Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Happy cop story QLD

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by hopeless, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Well relatively:p

After typing the other day I've never been pulled over on a bike, I got pulled over after a late meeting on the freeway.

I was in a rush to get home last night and was doing about $1.20 indicated when the lights appeared.
    Shit, thinks I. :eek:

Pulled over and the cop gets out, was really pleasant and talked a bit first, then tells me he's pulled me up for an illegal tail light. had a Chat about how the lights suited my bike and looked good but the fact is they are not legal as it was Blue. Took my licence back to his car and was there a while before he called me over. gave me 2 options, A defect notice with a month to fix, no fine. Or a $117 fine and 1 point. took the notice and he sent me on my way with a "enjoy the ride sir" Was quite a relatively pleasant experience actually.

Not a single mention of my speed "whew"

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. Good story and it seems some common sense was shown. The endgame was to have you amend your light and it's more likely that you'll do it now, especially without $117 taken from your pocket that could pay for changing the light.

Do you need to take the bike in anywhere to prove the light has been changed?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeah I was ptetty happy with the result. I have to present to redcliffe police station within a month. I got to choose the station.

I have never gotten away without a fine before so it was a very pleasant surprise. First time I have been pulled over on a bike too.

4.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. He did point out that he should be fining me by rights but felt confident I'd sort it. I can honestly say that everytime I have been pulled over I was doing something wrong.

I am more than happy to talk to a person and getting fined, particularly when they go through the rules to make me aware like this guy did. I think I am more likely to modify my behaviour with a cop compared to getting angry from a camera.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. I doubt you where doing 120 then, I'm guessing you are talking about 120 on your speedo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeh 120 on my speedo. I've never checked it. I was passing cars so more than 100 I reckon.
    I think he was a road work cop I passed at the northlajes exit.. No radar.

8. I've got a local bike cop who lives in my area, pulled me over one day said I was 12K over (which he wouldn't have stopped me for) and just crossed the dividing line on a dual lane road (I knew I'd stuffed the corner). I was polite, he was polite and he let me on my way with a pay more attention - there are some good ones around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Got to choose the station?

I'd choose somewhere a few hundred km away, and tell my wife "sorry....cop said I had to......"

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. some people in law enforcement and any job do shit to make themselves look good for promotions etc.
    thankfully MOST apples are good.. just some bad apples give EVERYONE a bad name :( glad to hear you had a good experience.

11. I think that can be anywhere from 108-114 depending on your bike. On mine it would be about 111 or so, if the speedo reads 120

12. Common Sense? How does fitting a BLUE tailight fall in to the realm of common sense. Because it suited the bike?? Standards are a good thing. That's why we have so many of them ;)

Some people just make you shake your head.

13. He was talking about the Cops Common sense. Not mine ;)

14. My R1200GS reads 7 kmh fast and my Navara is the same . Manufacturers seem to be doing this on purpose these days

15. I believe the Speedo tolerance in Australia is +10% & -1%, My vehicles vary quite a bit when checked against Sat Nav my Car (Chrysler 300) which is easiest to monitor having digital speedo is close with 100 kmh indicated varying from 99 to 100 on the Sat Nav, my ute indicating 100 is doing 91 by the sat nav & my ST1300 indicating 100 is doing 95.

16. My understanding is a little different to yours, although close.

In broad terms the speedo tolerance allowed is +10%,- 0%, the speedo is never allowed to read lower than the actual speed, but may read over by as much as 10%. There are some finer details than this in the rules but for practical purposes don't really matter. ADR 18 if you want to look it up.

Speedometer Accuracy - Speedo Regulations | RACQ

Before 1 July 2006

The accuracy of vehicle speedos is covered by Australian Design Rule (ADR) 18.

For vehicles manufactured before July 2006:

• An accuracy of +/- 10 percent of the vehicle’s true speed was needed when a vehicle was travelling above 40km/h. This means if a vehicle was travelling at a true speed of 100km/h, the speedo was allowed to indicate a reading between 90km/h and 110km/h.
    • An odometer accuracy of +/- 4 percent was also a requirement.

After 1 July 2006
    From 1 July 2006 all newly introduced models of a vehicle available on the market must comply with ADR 18/03:

• The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h.
    • The speedo must always read 'safe', meaning the vehicle's true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo. So if a vehicle travelling at a true speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. Another way of looking at this is if the speedo indicates a speed of 100km/h, the vehicle's true speed must be between 87.3 km/h and 100km/h.
    • There is now no requirement to have an odometer, and so there is no accuracy requirement.

From 1 July 2007

All newly manufactured vehicles (excluding mopeds) must comply with these rules.

This change was made to align Australian vehicle rules with those already in place in Europe. Note that some maufacturers chose to comply with the new rule before 1 July 2006, this is acceptable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Was on my 04 D'ohville and doing an speedo indicated $1.24 past the HWP on the F3 near Mt White. Didn't bother slowing down as that's an admission of guilt and draws attention, and they have you from much earlier anyway. He Didn't even look up.

I think last time I checked with a GPS I can add 5 kmh up to 90, and 10km/h in 100 and 110 zones.

I was overtaking about 90% of cars and being overtaken by 10. But it was commuting times going opposite to peak flow so the pace picks up.

18. Hah! AyeKayAyeKay I used to own a Dullsville too (05). There's a speedo checking camera Melbourne-bound just out of Geelong that I would frequently ride through and it rarely returned an accurate speed. If I was sitting on say $1.05 (speedo) it would return a detected speed of about $0.70 to $0.80 most of the time, and often return no speed at all. I just wonder whether they're calibrated on cars and behave differently when trained on bikes...

...or maybe Honda just felt sorry for us Dullsville owners, and fudged the speedo up a bit to make us feel better about ourselves :)

19. If they can make it not under read the true speed then why can't they make it not over read too and always give the true speed

20. Perfect accuracy at every speed? 0% error always?

Go on, design and construct one yourself, you make it sound so easy.

I'll just sit over here quietly and munch popcorn.

• Funny Funny x 1