Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gypsy Riders

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by hotoracle, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I've just completed my Learners permit in Melb. I did my training on a Bolwell Gypsy, easy to ride and lots of fun.

I have an oportuninty to buy one used, I would apreciate feedback from any owners.

2. From the training centre?
  3. i think that was the bike the gypsy jokers bike gang started out on .... only in matt black with the optional extra shotgun holders
  4. Hi hotoracle

I bought my Gypsy as an ex-demo from Show and Go here in Adelaide. It was one of a few dozen that were used at the Melbourne F1 GP from a year or so before. I paid $2600 for it, with an open face helmet and 3 months rego thrown in.

I've been riding it since about March, but I really only commute on it so I've only done a couple of thousand K's. All I've done is top up the oil, and being the slack idiot I am I still haven't had the first service done so there's probably a heap of swarf and crud swirling around in its little diffy thing. :-(

I'd add that I weight over 120Kg and it easily does 70K's, 80 coming off the Hilton Bridge!
  5. rob, even with your larger weight, its still quicker than my vmoto!

i get about 70km down the bridge :p

mine goes in for a service in another 500km.

Bolwell seems a reasonably reliable brand. havnt heard too many bad things of them yet.
  6. The bike is an ex training bike, only ever gone around in circles 4,000 K and is three years old.

I was wondering if this went in it's favour or not !

7. yeah they are quite good scooters. Not a bad purchase. You may want to hop on the next closest thing which is the Bowell Red Devil. See which you like better. I rather the look of the Gypsie though.
  8. Hi Anthony

The Red Devil is by Sym, the Gypsy by PGO, both marketted in Oz by Bolwel. I tried both before I decided on the Gypsy. The Red Devil was a bit slower off the mark than the Gypsy but otherwise equally as good as far as I could tell... not hat I know much about scooters! It came down to what was available so I bought the Gypsy.
  9. Rob,

What is the Gypsy like on a flat road, a dealer here in Melb who has a used jolie on the floor was trying to talk down the gypsy.

He was saying the best that I could expect from the gypsy was 50 -55 on the road as the engine has been restricted.

I expect that he would rather sell me his used jolie !!

10. On a flat road if you just let it get up to speed you'll be at 70k's in no time. Taking off from the lights it accelerates as fast as a 4cyl car. I'm more mindful of going too fast than going too slow.
  11. Sounds just fine for my commute from Port Melb to the CBD. If I ever want to go near a freeway I can jump in my Camry.

How is the underseat storage?, I was going to by an open face helment with a visor. has it got enough room.

12. Plenty of room for an open face, not quite enough for a full face. I added a top box when I got my full face... There's a little plastic "curry hook" just above the oil filler cover... too low to be useful. I drilled a hole in the little bucket thing next to the key and added a hook of my own to carry shopping in.
  13. Any 50cc scooter should legally be restricted to no more than 60km/hr. That is part of the license concessions that allow you to ride it without a motorbike license. Any scoots that do more have been de-restricted and most de-restricted scoots will do 70km/hr or so.
  14. and here I was thinking the thread would be about the long term tour... a gypsy ride :(
  15. A woman did a round Australia trip on hers without any hassle. If one can do that I'd say they were a fairly good bike.
  16. Yeah...her name is Wyn Woods...rode around Oz back in 2002 on a Gypsy.
    Her story is still available for a good read on the Bolwell site and also Show and Go motorcycles site. Gutsy lady.