Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hai there! New rider from Shepparton (2hr from Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by KadeO, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Hey guys!
    I've been parusing the forum for the past 3 weeks now and still have no idea what bike to get. I'll mostly be commuting, (Well, that's basically around town, which really isn't more than 10Km in both directions) and something to putt around on during the weekend, that's still a lot of fun. I do like the Ninja (Hey! ANOTHER one) but the sporty look is appealing to me. I'm a short arse (168cm) and heavy (100kg) But for something that I'll use around town, would a 250 suffice? Maybe the very OCCASIONAL highway jaunt to Melbourne, Bendigo, etc. (Like, two or three times a year, if that)
    Any help is appreciated. OH! A budget of around 5-7k.

I have my learners now, and looking somewhere to practice that ISN'T Melbourne, as I don't exactly feel comfortable travelling 2 1/2 hours to St Kilda to practice then ride home again :nopity: And having absolutely zero experience on the road doesn't help.

2. Welcome mate. I think there is at least one other Shep rider and a few others up north. They were organising a ride a while ago here. Perhaps resurrect that thread and see if you can catch up with other Shep riders.

If you are a big guy then a 250 may be a bit hard on the open road but fine around town. Lots of threads on beginner bikes so do some reading and see what you like. :) Don't forget to budget for gear as well.
  3. Welcome to NR. I've been to Shep once. (y)

Ride Safe.
  4. Cheers guys!

Yeah, gears in there. Once I get the tax organised I'll head down to Peter Stevens and grab some gear so I'm organised to get the bike, who knows, might even pick up a bike down there.
    Occasional highway might be alright, if it turns out to be sluggish I'll just go in the cage next time, no biggy. Lesson learnt. Just want to get a 250 or so for putting around town and I'll most likely keep it when I upgrade anyway, if money permits of course.
  5. Hi and welcome to NR.

Some 250s can be a little buzzy on the highway but pleanty of people have racked up big highway miles on them.
  6. Welcome to NR, you have a pretty good M/C shop in Shepparton, AJ's in Purcell Street. I know a few people from Melbourne who have purchased bikes from them.
  7. Indeed. I should really use my connections to get a good bike from them, but have forgotten about it until now. Thanks for the reminder!

I did go in there a few weeks back and had a brief look, but due to having to go to work, I left without really checking out what they have other than gear. I might go in Thursday I think.
  8. Welcome to the Netrider Forum!

Ride safe!
  9. Welcome to NR :)
  10. Cheers guys!
  11. Welcome to NR..
    Very happy with AJ's.. would be my chosen local shop if i didnt live in melbourne. :)

These guys really bend over backwards for people. or so ive seen so far.
  12. #12 KadeO, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I'll go and have a look tomorrow and see. Did go in there not too long ago, but didn't have a lot of time to ask questions. Have heard only good things from them, but have heard they only have Hyo's for road bikes?

13. Welcome to the nut house. Good luck with he practice.