Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

happy pi day !

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mickyb V9, Jul 22, 2009.

1. To fellow nerds and geekazoids !

Happy Pi day !

You know . . . . 22/7 ! :LOL:
  2. isn't it a bit early in the day for a pi?
  3. ...squares!!!! :roll:

4. I love pi day......................

5. Circle actually !
    If the diameter of a circle equal 1, the circumference equals pi.
  6. Never to early or late for pi or pie.

Edit - there was no edit
  7. That looks more like a cheesecake Geeth.
  8. I was reading a Charles Stross novel, and he riffed on all the 'Web 2.0' hype by making a 'Web 3.1415' joke.

I snorted, but then thought to myself 'Well, it should really have been rounded to 3.1416'.

Yes, I'm that sad. ;)
  9. What are you talking about :p
  10. The bill "House Bill No. 246, Indiana State Legislature, 1897", reportedly set the value of pi to 3.

HOUSE BILL NO. 246
    "A bill for an act introducing a new mathematical truth and offered as a contribution to education to be used only by the State of Indiana free of cost by paying any royalties whatever on the same, provided it is accepted and adopted by the official action of the legislature of 1897.

more at...

And anyway - the Bible says Pi=3
    (1 Kings 7:23 NIV)
    He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.

We haven't had a good biblical dispute for a while :LOL:
  11. Sneaky Bastard! :LOL:
  12. yeah, but in biblical times they did not have CNC machines or mastered metallurgy and centrifugal casting methods ! . . . therefore it is safe to assume they allowed for dimensional error ! :grin:

Anyway, a cubit is measured from your elbow to your wrist isn't it ??? They could have had two different people measuring the wheel ! . . .

I think the Vatican would agree to my statement !
  13. Ya.. I don't think they would have measured .141519 of a cubit.. so Pi is 3, when rounded to the nearest whole number (or length of arm/cubit).
  14. my head hurts :facepalm: