Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hand signals for motrocycles

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bsab20, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Was wondering about hand signals for motor cycles
    Being a rider of old bikes vintage and classic which do not have indicators one has to reply on hand signals
    Does Victoria have set signals that one should use by law

2. Interesting question...

I've seen lots of cruiser riders simply holding out a hand like a pushbike rider does to indicate a lane change.

3. i've seen peeps stick out their foot.

4. Tapping the top of your helmet means police are nearby.
    Patting your stomach means your hungry.

5. yes, you are required to signal with hands. i think only a bicycle can get away without signalling for a left turn/change of direction, but must signal for a right turn/change. dunno bout bikers, but i do know you need to do it. hang a bit and ill find you the link...

---EDIT---

link is http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9A0EFAF5-B06B-49FE-A33B-17BBF4EDB213/0/part_05.pdf

bits you need to know are:

46. Giving a left change of direction signal
    (5) This rule does not apply to a driver if the driver’s vehicle is not fitted with
    direction indicator lights.
    so dont worry if your turning left :p

48. Giving a right change of direction signal
    (1) Before a driver changes direction to the right, the driver must give a right
    change of direction signal in accordance with rule 49 for long enough to
    comply with subrule (2) and, if subrule (3) applies to the driver, that subrule.
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.
    Note Changes direction to the right is defined in rule 45(3).
    (2) The driver must give the change of direction signal for long enough to give
    sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians.
    (3) If the driver is about to change direction by moving from a stationary position
    at the side of the road or in a median strip parking area, the driver must give
    the change of direction signal for at least 5 seconds before the driver changes
    direction.
    Note Median strip parking area is defined in the dictionary.
    (4) The driver must stop giving the change of direction signal as soon as the
    driver completes the change of direction.

49. How to give a right change of direction signal
    (1) The driver of a vehicle must give a right change of direction signal by
    operating the vehicle’s right direction indicator lights.
    (2) However, if the vehicle’s direction indicator lights are not in working order or
    are not clearly visible, or the vehicle is not fitted with direction indicator lights,
    the driver must give the change of direction signal by giving a hand signal in
    accordance with rule 50
    , or using a mechanical signalling device fitted to the
    vehicle.

50. How to give a right change of direction signal by giving a hand signal
    To give a hand signal for changing direction to the right, the driver must extend
    the right arm and hand horizontally and at right angles from the right side of
    the vehicle, with the hand open and the palm facing the direction of travel.

53. Giving a stop signal
    (1) A driver must give a stop signal in accordance with rule 54 before stopping or
    when suddenly slowing.
    (2) If the driver is stopping, the driver must give the stop signal for long enough
    to give sufficient warning to other road users.
    (3) If the driver is slowing suddenly, the driver must give the stop signal while
    slowing.

54. How to give a stop signal
    (1) The driver of a vehicle must give a stop signal by means of the vehicle’s brake
    lights.
    (2) However, if the vehicle’s brake lights are not in working order or are not clearly
    visible, or the vehicle is not fitted with brake lights, the driver must give the
    stop signal by giving a hand signal in accordance with rule 55
    , or using a
    mechanical signalling device fitted to the vehicle.

55. How to give a stop signal by giving a hand signal
    (1) To give a hand signal for stopping or suddenly slowing, the driver must extend
    the right arm and hand at right angles from the right side of the vehicle, with
    the upper arm horizontal and the forearm and hand pointing upwards, and
    with the hand open and the palm facing the direction of travel.
    (2) However, the rider of a motor bike may give the hand signal by extending the left arm and hand at right angles from the left side of the motor bike, with the upper arm horizontal and the forearm and hand pointing upwards, and with the hand open and the palm facing the direction of travel.

Road Rules - Victoria

-----

yup.. that was long enough :shock:

if that doesnt help, ur screwed :p :p

6. I can only find a Vicroads document requireing a stop to be signalled with either left or right hand. Nothing about turning in the document.

7. u needa look a lil above the stopping bit, 2wheels :p

i had all that mamorised, and more, courtesy of an 'incident' with a car and my pushy :(

all good now tho :)

8. Yep all looks fine to me...................for a DRIVER.
    The PDF I had was for motorcycles. I'll go back through the history in a sec.

