Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GT650R hyosung

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jcahir, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Hi all
    I am currently on my L's and riding a GT250R have had no dramas with the bike it goes well and rides fine ( well as fine as a 250 can ) since i like the 250 am thinking about upgrading to the 650 version when a get off restrictions.
    So am looking for some opinions from people about the GT650R, don't bother posting if you have never ridden one or owned one and just want to bag it out, i want to hear from real people who have owned one or at least ridden one.
    I know what the 650 is i'm not looking for a full blown super sport bike just something sporty but can still do some commuting on and still has a bit of get up and go for when i take off for weekend rides and price is a factor aswell.

Cheers

2. New or second hand???

3. would like to know about both, carb and the new EFi model

4. A lot of people on this forum will tell you to shy away from earlier (and later) Hyosungs because of reliability problems.
    Hyosung have supposedly fixed most of the problems with later bikes, the problem being, you would never know as they never tell you what they have or haven't done via their website or new releases etc.

Quite a few niggles have been due to poor pre-delivery from the dealer (things rattling loose or falling off etc), so my advise would be to get a late a model as possible, preferably new, and make sure the dealer gives it a thorough check over before delivery.

People on this forum will also point you in the direction of Suzuki's SV650 range. A Suzuki SV650S with ABS is a nice bit of kit for the money.

5. The SV650 is a nice bike and I would buy one over the Hyosung and that is coming from someone who also had a good comet 250. Resale on Hyosung is pretty bad.

6. Never owned or ridden a Hyo

however was close to buying one as I liked the look of them alot

7. Bought my GT650R about two months ago (learner rider) and had quite a few issues with it to start (Clutch cable installed incorrectly, clutch adjuster installed wrong and then busted, throttle sensor basically died) but as funny as it sounds I don't regret it. My bike is now in perfect working condition and is an absolute dream to ride.

The handling is great and it has enough kick in it to have some fun with. Breaks are powerful and the reverse fork suspension is nice and comfy. It even sounds pretty decent before you throw on a custom exhaust. I wouldn't go past one - just have to get through some minor issues at the start.

Really though - you need to ask yourself will you ever think "Damn, I wish I had something a bit bigger just for the sake of it?". That's exactly what I'd think, too bad I won't need to when I upgrade to a fireblade =D

8. thx for all the info guys good to get some feedback from people who have owened one and not just ridden one around the block and decided it's crap.

9. I purchased my Hyosung gt650r 2008 in January last year and i also had the Hyosung gt250r 2005 model.

With the Hyosung gt250r i did have a few problems with the clutch cable snapping after 9000kms. Chain and sprokets had to be replaced after 10,000kms The back brake locked onto the disk and had to wait 5 weeks to get it replaced under warrantee. Did 16,000kms on it and traded it in for the 650 version i got $3500 for the trade in.

With the Hyosung gt650r i have had it for 15 months now and have done close to 15,500kms. So far i have had no problem at all i changed the clutch cable at 10,000kms due to my previous experience where the clutch cable on the 250 left me stranded away from home but guy at shop said it still had plenty of life. The chain only has need minor adjustments at services but still has plenty of life in it.

So for me personally i would recommend the Hyosung gt650r on the basis that for me i find it a fun bike to ride and easy to ride. Based on my experience with the 2008 model the reliablity has gotten alot better. And so far mine is going nice and smooth with no problems.

Hopefully this helps if you have any other questions just send me a PM if you would like any more info

10. so you took a bet, where the greatest possible return was 1:1 and the chance of making that return was ... iffy at best. And because you won that one, you want to play again.

just doesnt make sense to me, mate. I've owned a gt250r until very recently, and while no major problems, minor problems unchecked turned into major issues. Essentially what I'm saying is that you're gambling on getting a decent one. they are around, but you don't know where. of the new 650r's i have heard a lot more bad than good, particularly when they are straight out of the shop.

11. To add to my first post i am also looking at the SV650S and the GSX 600
    Now my questin is can you get side farings for the SV and how hard are they to get and cost( yes im a slave to a good looking bike ) the Sv is up there in my list.

12. Yes you can get lowers for the SV, not sure if Suzuki stock them here though...

13. That statement is pretty true, although I suspect you were talking about brakes. In this case the statement is really a case of you only know what you've tried. The brakes on the Hyosungs are bloody woeful and no pad changing or braided lines will fix the issue, that being the calipers themselves flex.

14. SV lowers were available for the thou in limited numbers. You may be able to find some locally but you'll then need to find a belly pan as well & repaint them.

Overseas is really the only place to find decent panels for them but shipping costs are pretty exxy.

15. i seriously think they need to change the name hyosung to something better that rolls off the tongue, like yamaha, honda, hyosung just sounds shit

16. thats why people just call them hyo's

17. They have in Korea the companies actually called S & T Motors.

18. I have ridden both carbed and EFi GT650R's, LAMS and full power, carbed SV650's and stacks of other bikes.

If you're looking for something to ride when you get past your restricted licence, then consider a few things.

1. Quality, Hyo's are ok, but the Jap bikes are much better.

2. Power. The Hyo and SV650 are much the same and though it makes power differently being a four rather than a twin, so is the GSX600. Both twins have more punch off the mark.

3. The ride, any SV650 has better suspension and chassis than any Hyo, as do all the alloy framed jap bikes. This means they have better bump absorbtion and handle our roads better. And that's the budget end of Jap bikes, they only get better from there up. The EFI GT650's have the best brakes of the lot, every thing else is merely adequate.

4. Yourself. If you are thinking of a mid size step-up bike, there are other options. You could buy the bigger bike you really want and only twist the throttle halfway. Remember that a bike only goes as fast as you tell it to.

Lastly, resale. All three of the bikes you mention are available in LAMS or full power versions, but the carbed Hyo is the easiest to swap from LAMS power to full power and back again (max 300 bucks each way, the japs need a new ecu and cost thousands to convert). Therefore a LAMS registered carbied GT650R can be made full power for your fun (but dont tell the Authorities or they will reclassify it, which is very hard to undo), and still be sold later at the inflated learner legal prices.

What I would do is get the bigger Hyo now and power up when you get your full licence, then power down to sell again.

19. I would love to jump onto a 1000+ bike but the reason i'm sticking to the 650 range is that my bike gets a lot of use i.e weekend rides and some daily riding to work, that's why a want to stick around the mid range for now fuel consuption and serviceing prices would kill me on a larger bike.
    Pls if you have anymore bikes i should consider let me know by all means ( no crusiers i like sports/tourers)

20. Dude, keep the 250 and buy an older superbike. Something like a ZX-9 (fat, powerful, comfotable riding position) or GSX750 (handling like a 600 but much more power and torque). You get the picture. Anyway, if you're looking for economy then some of the best out there at the moment are the BMW single-cylinder 650's, postie bikes, and possible also your very own Hyosung 250.

Anyway, you can slash servicing costs by doing some things yourself. Tensioning a chain is very easy, 10 minutes max on my old Aprilia. Oil change? Simple. Same for air and oil filters, plus spark plugs. Radiator coolant changes aren't out of anyones league either.

That way, you can do what needs doing and will start to know when things need doing, too. For major stuff like valve clearances you can still take it to the shop and tell them that you only want the valves done.

Cheers - boingk