Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXR 600 Track bike.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by gix750, May 7, 2006.

1. Bought a 1997 GSXR 600 for about 5 grand that I want to use for a track bike and i decided to do a few things to improve it as a track bike.
    Suspension was the firs thing to do as the original suspensions was way to soft so I got .95 Kg fork springs put in and replaced the rear shock spring as well originals are .65Kg springs bit soft for my weight.
    As well as spring I got the forks and shock re-valved with the new generation Ktec valves. These things you would think the suspension is stuffed when you push down on it at stand still but they work great on the track lots of grip and feel still have the dampening rates set soft though as I am still new to the bike.
    Got some maintenance things to do so I checked valve clearances replaced chain and sprockets, I went one tooth down on the front sprocket as this helps to pull you out of corners but I found it hard sometimes to be in the right gear at Broadford, growing a set of balls and picking up the pace would probably help. Replaced oil and filter, replace throttle cable as the one on the bike was about to jam or snap not good.
    K&N filter was put in to help breathing and a Factory jet kit installed with a 2 degree ignition advancer to help things along. The Jets are of the titanium type they last longer I am told.
    Cam chain tensioned is a little bit of a problem it backs off at high revs when you back off the throttle not good so I got a manually adjustable one from Balls for $145 dollars.
    Might consider changing the cam chain at a latter date for now it works.
    Race fairings were another thing I wanted so I bought a set on E-Bay for $500 dollars delivered to my door. They cost $1000 dollars in Australia and would take more then 6 weeks to make. I hope to have them soon and fit them to the bike.
    Have installed rear set brackets that you can get from Rocket racing these are cheaper then complete rear sets and because you use your original pegs and set leaver action isn't compromised. I had cheap rear sets on one bike and it made shifting harder.
    Braided lines was another thing I got done as the original hoses were due for a change this dramatically improved the feel of the brakes best of all it gives me more confidence to brake later going into a corner a problem I had on the last Broadford track day I had.
    I am yet to try out the other modifications as the bike is still in the shop but I hope to do another track day before winter sets in.
    Other things I hope to do cost permitting install a compression adjustment kit as the original forks in the 1997 model don't come with this, a make shift setup had to be setup bit like a bleeder valve. I am looking for latter model lower fork tubes from a bent set of forks that has compression adjustment but that can wait for now as I don't fully require it.
    Exhaust modification need to redo the exhaust to give a little more clearance, I can't just get another muffler as the flange and exhaust size will still inhibit clearance. I will work on this latter in the winter break more likely.
    The tyres I got though better for the road then track are ok for now but next spring I hope to have a set of slicks as I would like to take advantage of the extra grip the suspension give.
    Well that’s it for now will have photos when bike is complete have ordered Broadford shots post them soon.

2. Good on you champ, track bikes are great fun. I've got an 02 Gixxer600 trackie. Highsided it last weekend from overconfidence but I'll be back out on the bitumen in about 5 weeks.

Sounds like you've gone all out with modifications, I just gave mine a service, new chain and braided lines :)
  3. The bike is just about done and it couldn't have come any sooner as I want to get on the track once and for all. I have a mate at work that will be spraying the fairings for me in blue and I only need the exhaust and tyres to complete the bike. :grin:
    Hear are some photos if anyone is interested.

4. Ahhh, can only dream of getting a track bike. Looks good mate - going flat blue or is there a spiffy design going on it?
  5. Tenoq I am going the blue thats on the top of the tank but will have stickers and maybe some decals but I will have to see.
  6. Sweet :D

Don't forgot the after photos now. ;)
  7. Sounds good Gix.

Don't bother with race slicks unless you have tyre warmers, sticky road tyres are more than enough for mortals (you and me!).

Braided lines are a good start, but make sure to get decent pads as well. Get some sintered pads, or ask 7thsin what works for him.

Instead of changing the front sprocket, it could be an idea to invest in a range of rear sprockets (i.e. +/- 1/2 teeth on standard, works much better, and doesn't affect the gearing so dramatically.

It sounds like you've got all the basics sorted, have fun!
  8. lookin very nice indeed! get trackin!
  9. Good advice! and though rears may cost a little more, they should be easier/quicker to change than a front sprocket on a bike like yours.
  10. Well the project is mostly finished, just a few odds and ends like get the carburation right as its running rich, maybe some dyno work required there.
    I went the slicks though and they complimented the suspension well, it's only a personal opinion but they are far gripier the road tyres and more stable.
    Tyre warmers will be bought soon as they took about four laps of Broadford to heat up but when they did it was great the grip is fantastic. An interesting note is that the carcass on a slick is a lot firmer then a road tyre making the suspension feel stiffer.

Alittle more work is going to be done on the suspension to give me a little more adjustment more to ease my mind then any shot coming in the handling.
  11. Looks good, should be a whole heap of fun. Only my opinion, but it could really do with a double bubble screen. You soon find out on the track that most screens on sports bikes are only designed with the bikes looks in mind and don't work very well (plus it'll give it a real racer look!).

There's no doubt in my mind that slicks are grippier than road tyres (when up to temp!), but I am doubtful whether I can ride at the pace where that extra grip comes into play.

I personally prefer road legal race tyres, but only because I'm a tightarse, and can't be bothered putting up with the hassle of tyre warmers.