:grin:

9. lol this is getting extremely tricky and technical now.

rules 46 and onwards as i mentioned above mention the terms 'driver', 'vehicle', and 'driver's vehicle'.

the link i originally provided is a sublink from a VicRoads website, listing pretty much all of the road rules and regulations. the link for this is long link

from there, you can find the link to the dicitonary, which defines the aformentioned terms.

these definitions are:

'driver' - see rules 16 and 19.

--> 16. Who is a driver
    (1) A driver is the person who is driving a vehicle (except a motor bike, bicycle,
    animal or animal-drawn vehicle).
    Note 1 Bicycle and motor bike are defined in the dictionary, and vehicle is defined in
    rule 15.
    Note 2 Drive includes be in control of—see the definition in the dictionary.
    (2) However, a driver does not include a person pushing a motorised wheelchair.
    Note Wheelchair is defined in the dictionary.

19. References to driver includes rider etc.
    Unless otherwise expressly stated in the Road Rules, each reference in the
    Road Rules (except in this Division) to a driver includes a reference to a rider,
    and each reference in the Road Rules (except in this Division) to driving
    includes a reference to riding.

***waait a minute. ok im interpreting this as i go, as its fairly complex, and im tired. these two rules have just stateed that a) driver refers to a car/truck driver, but not a motorbike driver, and b) when refering to 'driver' it includes motorbike rider unless stated otherwise. IS THIS NOT CONTRADICTING ITSELF??? moving along... ***

'vehicle' - see rule 15.

15. What is a vehicle
    (1) A vehicle is a conveyance that is designed to be propelled or drawn by any
    means, whether or not capable of being so propelled or drawn, and
    includes—
    (a) a motor vehicle, trailer and tram; and
    (b) a bicycle; and
    (c) an air-cushion vehicle—
    but does not include a train.

(2) However, a reference in the Road Rules (except in this Division) to a vehicle—
    (a) includes a reference to—
    (i) an animal that is being ridden or is drawing
    a vehicle; and
    (ii) a combination; but
    (b) does not include a reference to—
    (i) a wheelchair other than a motorised wheelchair capable of a
    speed of 10 kilometres per hour or more; or
    (ii) a wheeled recreational device; or
    (iii) a wheeled toy.
    Note Various terms mentioned in this rule are defined in the dictionary.

***thus a 'vehicle' is a car or motorbike***

'driver’s vehicle' - for a driver, means the vehicle being driven by the driver.

***thus, since a driver can be either a car driver or a motorcyclist unless otherwise mentioned, and a vehicle can be either a car or motorbike, the 'driver's vehicle' can be either a car or motorbike**

Therefore, all Road Rules i listed above, unless otherwise stated, apply to BOTH car drivers and motorcyclists

Q.E.D.

(shit that was an effort :shock: )

10. nibor, you win :LOL:

11. hahaha, i was waiting for you to post back :p was curious if u found anything more...

but yeah, atm im feeling pretty confident i know those road regulations like the back of my hand :? they actually almost make for an interesting read, if your bored enough. good to know when the copper pulls you up too, you can say "nooooo mr policeman :p please refer to road rule 50, i was signalling a right turn, not giving you the bird :grin: "

out of curiousity, and since this thread is pretty much completely answered :p, does anyone know any other motorbike specific laws that could be useful?

12. :LOL: You're a sucker for punishment.

13. lol whatcha got? :p

14. Nothing specific, but you may just open a big can of worms with different interpretations.
    I'll step back and take a bow now thanks. :LOL:

15. aww c'mon!!

as you've seen, different interpretations can be easily defined and limited to their actual intended meanings, with a lil bit of quoting from the Road Safety (Road Rules) Regulations 1999 :LOL:

what else am i gonna do @ 1am on a weeknight then... :(

16. Edit: i didnt read properly and posted something stupid :D

17. ah, to be young and dumb, again. :wink:

[​IMG]

18. It's a bit of a problem when no one can understand what it all means ;)

19.  Top