Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GT250R Charging system

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by moforila, Nov 1, 2007.

1. I made an earlier post about my battery problems here

One of the suggestions was to test the charging system, I turned the bike on (which hesitated to start, had to run start it) While the bike was running I discounted the positive connection and placed my volt meter between the connections.

I got some strange results, at first the meter was set to AC which for some reason was giving a reading of 15 - 19 volts or 1.5 - 1.9 even revved (Cant remember now I can double check that). The results we not constant they kept varying, jumping up and down.

I switched the meter to DC and also received some random results, fluctuating values between 0.5 and 1.5.

Are these results expected?
  2. Don't take the leads off when you test for voltage. I'm amazed your meter is still functioning at all :shock: :shock: Just test between the + & - terminals on the battery whilst the motor is running. Your charging sstem is supplying DC current by the time it reaches the battery. Use the DC voltage range.
  3. What should I expect to see for a correctly functioning system?
  4. You should see the voltage rise as you rev the engine up to around 14.5V or a little more and then stabilise as you rev it even more
  5. ok cool, just a note for my first post I was meant to say the results was the current not volts.