rev range they are smooth - however IMHO, doing long rides on them the vibrations become a bit annoying - as it's more of a buzz

Dyna's (and post 04 Sporties) have rubber mounted engines - that shake at idle, but then smooth out as the revs increase. My FXDWG was silky smooth at highway speeds

On the peg position - you'll get used to it. Forward controls will get boots scraping occasionally - but the benefit is a straight back and IMHO more comfortable "cruisy" seating position.