Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hard to start GS650 Katana

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by kols_kebabs, Mar 30, 2007.

1. My bike requires some serious grinding away on the starter to get going.

It's almost impossible to start if it's been left for a day or two. I've had to push start it after it had been left sitting for a single day.

It has a new battery and plugs and the starter motor sounds strong.

It won't idle without stalling until the engine is well hot, think at least 10-15 minutes of regular riding.

It idles fine when hot (around 1100rpm), but most of the time idles around 500rpm or less. If riding in cool conditions (rain, or simply crusing at high speed on the highway) the bike will stall as soon as it is allowed to idle.

Raising the idle is obviously not the solution, given the idle varies hugely with temperature.

So I'm looking for possible solutions. The electrics on the GS series were famously crap. The bike doesn't smoke or backfire, so not overly lean or rich, and therefore the carbs seem okay. Honestly, otherwise the engine performance is perfect.

Help! I can't push start the heavy bus again :cry:

2. if its having trouble idling and vary due to air temperature im thinking carb mixtures need looking and balancing.

also when was last valve lash?

more so the carbs though

3. Thanks, very interesting- and clearly out of my depth!

4. sorry pretty much what i meant to say is a carburettor service :)

hopefully mech wont charge you too much

5. I just got my new bike and it has a similar problem, a friend who knows more about bikes told my this was the way to go.

My problem is a bit different, I tried riding it today (no licence, on private property :p) and after i gave it a bit of a rev in first it worldnt go down, it keeps rising when im off the throttle, I panicked pulled the front brake and want down... at like 3Ks :D, no damage to me or the bike, its as if something is sticking. Ahh well, Ive been suggested to do the same as above, should be working fine when I get my licence to ride it again :D

6. Definately sounds like a fuel problem.. you may have water in the tank
    which gains momentum if bike is left outside with an empty tank...
    condensation blah blah

try a cup of metho in the tank first to assimilate the fuel to the water to burn it off... fuel taps & fuel filters next...is choke stuck on?

7. Ridden too often to have water in the tank... Can't be as simple as taps or filters... If choke was stuck on I'd know.

I'm going to go with carburretion problems. Come to think of it I've owned a few crap old bikes that stalled all the time, and they were down to carby problems.

Bike's actually not as bad as I thought. Got on it for the first time in 2 days, started instantly in the dead cold of night. Still takes way too long for the idle to come up to operating temp though, although surprisingly at anything near or over 500rpm it can run without stalling (mostly). I guess I'm used to big, touchy singles and twins, that need at least 1200rpm on the tacho.

8. Heh, KK. How many bikes have you owned? :shock:

9. Hmm...
    1999 bug escape
    2001 Honda CB250
    1987 XBR500
    1999 SZR660
    1980 CB250N
    1983 GSX400f
    1981 GS650G Katana

The first two were learner bikes, bought because they were cheap and easy to ride. The rest were bought because they're cool (yes even the CB250n, you'd have to see it to understand- it was loud).

I've already got my eyes on the next one! There's always something better out there.

10. Remembering the two GS650G Katanas I had, there's a lot to be said about the carbs being a key starting point.

I havent had them for about 15 years now, but here's what I can remember.

The intake rubbers are likely to be stuffed (both from cracks due to age and heat stress, and not sealing properly and are probably letting in air without it passing through the carby first.

It's also likely that your carbs need a significant overhaul - resetting floats and all that sort of stuff as well. Draining them of crud would probably help (which is somethign anyone with a screwdriver can do).

Another thing that can really make it difficult is the old vacuum fuel taps when they're old and tired you dont easily get vacuum to start the fuel flowing.

Good tip - get a can of startyab*stard and spray into the airbox area and see if it starts really easily. If it does, that suggests fuel settings or fuel tap.

If it doesnt, then you need to look at the carb-to-head intake rubbers and clamps, or else an ignition problem or a slow cranking starter motor.

Is it much easier to start rollstarting?