Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXR 750 - Long distance rides

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jmnug2, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying an '02 model GSXR 750. I've had a test ride and was impressed by it and I'm sure I'll get used to the riding position after a couple of weeks.
    I just wanted to know whether anyone has done any touring on one and what your experience was like. I'm just worried that my wrists will be too sore to ride after an hour on the bike but I'd really like to head up to Sydney on it some day.

Cheers Guys,

2. I haven't done any really long rides on mine yet, but I commute for an hour each way on it five days a week.

The forward lean does get a bit strenuous after about that long - weight on the wrists, numb hands and stiff back. If you can get a route that's not just 100km/h straight lines it should be fine, and be prepared to have rest/stretch stops every now and then.

Otherwise, suck it up, you'll be fine!

If you did want to go the soft option :wink: you can get bar risers, heated grips, throttle rocker (cruise control) and a back protector worn nice and firm will help support the spine.
  3. The gixer 1000 was quite nice on long trips and I can't imagine the 750 being much different. Maybe a little buzzier?

Supporting your weight by gripping the tank with your knees and not locking your arms in place relieves a lot of the pain/numbness riding long distances.
  4. <waves watch before jmung2's eyes>

you will listen to DarkHorse

5. I was riding a 2000 model for 3 weeks, and did a 5 hour ride, and that was enough for me to not want to tour on one. I managed it okay, but I would not want to do it again the next day.

Although, once I got above 125km/h the wind really held most of my weight.
  6. Pretty much every single sports bike on the planet may be converted to a comfortable sporty-tourer for about $150 with a set of 2" bar risers. Very few people do it though. They'd much rather biatch and moan that XXX sportsbike is uncomfortable, compromise and go buy a sports-tourer, and then biatch and moan that it isn't sporty enough for them. Go figure.
  7. Thanks for the responses guys. It seems that the problem can be fixed fairly easily with handle bar risers. Where is the best place to get handle bar risers, what are the different types and how much could I expect to pay for the different types?

8. Not to take this off topic....... but will bar risers (say 2") affect the handling to a great extent?
  9. Not only that, but will you really see a difference between raising the bars opposed to standard height?
  10. Search google on "adjustable clip-ons", or "raised clip-ons", or "helibars". Rod Tingate is a Melbourne based helibar manufacturer and can make bars as per your needs, and is surprisingly cheap.

They don't affect the handling of the bike at all. If you get fully adjustable clip-ons and adjust the stance to be wider, as well as higher, then you'll find that most sports bikes become a LOT easier to steer without having to hunch right over to get the elbows down far enough.

That's the thing with sports bikes. They really are designed for race track use, including the bar position, which means an aerodynamic head-down, bum-up position, with the elbows down beside the tank, and applying steering leverage that way. Unless you're "on it" and in a race-tuck, then the bar position is less than optimal for everything else. For the vast majority of road riders their sports bike can be made easier to steer and more comfortable with a set of bar risers/helibars. Unfortunately it appears to carry a bit of a stigma for many sports-bike riders, even though most would actually benefit from it.

Explained above. In terms of ease of steering, yes. It can make a significant difference when sitting upright. The bike will be easier to control in every position other than a racing tuck.
  11. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SOOOoooo true.

I rode a ZXR750 (apparently one of the most uncomfortable bikes) that had an AFR comfort kit fitted. Was a great scoot.

When I was at the AFR, I noticed MANY bikes in the car park with risers and renthals.

It really is the smart move.
  12. With or without bar risers, you'd want to break the Hume up into bite-size bits doing it on a sportsbike, IMO. Maybe stay somewhere overnight so that it's two 5-6 hour riding days rather than one 10-11 hour day. Then break those up further with a fuel stop, meal and walk around every couple of hours. Doable, but better to do it sensible...
  13. And/or. of course, spending some time on the coast rather than the Hume - further, but much prettier and twistier.
  14. Just remembered another thing that will help - get a tank bag (even a small one if it's full enough) for the trip. Good for keeping wets, wallet, phone etc for quick access if needed, but also gives you something to lean your chest on without lying right down on the tank, taking the weight off your wrists and the strain off your back.
  15. get yo self an airhawk seat cover...... bloody fantastic things

16. Just remember Nick Sanders, circumnavigate the world, dirt track across the Nubian desert, stock 2007 R1...yeah, I'd think you could make it to Sydney on a Gixxer.