Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Had a minor accident and not sure who is at fault

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by smileedude, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was stopped at lights behind a ute, a truck was beside me with a large gap in front of him. There was a gap i could fit through quite easily between the front of the truck and back of the ute. The traffic lights were red and were not gonna change for atleast 30 secs. I decided to go through the gap to get to the front of the queue. The truck had been stopped for a little while. As i went the truck accelerated quite quickly and his wheel arch hit my bike and did some reasonable damage to me (hopefully not too pricey) and bent his wheel arch. The driver made it clear that he thought it was entirely my fault. There was clearly some old damage on his arch already as there was paint missing with rust underneath and I'm guessing hell probably get alot more fixed then what was caused in the collision. Am I compleatly liable for this situation?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. How does a truck accelerate quickly when:

(a) the lights are still red, &
    (b) the utility has not yet moved forward?

BTW, depending on what bike you got, reasonable damage is expensive to
    replace or repair.

FWIW, my educated guess is YES.

If I was the driver, you'd be paying for my damage. Trust me on that :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.