Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gumtree Scam

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Plunderer, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the best spot for this. If not feel free to move it. I have a bike for sale on Gumtree and just got the following email. Apologies if you have all heard about it before, but it was a new one for me until I googled it so thought I would share for awareness:

"Thanks for getting back,i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my Westpac bank account,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply"

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. " contacted you with internet messaging facility"

yeah no australian working offshore speaks like that! lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scam mate
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. String him along, sometimes you get some hilarious reactions when they figure it out.
  5. Yep, pretty much word for word same as a few I have received. Always on a ship or oil rig.

The biggest giveaway is the "happy with stated price and condition". an added variation is "I am buying it for my father..."

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yup well known type of scam. You'll even see some bike/car adverts mention something along the lines of "no oilfield workers/overseas on business/insert unlikely situation" buyers need apply. I do when I stick add on Gumtree...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Same as chillibutton, scam became so pronounced a few years back I would put that in my ads too.

A bit surprised it's still persisting...
  8. Oops it may be a bit late for that. Sort of got a bit pissed off:
    "My reply is that I know this is a scam. Your email and your method have now been reported to Scamwatch. People like you disgust me as you prey on the weak minded and the elderley as you are too gutless to actually work for your income yourself. You rely on their willingness to believe you are actually a decent person so you can take advantage of them, hiding behind your computer to perform immoral criminal acts. You are the lowest form of scum and you will be found."
    Haven't heard anything back yet....
  9. It must mean it still works.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Whilst not a gumtree scam I came home tonite find a message from the Australian Tax Office on my machine. :)

A Mr Jason O'Connor ( insert heavy Irish accent ) was calling me to advise that I needed to call the ATO in regards to my tax evasion case. :eek:

Mr O'Connor requested that I or my legal representative call him at the ATO's Tax evasion department to discuss my case.:p

He further advised not to avoid this as it was a very serious matter.

I intend to have some fun with Mr O'Connor if anyone else would like to or are worried about their tax evasion case give him a call I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Mr O"Connor ATO :D 02 5601 9092

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. I played on with one these pricks years ago. Told him I had transferred the $ through western union and made up a mtcn . He had to go down to the post office to get the $. He replied abit later saying the number was not valid. I said oh sorry that 0 was actually an 8. He goes back a second time and then emails me again. Classic. I told him I hoped he enjoyed the walk u piece of shit. He went off his head. So funny
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. #12 oldcorollas, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Prankdial wakerupper bored.com etc?
    Must be an old fashioned autodialer version of DOS out there
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. This is one of the reasons we have no landline at home, we used to get spammed with this stuff all the time, to the point we'd get calls at 3am...
  14. Seen this quite a bit, they normally pay you more than you are asking then ask you to send them back the difference (it was an honest mistake). They then dispute the payment , get it reversed from your account plus the extra you sent them back..
  15. Yep had the exact same thing, except it was an indian sounding guy who left EXACTLY the same voice message on the answering machine now THREE TIMES. Yeahhhhh, rrrrrrright.

Same Sydney number.

F'ck off scammer.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Its nice to know the ATO's tax evasion department is an equal opportunity employer :whistle::whistle:
    • Like Like x 1