Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hanging off bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Spart106, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Hey Forum,
    With regaurds to hanging off the bike with knee out or just leaning the upper body and keeping your knees squeezed on the tank, what should I am for on the street? What does everyone else do? Should I be hanging off or just leaning off center?

2. I suggest you go for some advanced rider training. this should answer all your questions re body position and what is required.

'Getting the knee down' is meant for race tracks and to judge your lean angle. You don't need to do this normally
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. As above, don't be one of those knee down guys, who then get photographed and made fun of in a motorcycle forum.

For me and my basic road riding. I like to move my head towards the inside mirror (45 degrees, forward and sideways). The rest of my body has to follow then.

For commuting, I just stay inline with the bike.

Grip the tanks with your knees though when practising your cornering, it's a good habit to get into. If you feel like you are going wide in a corner, maybe you will grip with your knees and not your arms during the stress, hopefully this allows your arms to stay relaxed and tighten your line.

But as above, the best bet is to get coaching.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Thanks! I plan on going for advanced rider training when I pass the MOST at the end of next month. I have just been gently leaning and gripping the tank with my knees.

All the research I could find was "how to do it" and couldnt find much of "should I do it on the road".
    • Like Like x 1
  5. When riding , try to get your chin to always point in the direction of the vanishing point. This should cause you to move your upper body and weight shift slightly.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. That makes sense, I will do that. I have just been a little confused on it all :).

Also when I start group riding I dont want to be the only person not getting their knee down. Or even worse being the only one doing it :).
  7. Seriously, if I was leading a group ride and someone was leaning that far over to knee down at every chance I would ask them to leave.

Group rides are done in a safe manner and never at speeds requiring heroics.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. the road is not the place for knee down.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the clarifaction! I haven't tried it, I just wasnt sure if I needed to learn it for normal riding. I am very glad I didn't try it out.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Get a copy of A Twist of the Wrist 2, both the book and the video. They contain the best information on the technology of riding that you will find anywhere. Some techniques are mainly for the track. But they do explain the techniques that translate to the road very well. I got them for about $20 each from Amazon. The best $40 I ever spent on anything ever.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I had a leaner on the back and was teaching her to ride,
    It was hysterical watching riders hanging off the sides of their bikes and still wobbling
    thru the corners as they werent going fast enough for the bike to actually stand up straight by itself,
    It was a good way to teach her to ride, This is what you dont do, and the reasons why,
    NO, you dont have to hang off the bike, I dont, I sit in the middle of the seat and lean the bike,
    If your on the track and going 300 KPH, Yes Then you hang off the side, Every second counts,
    On the road, Its totally not necessary, Your just not going fast enough,
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I did watch a twist of the wrist 2 video, it was great! I learnt to relax on the handles and push the opposite foot into the pegs to the hand pushing to counter steer.

I have found myself leaning my upper body into the turn leading with my head and chin but holding the bike with both knees.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. What is the purpose of weight shifting?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. From my very limited knowledge, I think to make the bike lean over less at a given speed and corner, increasing available traction due to bike being more upright?
  16. If I'm riding spiritedly, I'll hang off. Though I don't do it as much now riding a naked with wider bars as I find it harder to move around without upsetting the bike.

If I'm riding in the rain, I'll shift my weight around to reduce lean angles of the bike through corners.

Normal riding, I lead with my chin and chest hugging the tank tightly with my knees.

When riding like a dick on the little ninja 300, I figured it was pretty easy to get the bike to 'knee down' lean angles. Though the minute you were off the bike you'd have to carry maybe 15-20% more speed through the corner to maintain that lean angle otherwise as was said above you'd wobble. It took me a good 3 months to get the balls to believe my bike could do it, but like anything once you do it it's easy.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Right*. But it's also about a bunch of other stuff - maximises ground clearance, keeping the suspension more vertical where it works better, limiting pegs and other things dragging on the ground...

Which style of weight shifting reduces the lean of the bike the most?

* purists won't like the reference to "traction" in the answer but it really doesn't matter for the purposes of this discussion.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Thank you for your time!

I think inside knee out, half bum cheek off and head off on same side as knee and bum so body is in one line but off centet? Not squeezing handles, bracing with knees and pegs?
  19. Pretty much right. This moves the maximum weight to the inside of the corner - bring that head forwards and towards the mirror like the other guys have said. This reduces the bike's lean the most.

Where or how often on the public roads are you legally going to be travelling at speeds where a cornering motorcycle would be necessarily leaning to the point that it is dragging furniture and attachments on the road?
    • Like Like x 2