Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gyroscopic onboard camera

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by lui, Oct 16, 2010.

1. I was watching MotoGP just now and notice something really cool (it must have been like that for some time), the onboard camera doesn't lean with the bike as if the camera wasn't mounted on the bike.

A quick Google search revealed that they are using gyroscopic onboard cameras, it's not rocket science and I wonder what took them so long to come up with something like that. It's a big improvement to the viewing experience nonetheless.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/New+Gyroscopic+OnBoard+Camera+at+Sachsenring

2. Actually, it is rocket science:

"In 1907 German inventor Alfred Maul began placing gyroscopically stabilized Rolliflex cameras in rockets. By 1912 his system was able to propel a 41 kg payload to altitudes of 2600 feet to make aerial oblique images."

J. David Rogers & Ronaldo Luna, 2004​

3. Yeah, they did mention while they were in that view that it was a gyroscopic camera :) Think it was even written on the bottom lol could be wrong bout that and making it up though :p

4. On Rossi's bike it looked pretty cool. I still dont know who decided that the audience really wants to see the riders bum..who thought of putting a camera there? There is never enough on board vision in the Moto GP.

5. Fans stole the camera off valentinos bike when he ran put of fuel a few races ago

6. Excellent. :D

7. actually been trying to see some of the motogp vids with the camera going, until today I had been unsuccessfull in doing so.
    Watched the stoner win news vid on the australian newspaper website and they had rossi overtaking for 3rd.... Couldn't believe how far over he got!!! It looked like he was a cm for lowsiding.