Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

had a strange one off gear lever issue.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by waymoz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. was riding to peter stevens in dandenong today, when all of a sudden the gear level feels really loose. when ur in first gear the lever feels pretty solid but it was going lower then it normally would. riding as normal then when i pulled up at the red light i thought i was in first but when i rev'd it and let out the clutch slowly it just lurched a few cm and stalled. pushed it up onto the grass in the middle and tried everything. the gear lever was not engaging, nor was i getting the click of it engaging in first, neutral or second. neutral light didn't even flash on at all when i moved the pedal/lever up slowly (usually the neutral light flashes on as i pass it from 1st to 2nd gear). So i pushed it all the way to peter stevens, about 500 metres with the clutch IN because it wouldn't roll, which indicates it was in a gear? Then another biker said to roll it back and forth from lock to lock in gear and as soon as i rolled it backwards til it stopped (2-5cm). i was able to find first gear and neutral again like normal. extremely WEIRD situation that gave me a bit of a fright.

bike: honda cbr250rr 1991 import.
    km: about 45,000
    weather: 25-28 warm - hot weather

any ideas guys? new to riding so completely took me by surprise. :shock:
  2. mmm, it's not the lever, it's the selectors inside, I fear....
  3. So what did peter stevens say?
  4. oh i was already heading to peter stevens to check out some jackets. i didn't ask about my bike coz i feared they'd charge me an arm and a leg.

yeah the gear level seemed fine everything was as it should be from what i could see. but it was actually inside the unit that felt strange. so would that mean it's due in for the mechanics? its riding fine now tho.

oh and thanks for the swift replies. :)
  5. Well I DO think you're going to have to get SOMEONE to have a look at it; it hasn't fixed itself, it's just stopped doing what was wrong, waiting for the next inconvenient time to do it again.....
  6. okay. i think i'll ask the previous owner and his mechanic about it and if he can have a look. thanks for the advice hornet600. :D
  7. Sounds like worn selector drum and or its detent mechanism.