Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Handlebar setup

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by XRrider, Jun 11, 2016.

1. I recently got my CBR250RR back from the shop after getting the forks and head stem bearings done. Since having it back the handling of the bike feels like it has changed; going into corners it now feels like the front wants to pull into the turn, almost like oversteer, and the bike feels less stable.

I believe this may be down to the position(angle) of the handlebars having changed. This is my first road bike and I hoped someone could give me a basic idea of what rotating them back or forward on the front forks would do to the handling.

2. If the handlebars are straight and your tires have good pressure then it should steer like any other CBR try by riding in a straight line without holding your handle bars, if bike doesn't pull to any one side then your are sweet.

"Oversteer" is not a bad thing in a bike as it means you can change direction quickly and turn in really late without going wide. It's when a bike doesn't want to steer into a corner and always runs wide that you have a problem.

Also when your tyres have a flat spot from commutting with a sudden square off near the edge the bike will feel like it wants to fall into a turn once you lean past a certain angle. So check your tyres out as well.
  3. Thanks BugzR34, the tyres are near new but I will take a look at the tyre pressure.
  4. Have they pulled the forks through the trees more than before. A change of 3 or 4mm has an effect with modern geometry. Lower the front,forks protruding through the upper tree higher speeds up the steering, raising the front with the fork tops flush with the top tree slows the steering. Set the bars so your comfortable with there angle on your wrists,they are clip ons I expect. I like mine as high as possible but clear of the tank at full steering lock. Then set the levers and switches to suit, take care as there might be lumps that locate these on the bars. Also take care tightening any of this stuff, snug enough not to move but I have snapped bar mounts with to much toque.
  5. S
    After having a look at the bike it appears that they have mounted the handlebars below the top tree, so the front of the bike is higher relative to the forks, but the handlebars are now lower. Whereas before the bars were above the top clamp. I'm guessing this would cause the change in handling?
  6. If the handlebars are clipons, mounted to the fork tubes. And originally these handlebars were bolted to the forks above the trees and now there below thats a big height difference. That will affect comfort and also put more of your weight on the front end.
    The bigger effect is where the fork tubes are compared to the top tree. To have the bars fitted above the tree the forks must have been though enough to fit them, at least 30mm. How far are they through now. We are taking 2 separate handlebars fitted to each fork leg right.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yes they are clip ons, when I took the bike in they were above the top clamp, now the bike has a new top clamp on it and they have put the clip ons back on below the top clamp, with the top of the forks almost flush with the top clamp.
    My bike is a 92 model, looking at the manual the way that the bars are configured now is the correct way, however I'm not sure I like the feel of it.
  8. The earlier way they were fitted would make the bike steer a lot faster but would be a lot more comfy with the bars higher. The way that are now would slow the steering down, make the bike more stable but put more of your weight on your wrists. No fairing clearance issues, its your bike so fit them where you want them. Just take care when torquing the bar mounts, as I said I snapped one on mine and for old Italian stuff its very hard to replace. Why the new trees,did it hit something. What i dont understand is you say its less stable now with the forks flush, thats the opposite to what it should be. With the bars lower its not so easy to keep your weight off them,use your legs on the tank and stomach mussel to hold you up. Countersteer with your hands and try less body weight on the bars. Maybe take a while to get used to it, but playing around with ergonomics is part of the fun
  9. Thanks for your help Zim! I had a spare top clamp and the one that was on there had some paint coming off so I swapped them over while the forks were off. I will give the old clamp a clean up.
    It may turn less quickly, but the feeling it now has when tipping into the turn is that the bars and front wheel want to turn in, in the direction of the turn, making the bike feel somewhat unstable. Whereas before the bike felt like it wanted to lean into the turn and the front wheel felt like it was staying on its line?
  10. Sounds like you answered your own qyuestion, I have the bars as high as possible on my sports bike, to old for extreme positions these days. Set the bike to what you feel best, there is a bit of work swooping this about. I once went between a couple of different weight fork oils till I made my mind up. It does get tedious after the 3rd or 4th time though. Still cannot get my head around raising and dropping the forks 30mm, thats a big change in relatively modern bikes. Common in old bikes with dead slow steering though.
    • Like Like x 1