Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Haggismaen and (blanks)'s First Bigish Ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Haggismaen, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Another beautiful day in Sydney! So in order to make the most of it I decided to go for my first longer ride (apart from riding 'round the neighbourhood and heading over to Kensington to a mate's place). So I packed the digi-cam (on the off chance I could take some scenic pictures...not really happening at Botany Bay, but meh) and took Haggis' advice and headed to Kurnell.

Went through Tempe onto the highway, then followed that onto Rocky Point road, flowing into Taren Point road then into Captain Cook Drive all the way round to the point closest to the Bay. Returned the same way except I went through the Sevenways at Rockdale and made my way home through Bexley and Earlwood.

First time on a road as busy as the highway/Rocky Point road even though traffic wasn't that heavy. But it all went smoothly, though the feel of the wind going across the bridge at Sans Souci was to be reckoned with. I've only been out 5 times on the bike but I can feel the confidence building (the good confidence, not the bad 'I can handle anything' confidence) each time.

Plus I have been setting myself objectives each time I have gone out (e.g. first real time out was practicing starts, continually using mirrors and braking. Second time out was working on proper downshifting so the revs actually match the gear I'm shifting down into etc). Today was ensuring that headchecks are become as natural as breathing and I thought the best place to learn this was on the highway in a multi-lane situation, it worked out really well. One thing I know I need to work on is trusting the bike and my judgement when it comes to cornering, I can feel myself not letting the bike lean as far as it needs to around a corner. However this may well be a good thing since it forces my newbie self to take the corners slower.

But I'm absolutely loving every single moment of it. Loving the VTR, though as you can see by the title I still haven't named her yet. Thinking of going with Sheila (for any RedvsBlue fans out there) but we will see :).

Anyhow, here are a couple of snaps. Note the 'word from our sponsor' placement of the RM Gear jacket :p.

Pic 1

Pic 2

2. Sounds like you had a great solo ride there mate.

I like the pics too, but just a tip, try and get something in the foreground to 'frame' the bike, like a tree or something.

Good stuff, soon you've got to come on one of Dante's or Damov's country trips, like the Kangaroo Valley/Nowra effort today!
  3. i wish i went out today on that ride damov, but damnit if i keep being rude to my customers by not replying i wont be able to ride at all LOL. catch 22.

Glad you got out and about Haggismaen, and by the sounds of things your doing the right thing by taking it in stages etc..
  4. Thanks for the tip, though it was fairly bare where the bike was. I plan to take the camera with me on every significant ride so any tips for taking better snaps are appreciated.

I was actually thinking about going down to Nowra today to see the girlfriend but decided against it (wouldve only been for one night, not really worth it). I'll be riding down to the Gong next Thursday anyhow, then from there to Canberra via the Albion Park route.
  5. Congrats on the first big ride ,it's sooooo much of a confidence booster to get it over and done with ,from there on it just gets better and better after each ride.
    See you at coffee night .

Cheers Sled.
  6. Well done. And it all gets even better from here as your confidence grows.

Out of interest...when did you buy your bike and from where? And, does it have a couple of a scratches in the right top of the fuel tank?

Looks a bit like my previous bike that I traded in in August. Looks like a staintune pipe on yours. That and the scracthes are the main identify features.