Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by twainharte, Jun 22, 2009.

1. i kinda want one. anyone on here have any advice on this bit of outdoor furniture.

has to span this:

fit onto this:

for a single person. how easy is it to fall off on these things?
  2. Hammocks are neither safer or less safe than any other method of outdoor reclining. If you recline defensively, are proactive in learning to ride your new aquisition, and don't ride angry or drunk, you should be just fine.

Some would say it's just a matter of time till you fall out of it, but they're just reckless, inherently unskilled, or race their hammocks.
  3. Or start out swinging on a hammock designed for learners, which will probably be too small for a full grown adult.
  4. Hammocks rock.

No drama getting one on those solid posts with the right knots.

If you laze defensively they're quite safe. With the big ones you're well below the sides and it's near impossible to fall out, but you can hang it closer to the ground if you want.
  5. I have fallen out of hammock many times, I am not to sure though if it's to do with there design of the level of blood with my alcohol.
  6. hmmm, nice analogy.

i can just see myself or someone else falling onto that 2 ft brick wall/pavers below :shock:

disregard inebriation. have any of you actually fallen off whilst asleep?
  7. maybe pitch a hammock so that the lowest point is 5cm from the floor?
    you'd be hard pressed to damage yourself seriously from that height
  8. Never fallen off while sleeping, it's the sudden waking that is an issue.

If you have a hard surface below then maybe a rubber mat under the hammock might not be a bad idea esp if you wanna get drunk and nap on it.
  9. I'm pretty sure the position of the authorities is that there's no danger unless you relax too fast.
  10. Get one you'll love it!

Get some Caribeena (sp?) style clips for either end so you can quickly whip it up/down, & don't put it too close to the ground cos different weights stretch the hammock differently :wink:

Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
    Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Hank Scorpio: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There.
    Homer: Mm-Hmm.
    Hank Scorpio: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
    Homer: Oh, the hammock district!
    Hank Scorpio: That's right.
  11. That has to be one of the BEST episodes of The Simpsons :grin:
  12. hehe, was thinking of that when I looked at the thread the first time, but I cbf looking for it.
  13. "Homer, if you want to kill someone on your way out, that would really help me a lot"

Sorry, you can have your thread back now! Enjoy the hammock!
  14. We bought a Mexican Hammock at a Market in NSW. Have had it for years. It comes with heavy rope to secure to beams as illustrated. You just want to tie it over all three points of the "T" that you show.

Here are some links to similar hammocks. I can't recall where we got ours from. Good luck and enjoy as they are really comfy.

Aust: http://www.mayanlegacy.com.au/

International: http://www.stylemexican.com/?gclid=CKHB1ZypnZsCFZcwpAodwV1qoA
  15. If its a reasonable size, I cant see anyone falling out of them while laying there, but falling out while trying to climb out is a very real possibility, rather a probability. They are almost impossible to get out of, let alone fall out of unintentionally.
  16. yeah, i'm actually looking at this: http://www.hammockco.com.au/index.htm right now.

not too enthused about drilling through the uprights. though, an eye bolt would certainly do the trick. i have plenty of 'biner's:)

checking out straps atm:

hmmm, i can see an entire wknd on this thing:)
  17. Just tie it anywhere on the upright with a clove hitch.

There are also big wide Mexican style hammocks that you lie crossways in.
  18. For your first hammock you would probably be wise to be looking at something under 250cc. Once you feel confident, then you could move up to something larger.
  19. Please also use the correct protective safety gear when enjoying your new hammock

20. If you're in NSW you don't really have a choice. You are restricted to hammocks up to 250cc, excluding 2 stroke models. However, if you are into vintage british hammocks, theres also a list of Learner Approved Hammocks up to 660 cc that you can also have...