Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Paulstar, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hey guys

Ive got my P's now ive been riding since July 08 but there is still one thing that is very hit or miss about my riding..hairpins!

For the life of me im terrible at them! im looking for tips on how to approach a tight hairpin, body positioning through the hair pin and things like this.

What i find myself doing is just cutting odd lines through the hairpins, touching the inside line the outside line sometimes crossing over them :roll: this is when im trying to move through them swiftly...

Is it bad to counter-lean the bike through a hairpin? it seems to be the most succesful method for me so far :LOL:
  2. possible reasons

turn too early
    turn too slowly
    don't have a consistent turn in point
    aren't looking through the corner

the quick way is to do a training course or at least read twist of the wrist 2
  3. when you enter a hairpin, enter from furtherest wheel track you can ie, if it's a r/h turn enter from the left hand wheel track, get your braking done early (i find while braking i will survey the upcoming corner in closer detail) what the road looks like, does it look like i corner i know) can you see through it, if you can these are the best to practice on as it makes it easier to spot where the road goes, either way you keep looking through the corner (searching for the apex), i find on hairpins i make a habit to really point my chin in that direction, also i noticed recently so many people are scared to throttle on early in a turn, most seem happy to decelerate/roll through, i know most books etc suggest to hold a steady throttle and once you find the apex accelerate but i just dislike that whole floating part of it, and for me i will generally enter the turn slower, then allowing me instead of holding a steady throttle, i can be slightly above that, ie gradually through the whole turn slightly be rolling on. It just seems to settles me and bike.

This is by no means correct and from what i have learnt/seen while riding with others is many different way to approach a turn and what works for one person isn't/may not work for you.

I have tired all varied approaches and following others lines and styles and probably come up with a inbetween that suits my style and pace.....
  4. If what you are describing as counter leaning is what i think it is, you are probably going a little too slow.

1. make sure you are in powerband. I dont know why noone talks about this , but i feel it is themost important thing. For your FZR, it should be approximately 8k rpm.
    you have to approach the corner IN power so that you can use the power to straighted up.

then a bike is leaned over, you can upright it by putting on power. you must not give it too much though. but being a 250, you should be fine.

You shouldnt exceed 3rd gear in twisties like the black spurs. just rev it.
    Next is lean and riding position. which is impossible to describe here

Another tip from TOTW, in racing conditions, you dont make up time from slow areas, you make up time by being faster where you can be fast.
    This is how i apply it: 1 dont try to go quicker by 1/2 sec at hairpins until you can go faster at areas where i can be fast.
  5. No it's not wrong.. but only use it in slow corners. It's not the quickest way through but if you are comfortable doing this in tight turns, it's ok.

My tips: get your braking done before the turn-in, so you can control the bike speed with throttle alone. Experience will tell you which gear. Use your legs to support you and keep a light hand on the bars. Stay on the outside line of the corner until you can see the exit of the bend (then it's safe to cut to the apex). Keep your eyes well up, as far ahead as possible.
  6. I've got the same issue. Part of it is the unknown/confidence. I find myself coming into the corner pretty slow, seeing that I could go a lot faster then look through the corner / ahead and gas it up coming out. I don't ever cross the line but sometimes run wide-ish coming out (which may be put down to laziness / lack of care). The corner I'm talking about is the one just before you get back down Mt Dandenong to Burwood Highway along the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd (if I knew how to show the spot with Google Maps, I would). Is anyone willing to follow some time and give me some pointers? Reading pointers on here helps to an extent but I've found that I do it better if someone follows, assesses what I'm doing then tells me what is a better thing to do (many thanks to Raven for doing that in the past). Alternatively, if I follow someone to see the way to do it, I can usually pick things up pretty quickly and apply it in future by myself.
  7. This is not good advice for left handers when the roads are used by wanabe boy racers who's opinion of there abilities is far greater than their actual abilities. Wide line on righty tight line on lefty until you can see that there is not some idiot on your side of the road.
  8. Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing his thread - but this is my concern too (hairpins) and also wondering what different it makes if there is the added complexity of a steep rise at the same time?
  9. How does a steep rise effect you at any other corner? For me if it's a downhill means you half to allow for extra roll when working out braking points/plus how much to brake and are a little more tricky.....uphill well you they are about as much fun as any turn heading up the hill.....
  10. I'll be getting a small cruiser and am aware of the larger turning circle and slower speed. Last thing I want is a stop half way up & round a steep hairpin!
  11. oh righto a cruiser, didn't realise they rode down roads with hairpins on them :LOL: umm still the same theory look where you want to go....you don't have the same ground clearance so off course you won't be able to lean it over as far, thats part of owning a cruiser
  12. In my mind, bike control is bike control, it is just that a hairpin will show up your lack of control more than a shallow corner.

Ride everywhere critically. Pick your turn in point, pick more points that you want to pass over, pick an exit point, and do this on "easy" corners and even with lane changes or on a straight piece of road. If you're honest with yourself, I'll bet you aren't consistent in the "easy" corners either, but your lack of control is hidden due to the forgiving nature of the corners.

Don't worry about lines and body position and whatever just yet. Slow down, and make sure the bike goes where you wanted it to go. It's a very basic first step that people skip.
  13. Well, I might agree if it is blind left hander, up to a point. If you can't see (or if there IS something approaching) then yes, err on the side of caution. But not too much. Taking a tight line IN is more likely to have you taking a wide line OUT. That's not going to make it safer.
  14. True but that is a matter of speed setting before the corner, if you think you may be too hot then you are right. You have already made a mistake by then so that line should not be your preferred one.
  15. #15 goz, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  16. #16 titus, Jun 5, 2009
    He shoulda counter-leaned! :grin:

No, really. At that speed it would have helped.
  17. does the rider realise that the thing between the head and the body is a neck and it can twist :roll: ffs when people say look where you want to go we are not talking about looking 2 foot in front and 1 to the side....it's means turn your head and follow where the roads goes
  18. mmm...well...I kinda treat hairpins a bit like a higher speed u-turn, unless I know the corner well.

The important thing to remember is that you are going to have to look WAAAAAAY over your shoulder usually to keep your eyes on where you want to be. You reeeally have to turn your head.
    That can be a bit foreign compared to the normal cornering we usually do, so be mindful of it.

As for the video link of the bloke on the TT...running that wide, was just a very poor piece of riding... :roll:

19. #19 twistngo, Jun 7, 2009
    if you are looking for better riding videos theres a british guy calls himself advanced biker that puts some of his stuff up on youtube. eg
    mainly about road positioning
  20. If there's a steep gradient involved, like the switchbacks on Macquarie Pass, or steeper still, the switchbacks on that mountain thingy near Kangaroo Valley, the wider your line the flatter the road becomes.

Stay as wide as is legal/possible/safe and the road will be quite flat. :)