Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Happy 1st birthday dad!

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by edgelett, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Most of you already know the story but for those of you who don't, here's the short version.

On 6th December 2007, my dad got a clot in an artery that caused his heart to stop. he also stopped breathing. While someone called an ambulance, someone else did CPR. But according to the paramedics, he was effectively dead for 20 mins.

Somehow they managed to kick start his heart again - maybe via efficient use of Motley Crue, who knows. But he was in a doctor induced coma for 4 days, and they prepared us for the worst.

We were pretty shocked but not suprised that he manged to fight off the drugs & wake up! The doctors were freaked out at the sight of him sitting up in bed. but our happiness turned to sadness as we realised he had no clue who we were, or even who he was.

What followed was 4 months in rehab as his memories came back & they assessed whether he could return to work, and what he could still do. They took his drivers licence away, and told him he couldn't drink, ride motorbikes or race go karts for at least 2 years. To a man so active & fiercely independent, it was a swift kick.

So he came home & went back to work with my boyfriend, cause as far as dad was concerned he was fine. He soon realised he couldn't do things he used to do - like programming alarm panels (my boyfriend had to do that for him, lucky he's a quick learner). He tried to waterski again, jumping straight to 1 ski and dry starts, only to find he had no idea how to do it. For dad it's been pretty frustrating. all the things he loves doing are off the list.

But at the same time, it's been very rewarding. he got his car licence back. He's remembering more stuff all the time. And underneath it all, he's still my dad - same ole sense of humour!

So on Saturday night we went to one of his old favourite restaurants for dinner to celebrate his first birthday - we figured since he died, he gets to start counting birthdays over again!

we had a great time, and it was a good oppertunity for us to just be thankful that he's still with us. he might be a little limited in what he can do, but as far as we're all concerned it's a small price to pay to have him here.

2. :grin: i bet he cant wait till his 18th

3. Heh, that's a pretty cool idea actually.

... and it'll save a lot of hassle lighting large quantities of candles.

4. thats a great story, glad to hear your father and your family are getting things sorted and hopefully back on track. :grin:

5. Wish him a happy birthday from all of us here at Netrider :)

Is he back to believing in Santa again :LOL:?

6. Sensational! 1 year on! Give him our best. :)

7. What a fabulous story!

Thanks for sharing - be sure to wish him a happy birthday for us!

8. Best wishes to you and your dad edgie,

Think the 7th birthday is always the best.

Cheers. Su

9. Yay Edgie Senior.

10. glad to hear things are going ok tash :)
    happy birthday to your dad :cool: