Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GT250R Flatspot

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by harrier, May 8, 2006.

1. I saw a forum topic a couple of months ago about the flat spot at around 5000-6000rpm on the Hyosung GT250. It suggested cutting a particular coloured wire in the CDI. I can't seem to fing the posting. Was it on this site or another? Can anyone help?

I am not very mechanical but I reckon I can cut a wire. The problem is that I don't know where the CDI is on the bike. Can anyone help with that one?

2. I just go the dealer to do it at first service. I think the wire is gery but it does differ on different years/runs etc.
  3. I think there is a specific forum for these bikes...

and from memory it is that... whire there... no not that one this one...
  4. Sounds about right.
    From memory the flat spot is from 0rpm upto 14000rpm
    And can be fixed by cutting all the wires.
  5. I hope I don't get into trouble for listing another forums but the post is found Here

Does anyone know if this flatspot affects the GT650's?
  6. I don't think so, because they added more cc's to fix the problem.
    But you own one, open it up and find out for yourself.
  7. I own one yes, but I don't get to pick it up untill Sunday week :(
    I will certainly give it a test then :grin:
  8. Yes, the flatspot affects GT650n/S/R as well. :cry:

From what I hear, the flatspot issue was accidentally introduced when Hyosung tried to pass strict European emission tests. A simple solution is disconnecting a CDI wire for the 250 models...not sure about 650's.

Since you're getting a 650, don't worry too much about it. If you can't live with the flatspot, call Hyosung Australia and ask them what can be done about it.
  9. Just speak to your dealer and have them fix it for free. Easy done.
  10. Hey guys,

The flat spot is there to pass Emiss standards, If you want to remove it you need to pluck a wire on the CDI. I have a 2007 model and the wire was on the brown plug, green/blue wire. Just pluck it and no more flat spot.

I can confirm this works, my bike is much better now. :D
  11. Oh and from what I've heard the flat spot is also there on the 650.

Hyo got lazy when passing Emiss standards, when tested for sound and Emmissions they generally sustain the engine at 50% of redline... hence the flat spot.

However i dont know of a quick fix for the 650.

Easiest bet is to call their australian agents and they'll explain the issue and what wires need to be removed if any.
  12. I don't rememberer hearing of the flat spot on the 650, unless you mean the sudden loss of power after the engine blows up.
  13. rofl
  14. Can't be that bad ... but funny nonetheless!! :grin:
  15. Classic! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dunno anything about their flatspots but I recently learned much about their backfiring tendency..... I was waiting to go over the Toongabbie railway bridge a week ago when a splitting yellow GT650R backed-off the throttle abeam my open window (yeah, I was driving the wife's 380) and fark me the backfire was loud! I mean, I have been around many things that go bang really loudly in my time in green many years ago (still have the appropriate licences/permits), but man when something lets rip like a SLR right next to you between you and a brick wall.... :shock: :shock:

I near s#at is all I will admit..... :grin: :grin:

I liked the numberplate though..... H**RDR (or similar) :wink:
  16. SV650 has something similar, they cut power in 2nd and third gear to pass a noise emission test (accelerating hard past a mic in 2nd and 3rd gear). You just take out the wires that tell it its in 2nd and 3rd gear (the 99-09 were carbed so these wires were 100% for this purpose). Then bam, full power in 2nd and 3rd.