Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Had an accident at Stanwell Park four hours ago

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ericgao, Apr 27, 2006.

1. My mood was high this afternoon cause I knew my mid exam marks of all subjects were HD. Tried Royal National Park back to wollongong from UNSW. There were few cars on the road and sky was clearing up. Handling Curves, Great Fun! Feel invincible. When I came down from Stanwell Park, I felt it was a little bit too fast. So I braked but pressed too much on the rear brake. The rear tyre was locked and it was moving faster than my front end. The bike started skidding. Worst of all, I had no time to adjust because I was coming down the hill and the curve was quite tight. I lost control of my bike and the bike hit the road fence. I was blacked out for a few seconds. When my conscious struck back, I found I was sliding on the road. Fortunately not at the bottom of the valley and no cars behind me. All this probably happened in the tenth of a second. Thanks to my leather gear, I did not find any obvious injury. Two passing by old bies stopped and helped me to lift up my bike and calmed me down. Lost of scratches and crack on the fairing but the bike is running ok. My hand is still shaking.
    Anyone knows where to find the faring for my bike ?

2. My sympathies. I think I know where you mean as well, that hill can get away on you a bit.

Good thing that it wasn't busy on the road and that there were some considerate people around to help you out.

Hope you get back on the road soon with confidence undiminished.
  3. You MUST go to emergency and get yourself checked, especially as you blacked out, albeit for a moment.

Sorry to hear about the accident mate, I hope you and the bike are well real soon.....
  4. What Hornet said, get to a doctor. Glad you are mostly ok though. Take it easy :)
  5. Really thank two considerate old bikers who gave me a hand when I mostly needed. One was riding a Harley, another on a classic black triumph. A young girl riding a Honda CBR 250 was with them and she is also on Ls.
    Hornet, no worries. It is not exactly a black out. I did not find any obvious marks on my helmet so I guess my head did not hit the ground. I just lost memory for those precious seconds. I can not remember how I hit the road fence, fell off the bike and hit the ground. It is possible my mind consciously depressed this bit of memory so that I would not be traumatized.
  6. sorry to hear that mate.. I still have confidence problems since my crash last december In Melbourne.. I was hit at an intersection side on as I travelled at 70kph and I hit a wall and busted ribs and my shoulder.. .I jus took the plunge 4 weeks ago and bought another bike after my last one was written off,. I am so cautious after it.. yeah ..get checked out.. I was in hospital for only 3 hrs ..but its better to know if you are ok or not..
  7. Commiserations on your crash - it must have taken the shine out of an otherwise wonderful day. Congratulations on your marks. I will add my voice to everyone else's Please go to a Doctor and get checked out.
  8. When I start to feel cocky on the bike, I say something like "you friggin idiot, you have only been doing this a few months, settle back down and ride within your abilities".
    I find it works really well. If it looks too fast and I feel unsure, I slow down. I don't want to fork out for damage!
    As Hornet said, you should go to a hospital, momentary loss of consciousnes is cause for concern.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Unlucky mate good to hear that your ok but like everyone else has said I would go and get yourself checked out cause even if you have no marks on your lid it sounds like you head still got jarred in someway mate better to be safe than sorry especially with a brain like yours with those marks :)
  10. Sorry to hear about your accident ericgao, but really glad you're mostly ok... I agree that you should still get yourself checked out even you're feeling fine now
  11. Eric...I'm glad you're ok mate...don't bother about replacing the fairing until a few more months have gone by, I told you fairings and L plates are not a good idea.
    I'll Streetfighter it the same as Lin's for the time being if you want. You can replace the fairing at a later date.

This just goes to prove what I have said so many times...the RNP is, quite literally, a killer.
    It is not a place for racing thru or even riding fast unless you are completly confident in your ability to regain control if something goes wrong. It also helps if you ride it so often that you know every angle of curvature and every bump in the road.

Give me an email or a PM if you want me to sort the ZZR mate.
    Gee...first it's oil changes then it's rebuilds?
  12. Sorry to hear that mate. At least you are OK and that really is the main thing. While you might be able to buy new bodywork, you can't buy parts for busted human bodies.
  13. Sorry to hear about your off.

I came off my bike about three weeks ago now, and had a similar thing happen to me...I cannot, for the life of me, remember what happened after a certain point to when I was sliding along the ground. Unlike you I did scrape my helmet and was a little worse for wear when I came off, so was taken to hospital by ambulance to get checked out.

If you are certain that you didn't hit your head and you don't have any other aches/pains I wouldn't worry about going to the hospital. You might be sore for a little while though, and bruising might not even come up for a few days (I'm still bruised!).

