Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXS1000 pillion comfort

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by botch, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Hey all

I will be off my restricted licence later this year, and have my heart set on a GSXS1000.

I do, however, want to start taking my wife on the back. Does anyone on here have a GSXS, and ride with a pillion? Just curious whether it is reasonably comfortable or whether it just flat out sucks.

Cheers in advance
  2. Only one way to find out, head down to the store and bung her on the back....
  3. I just looked at a photo, and I'd have to say, unless she is an Olympic gymnast, the answer would be no.....
  4. She is quite flexible....
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Nice bike but the lack of luggage and poor pillion put me off. The salesman sat on the back for me and looked pretty silly. Bought Honda vfr800f instead.
  6. Sick bike but if I put my wife on the back she would spend most of the ride screaming in my ear I would say
  7. Bummer....not the responses I was hoping for!

I would be by myself 95% of the time, so I reckon I can justify her uncomfort somewhat.

Hell, if people can pillion on a supersport, it must be doable on a supernaked.
  8. You could, but there's comfy supersports and not so comfy supersports. No different for naked's I would assume.
  9. Doable and tolerable are different things. She's probably gonna resent you after an hour or two. If you really want that bike, then by all means, go for it. I've never been on the back of a GSXS1000 but it looks like the least comfortable bike Suzuki has ever made from a pillion standpoint.
    I would ask what you want from the bike, and also ask your wife if she really wants to be a pillion. I understand you want to share it with her but don't expect her to be raving about it on something like that. Unless she really does have fun in which case the seat doesn't matter and she'll be on her own bike soon.
    If you both really want her on the back of a bike and it's enough of a priority to influence which bike you want, DON'T get one with the strap over the seat. Get one with handles on the side or the back, or get a rack with a grab rail.
    It's very difficult to hold onto a seat strap and not fall backwards under acceleration because you can't lean forward enough as a pillion to offset that (I speak as being a pillion with a partner who is significantly taller than me and our helmets would clash frequently with that seating arrangement). The other option is that she holds onto you which could get on your nerves. Unless you like the cuddle.
  10. Just get 'love handles'. Mrs Lionz does the Repsol and the baby blade with them. I barely know she's there. Wish i could say the same when we're off the bike :whistle:

love handles.
    • Funny Funny x 2