Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GSXR 600 K6 - Noise on startup

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dburmas, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Hey All,
    (My first real post). I got a GSXR 600 K6 model. However, when I turn the ignition to "on" and the tacho does it's Min-Max-Min rotation I hear a few creeks comming from the bike (No sure where). This is BEFORE I try and start the bike.

Can anyone tell me if:

1) This is something to worry about.
    2) What tests the bike does during this startup phase, and what items I may check to see where the creeking is coming from.

2. It's not the fuel pump priming that you can hear is it?
  3. +1.

The other obvious question is, did you just get the bike and this is your first FI bike, or is this a "new sound" on a bike you've had for a while?
  4. No. Or at least I don't think so.

I heard another bike (600 K7) startup and didn't hear any scraping.
  5. It's my first FI bike. I also just got it and the sound has been there since I've had it (Only 2 days old). What check are done during startup?

1. Fuel pump priming.
    2. ???

any others?
  6. What your hearing is the exhaust valve opening and closing, if you get under the bike there is a pair of cables that control what they call the SET valve in the exhaust...those cables run to an electric motor in the ducktail on theRH sideof the bike...when you turn the ignition on the set valve opens and closes as a test

7. Great. I'll check this out tonight :)
  8. Hey Bamm-Bamm,
    Nice work. The noise is the valve opening / closing. It's just a bit creeky!