However, if you DID at any stage hit your head I would definately recommend getting yourself checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Glad to hear you came out of it pretty well thanks to those leathers :)

Sorry to hear about your bike being scraped.
  14. Definatly get checked out if you smacked your head like everyone has said.
    Dont want a blood clot or something.

Sorry to hear it. was it the left or righthander at the bottom?

Always be carefull there, particualy the righhander at the very bottom, theres always gravel, rocks and sticks all over it. That hill claims a car or two a week, always one within an hour of rain. Thankfully not many bikes.

Streetfighter the bike for now and dont worry about the farings for a while.
    If you left any bits behind Im just around the corner and can grab them.
  15. I was thinking, again and again, about what I have done wrong in that corner but have not figure it out. I braked and handled the curve the same way I did for other curves in RNP. Though I was riding downhill, the speed was not exceeding 60 ( if my memory served my right). I do not know whether It had a shower before 4 o’ clock but the sky was so ocean blue at that time. What is the best riding techniques to get out of this situation? I realized again that over confidence is one of my weaknesses.
  16. Perhaps 60 kph down the hill at Stanwell on your L plates?
    All the curves are marked as 45kph, I think the last one at the bottom is marked 35kph?

I think that may have been the problem right there Eric.

Rear wheel brake lock-up and drifting/sliding:

Release the rear brake, point the bars in the direction you want to go, accelerate some.
    Straightens the bike up, but only if you have enough room to manouvre.

Other option is to put left foot down and slide to a stop. Easy to say, often hard to do.
    Always try to force the bars (therefore the front wheel) in the direction of travel you wish to take.
    This is when counter steering techniques really come in useful.

It's why it would be better if more L plate riders learned to ride on trail bikes in the dirt, rear wheel slides happen often off road, one learns what to do in a safer enviroment and it becomes instinctive to do it in an emergency. The same with many other off road riding techniques.

I will say that the road from the top to the bottom at Stanwell is overshadowed by trees, gets little sunlight most of the day and there would have been lots of moisture in the air as the sun started to set.
    That road is slippery early in the AM, I am guessing it was slippery when you went down it also.

A note for all: The section past the Waterfall turnoff, heading south in the early morning...look closely and you will see the road surface is coated with a thin layer of green moss/slime. It is extremely slippery. I have seen guys sliding all over the road there, even on a straight section.

Eric mate: At the end of the day, despite all one tries (or has time) to do, it's often just down to luck, as you yourself discovered.

The more careful you are as a new rider the less likely it is that you will need to rely on luck.
    Luck is a fickle mistress, it's best not to take a chance on her whims!

And here is some advice for a couple of blokes who rode with me down to Headlands Hotel.

You DO NOT need to stick your knees out when you go around corners.
    None of you were going fast enough or low enough to need to do that.
    All that's going to happen is, if you come off the bike for one reason or another, you're just going to lose a kneecap when it smashes into the tarmac and gets scraped off as you slide along the ground.
    Especially as you did not have knee sliders on anyway.
    Now as I understand it the reason GP racers slide their knees is because they are trying to keep the bike as upright as possible, they are actually hanging off the bike, the bike is leaning over, but not as much as it would be if they were sitting on it.
    They try to keep the bike as straight as possible to keep as much rubber (tire) on the track as they can.
    Doing 55kph an hour around a 45kph corner does not need a knee out riding postion.
    And going around a tight corner with your knee hanging on the wrong side of a double yellow line is not a technique to be recommended either!
  17. Sorry to hear about your off mate, but please head to the hospital or a doctor ASAP. You need to get checked out after a fall like that... there's some serious stuff can sneak up on you in terms of brain injuries, even if you didn't smack your noggin on the turf.
  18. Yeah mate i hope you are ok ! i have flown paragliders up there for years and know the road well, as Jaqhama said there is a lot of moss and shit on the road down around the bottom of stanwell park and have seen even a few cars come unstuck on the bottom bend ! and mate get a doc to check you out :grin:
  19. sorry to hear about this fall mate. check wreckers for fairings, or maybe ebay or just take the lot off.
  20. Sort of a mix of over and under confidence.

Overconfident in that you were heading into unknown corners above the advisory speed when not very familiar with the bike yet.

Underconfident in your bike, it would have taken the corner if you had leant it it.
    The important thing on bikes is once your comited to a speed into a corner you cant slow down. So always enter corners at a speed you know will get you through. If your not sure what lays around the bend then the advisory sign is a good speed to go with.

Inexperience is what got you, locking the rear brake.
    Everyone makes mistakes along the learning curve, unfortunatly yours led to an accident, though a very minor one.

Hope your back on the road soon :)