Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hard gear change on a CB 250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tnate, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Hello All,

I have an old 1985 Honda CM 250 Custom (which has the same CB 250 engine and gear box), and am having a wee bit of trouble.

The gears change well while on the move, but once stationary (say at the lights) I find it extremely difficult to change up or down a gear, and trying to find neutral is almost impossible. This seems to happen only when the engine is warmed up to operating temp (say 15mins after starting her up).

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
    Thnaks for the help,
  2. Standard stuff for an old bike. How long since it had an oil change?
  3. Back when I was starting out I found it helped to 'rock" the bike backwards & forwards when trying to change gears while stationary. These days I downshift all the way to first gear before I stop.

I assumed this was the way gear boxes were designed to work, especially mine as it is a kwaka with their "positive neutral finder (tm)". Jason are you saying that the oil is the causes difficulty in gear changes while stationary?
  4. I just had this prob with my GS500. I found that it was my clutch not engaging properly (as an example, to which i discovered shortly after, the friction point of the clutch was about a milimeter from the hand grip)
    I adjusted the clutch lever to where it should be, and now all is apples.
    Hope this helps.
  5. The only way I've found to 'release' the gear shift, is so let the clutch out to the friction point, and back again a few times.
    It is still almost impossible to get it into neutral though, as it seems to skip itself passed it every time.

I changed the oil a couple of months ago, and even though it is a wet style system, I don't believe that old oil would impinge on gear selection at all.

The clutch is adjusted to the workshop manual's specifications.

I just don't know what's causing it, and it is driving me up the wall. This bike is my daily city driver, so being able to change gears at the lights is pretty important.

Thanks for the feedback
  6. Yep, sounds like my old '92 CB250. Welcome to the club!!

7. Thought that was best practice anyway... they certainly teach you to do so at HART.

I'd guess old/wrong oil too, if it only really happens once the oil is warm. Try a different weight?