Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

H4 LED headlight replacement query

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by poppybill, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Hi all, I am about to install a pair of 55 watt running lights on my xvs650 which is going to tax the power supply which I have read is just enough to charge the battery along with the standard lights, carb heaters. I would like to know if anyone has changed their halogen headlight for a LED headlight as they use far less power. if so which one and what did you think of it. There are so many on the market with huge price differences. I am looking to save a bit of power by changing to LED.

2. I replaced my H4 headlight with an Ebay LED job a few months ago. Bike is two years old with over 30k on it. Recently left it sitting in the car park for over a month and it started first time, so battery must be in better health than I am. I think my LED was about $40 from China. I like the white light from it & no probs with it so far.
  3. There's a few threads on this already.
    Do a search for LED headlights in the 'What's been done to your bike today' thread and you'll see a few, with all the details.
    IMO I'd make them all LED. Are the running lights 55W each, or the pair ?
    If they are 55W each it would be like running 3 headlights.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. If it were me, I'd be making sure the daytime running lights were LED, that way they'll add little load to the electrical system.
    Then after that I'd investigate the LED headlight replacement.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I also replaced the two little T10 parking bulbs with LEDs at same time as the headlight bulb