Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Halp! Lamed my bike with an oil change!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bravus, Nov 18, 2010.

1. So, too skint for a service at the moment, so trying to do an oil change myself and save some money. '99 Bandit 1200.

Bought new oil, then realised I hadn't done the oil filter last time and should do it this time. Bought an oil filter.

Drained the oil. Then tried to use what someone had suggested in lieu of a 'real' oil filter 'spanner' thingy, which I don't have: a screwdriver through the guts.

Realised later that there might be an internal baskety filter thing that's not disposable that I might have destroyed, but will cross that bridge when I come to it...

In the mean time, screwdriver went through OK, but the wall of the filter is thin enough, and the fit tight enough, that it's just ripping the hole bigger rather than undoing the filter.

So now I'm at home with a non-working bike and...

I guess the first step is probably to go and buy a proper oil filter remover - should know by now about trying to do jobs without the right tools. (Trip on the bus, pick up the car from the Mrs and run around.)

Hopefully that'll at least get the old oil filter off.

Any guidance or whatev very welcome... or perhaps it can just be a cautionary tale for others.
  2. A bit of a comedy of errors there Bravus!
  3. Yep done it myself. You'll no doubt have someone come on and tell you the evils of punching a screw driver through your filter but meh to that.

Before you hop on the bus try getting a bigger screw driver (more resistance = less tearing) and making another hole, come forward on the filter near it's top where the metal is stronger and patiently apply pressure when you turn it to avoid the tearing.

If that looks like it's going to do the same thing use two drivers in an 'x' pattern and try your luck.

Filters get stuck because of the expansion and contraction during heat up and cool down cycles of the engine. I've found they come freer if the engine is heated up first before trying to remove them, but that's not an option now.

Good luck :)
  4. sorry it didnt work for you dude.
    Does you oil fiter look like this or different?

I meant stick the screwdriver through the hole and slowly get it out.
  5. Thanks, ibast, but by the time I read this I was on the bus! I figure if I'm going to do this regularly it's worth lashing out on the tool.
  6. Oh, I did warm the bike up for 5 min or so to thin the oil for the oil change, but maybe I'll actually take it out for a ride next time...
  7. Who the phuck is ibast? :LOL:

I really should get one myself. the hot oil running over your hand isn't pleasant. Have fun on the bus mate.

Pro tip, sit up the back and keep an eye out for hotties in convertibles. Or sit beside a random and play 'punch buggies' without telling them ;)
  8. Whoa, sorry Cheffie - call it a senior moment. ;-)
  9. I think I smee someone else a while back. Or someone else smee. In fact it might have been chef. (god I hope it was)

theoretically you shouldn't need a remover to get a filter off, so long as it was tightened correctly.

I find I need one on the 'tona because it sits in a recess. So a need a fingure type one. Although I light to get the nut type filters.
  10. With a spin on type filter it's unlikely to have any non-disposable bits inside so you should be OK there :grin:.

Getting the old one off, I've had the screwdriver trick fail a couple of times, leaving a mangled filter. There are ways of overcoming it. I favour a hammer and a small cold chisel to tap the remains round with, but it's and accquired art to do it without damaging any of the surroundings.

The trick is to only ever do your new filter up hand tight as instructed in the manual and on every filter box I've ever seen, and smear a bit of fresh oil on the rubber seal. Given a dry hand, a dry filter and average strength, it's perfectly possible to get the filter on tight enough to prevent leaks and to require a filter wrench to get it off next time. It won't, however, be stuck immovably.
  11. yeah i was Smee for awhile, which is ok. But if anyone calls me Toy.racer the gloves are off :LOL:
  12. OK, now it's gone from a comedy of errors to a bit of a tragedy.

Bought a ring-type filter remover at Repco. 5 min and 10 bucks that I wish I'd spent earlier to avoid spending hours and making a mess.

That removed it with a minimum of fuss, so I put oil on the o-ring of the new one, went put it on... and the threaded bit slipped straight on ever the thing it's meant to screw to - the &($# hole is too big!

Pics to follow - the difference is not huge, but it's enough.

Stuck the filter in the car, drove all the way to Brisbane Motorcycles and told them they'd given me the wrong one. They looked it up again, and the book insists I had the right one. They swapped it for another identical one in case the thread was dodgy or whatever... but when I got home it still goes nowhere near fitting.

Any ideas? Could the threaded thingy the oil filter screws onto have been changed at some point in the bike's history? Wouldn't have thought so.

Moral of the story? If I hadn't $&*#ed the old filter with a screwdriver in failing to get it off, I could put it back on and at least be able to ride while I chase a new one. So get the tool - even the low-tech one.

But I'm now stuck: no idea what filter would work as a replacement.
  13. Yep, get your mangled filter, hop back in the car (or take the bus if you want to perve on hotties), head back to the motorcycle shop and show them the mangled filter and the one you brought from them, ask them WTF?

If it turns out they screwed it up, shove mangled filter where it's going to take more than a screw driver to pry it loose, go home, fix bike, ride it like you stole it till the smile comes back.
  14. #14 Chef, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  15. A quick Google turned up this cross reference table for Bandit 1200 oil filters. What part number have the shop sold you?

Another source indicated that the 1200 Bandit has the same filter as fitted to practically every Suzuki with a spin-on since Caeser crossed the Rubicon.
  16. Oil changes... so simple... till something goes wrong...

...by the way, we want pics of the hotties. :)
  17. You meant the hot oil filters, right? ;) Here ya go:

As you can see, the old one on the left is taller than the new one.

The old one is also smaller overall diameter as well as smaller internal diameter. Looking at this now, not only wouldn't it screw in, it wouldn't seat.

FWIW this all looks clean, seat is nice, thread is good. Just a size issue.

And yes, I'm a freakin' moron. I was embarrassed by the mangledness of the old one and didn't take it with me, thereby wasting maybe an hour and half out and back. So yeah, will be making another trip. Buggrit.
  18. Haha, never thought I'd meet anyone with worse luck than my own.
    Hopefully you get the right one this time and can finish up nice and easily.

Some time in the near future I should get around to changing mine.. I've only had it for about 1,500kms but don't know when the last service was done.

Also - that old filter is nowhere near as mangled as I thought you meant, I've completely destroyed them before during removal on cars, to the point where they barely resemble a cylinder anymore. Its just a part of the process for old filters :p
  19. [​IMG]

Don't take the fail bus this time eh?
  20. +1. I've managed to basically chew the whole end off the filter where the screwdriver has torn the metal, hence having to resort to the chisel method.

Are you able to get a measurement across the diameter of the threaded pog on the engine? According to my Googling, it should be 20mm overall diameter.