Take it easy on those slicks for a couple of laps, they can be damn slippery when cold (I bet you already know that!!).
  12. Tell me about it! I road in the wet first and steped out a couple of times going slow, just trying to get the new coating off. Even when the track was dry I thought the tyres were hot enough and I opened up on a bend and promptly left a black line down, safe and predictable though. If I had more power I may of lost it. The bubble screen may be a good idea, I will look into it.
  13. It's been a while since I put a post on how my 600 is doing soI thought I would write some more.
    After the practise day at Broadford I went out fix the fuelling problem I had.
    I changed the clip position of the needle but in the proses broke the retainer that holds the needle in place I had to get a new slide. My nimble thumbs cost me $60. Once repaired I promptly booked for a Philip Island track day and all was looking good. I had purchased some tyre warmers and found them to be very good certainly help to give you more confidence on the track and help save the tyres as well.
    I was soon to be disappointed though as I got only one lap in and the bike wouldn't rev over 9000RPM. I was very despondent and decided to open up the slides to see what was going on and found the stoper that holds the needle had come loose causing the needle to come out of the slide. Thing is in the process of trying to repair it I lost the "o" ring and couldn't get one at the track, all in all it was a very bad day.
    I then took the bike straight from the track to DynoBike in Moorabbin ad told him my tail. One week later I had the bike back with Dyno graph indicating 95Hp at 12000RPM and a decent torque kick at 9000RPM to 12000RPM. This was going to be fun. I can recommend that if you are re-jetting a bike go to a place that has a Dyno as it’s very hard to test the bike to its full rev range on the road plus track bikes aren’t that entire road legal.
    Again I booked the Island and carburation was lovely.
    Gearing I think is still a little tall so have bought some new sprocket to try out.
    Certain points of the Island are getting a bit bumpy so I backed off some rebound and upped the Preload one notch but found the front couldn't recover quickly enough. Static sag was set to 30mm Front and 30mm rear with my weight on the bike but the lack of dampening adjustment on the front doesn’t help. I bought a second hand set of forks from Dandenong wreckers swapped all the internals and traded my old forks back all up $200. Now I have a lot more adjustment in the front and just for good measure a little extra tolerance was adjusted in the adjusters about 2.5mm extra adjustment.
    The 600 Super sports bikes have progressed so far in 10years its amazing so I couldn’t expect my 600 to steer as fast as a late model 600 as on new bikes the chassis geometry is totally different. For example in modern 600 bikes the engine sits higher up the frames are shorter and the swing arms longer, the rear sub frame and seat sit higher up. If you ride an old 600 to a modern one the differences are vast. Still I was thinking of ways to sharpen steering and as luck would have it the 97 GSXR 600 rear shock is adjustable for rear ride hight. You place shims in-between the top nut and the shock retaining bracket. It has a canter leaving type of affect for example 1mm shim will raise the rear 5mm for example. Max you can raise the rear is 18mm in total but stability is greatly compromised, so we opted for a moderate change 10mm in the rear and drop the forks 5mm through the clamps. I am yet to try it out but have booked a ride day on the 23rd so I will see how the old Girl handles.
    I have removed the old Clipons and replaced them with Valtermoto ones, these help put you in a better racers position and i was surprised in haw much lighter they were to the originals as the originals are solid alloy where the new ones are hollow and don’t have end weights, you also have a wider grip that can help with counter steering.
    Comfort was another problem as I am not 20 anymore and the Gixer is a very cramped bike to begin with so I removed the seat pad and replaced it with an inch and a half foam pad that has been moulded to the seat. My knees are not bent into such an sharp angle now and I am a lot more comfortable which is important as if your in to much pain its very hard to concentrate.
    After the last ride day I found a lot of rust flakes in the fuel filter. The tank was all rusted out, a pin hole had formed and was leaking at the flange point of the tank so of to the wreckers again and I managed to get a clean tank but the wrong colour, still black and grey shouldn't look to out of place. I will polish it up and get it sprayed later on as I will have some time after the 23rd.
    My last buy was a bush button operated lap timer as i haven't got a clue in what times I am doing so I got a small GPT one. The instructions are a joke as they are translated from Italian in pigeon English so I just started playing with buttons until I could work it out. The time I do in my head to the actual lap time are more then likely worlds apart so the lap timer can either prove a point or deflate my ego, time will tell.
    One good bit of news after the carburation fiasco when all was repaired I managed to scrape my knee for the first time at Siberia, that felt good as it proved to me that the track bike progress was heading in the right direction.
  14. Some photo's of my last Island day.

15. Wow, you've come a long way with the bike there champ and it's looking nice too :wink: Done quite a few mods to it now eh?
    I was thinking of raising the rear ride height on my Gixxer trackbike, but I didnt know if it was factory-adjustable, I guess if the 97 ones were then then 02 should be.

What's the Island like on tyres? I'm coming over in December for two trackdays back to back and need to know if I should bring some fresh hoops with me.
  16. The Island isn't to bad on tyres. I am running soft Bridgestone slicks, have done two track days with them and I should get at least one more out of the rear. I found the rear to be balling up a lot on the rear but that could be a setup issue or wrong tyre pressures, the front was only lightly feathered.

17. gixxer

Sounds impressive. Would love to get out on the track.