Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Guide to maintaining 2 strokers?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by outtalive, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Like many of you on this forum I find myself pondering what my upgrade options will be. And whilst a gutsier 4 stroke seems the likely choice I still wonder about two strokers as a choice too.

A mate of mine started out with an RGV almost 4 years ago now and surprisingly he still has the same bike, I guess 'cos there's still plenty of speed there to get him into trouble.

So if someone like myself was to take the plunge and become a long-term 2 stroke rider what tips could you guys give in terms of regular maintenance. As I've never tinkered with a stroker all this talk of oil levels and piston rings is more or less meaningless until I understand how it factors in to a regular maintenance routine.

2. 2 strokes are easy to maintain. Put in oil and fuel off you go. Give it an oil change once in a blue moon(gear box oil). Rebuilds will probably run at 30000-50000k's apart depending on your riding style. A rebuild will run probably somewhere around $1000. If you learn how to do them yourself(pretty easy once you've figured it out), parts will set you back around $400-450 each time (thats 2Xpistons, 2Xrings, 2Xsmall ends, 2Xgudgeon pins). All you need then is to give it a light hone and your set. Every few rebuilds you'll need to have your bore re-sleaved. There are a few places that do exchange barrels for around $120 a piece. 2 strokes rock. SOOOOOO much fun to ride, go pretty quick and arent as much of a horror as what many people say. They can seize up for no apparent reason, however this is pretty rare.

3. Although rare the consequences can be tragic.

4. I gotta nsr 2fiddy stroker and it dies if its not revved HARD and OFTEN. Since it is one of two track bikes it is a high maintenance machine.. But what a buzz, I'm just as fast around the Island on it as i am on the gixxer! And the nsr has a top speed of only 200ish Ks

5. Hmmmm....that would be even more rare. When a road going 2 stroke nips up it generally doesnt lock the back wheel. What will happen is the power will drop off suddenly then the engine will die and you will start slowing down. Once your going a bit slower the back wheel may start to skid. If by this time you havent pulled in the clutch and rolled to a stop on the side of the road then your stupid and shouldnt be on a bike full stop. Ive had 2 strokes seize a few times and not once has it instantly locked the back wheel. The other thing is when riding a 2 stroke I always have my hand hovering over the clutch just in case. In fact I do it on the blade too :D

6. A few tips for keeping a 2-stroke alive and well:

1) Always use a high quality 2 stroke oil (fully synthetic)
    2) Give it a compression test when you first get it, fit new rings/overbore if required
    3) Get the bore plated (more power, less wear, more reliable)
    4) Always warm it up a bit before you ride it (and therefore thrash it)
    5) Check your power-valves regularly as they can soot-up and stick.
    6) Don't tune it (apart from fitting some nice arrow pipes of course).

I've had loads of 2-strokes, the RGV can be very reliable if you follow these tips.

And a tuned 2-stroke will die without warning AND lock-up the back wheel when the ring breaks and sticks in the exhaust-port, I'm speaking from personal experience here :LOL:

7. Thanks for the advice guys, speaking of RGVs this mate of mine may be selling his in a while so I mite make him an offer.

Given that it had just been rebuilt before he bought it and he's put on about 12000ks would it still be good for another 18000 before it's next rebuild?

8. Untill yesterday i had a 2-stroke, a cagiva mito 125, when at 100km/h the motor seized instantly and locked up the back wheel. I came off before i knew what happened. My bike only had 10560 km on the clock when it happened, so I think that maybe it should be checked more than every 30,000